Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2006, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 9,236 times

Advertisements

My husband might be transferred to Lumberton. Does anyone know of a good place to live that would have good schools, places to shop, and a decent size city? I looks like Fayetteville is the biggest city close by. I haven't read the nicest things about Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2006, 04:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
I once lived in Lumberton and Fayetteville. Given a choice between the two, I'd rather live in Lumberton on the north end of town.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:26 AM

223 posts, read 1,065,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjenna View Post
My husband might be transferred to Lumberton. Does anyone know of a good place to live that would have good schools, places to shop, and a decent size city? I looks like Fayetteville is the biggest city close by. I haven't read the nicest things about Fayetteville.
My advice is to actually go to Fayetteville and Lumberton, spend a few days or more and check out both. Fayetteville is a much larger city than Lumberton, so it depends what you are looking for. If you go by what you read on this forum, than you must think Fayetteville is the most awful place in NC. There are far worse towns to live in believe me... we regularly drive through several of them everytime we go to the beach.
Lived briefly in Fayetteville years ago (had to move for job reasons), and have lived for nearly 20 years in Lee County which is about 30-45 mins. north of Fayetteville. For various reasons (work, friends, other) have spent time in Fayetteville and Lumberton. Here's my take on the 2 towns:
Lumberton is just way too small for my taste and has a remote, downtrodden feel to it imo. Sanford (small city), where I currently live seems like a beautiful, booming metropolis by comparison!
Fayetteville does have its unappealing areas (e.g. tacky Bragg Blvd with its tatoo parlors and gun shops), it also has some nice areas as well. Neighborhoods near Morganton Road b/w the mall and downtown, and Hay Street area, as well as some subdivisions springing up southwest of town are good. If you have children, research the public schools for neighborhoods. Because it is bigger, if you want you have more options for non-public schools including several Catholic and other Christian schools, as well as an excellent private school Fayetteville Academy. You'll find all the usual chain stores and restaurants, as well as good ethnic such as ,Oriental (Korean, Thai, Japanese), German and Greek. Numerous houses of worship: Prostestant, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Jewish temple to name a few. Downtown is being revitalized and has an artsy feel. Traffic is bad, but that's relative depending on where you're coming from. There is crime in Fayetteville, though I can't say I've ever been "scared" to go there and shop, eat, visit friends. But there is also crime in Lumberton, just on a smaller scale.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:34 AM

94 posts, read 345,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariGirl View Post
My advice is to actually go to Fayetteville and Lumberton, spend a few days or more and check out both. Fayetteville is a much larger city than Lumberton, so it depends what you are looking for. If you go by what you read on this forum, than you must think Fayetteville is the most awful place in NC. There are far worse towns to live in believe me... we regularly drive through several of them everytime we go to the beach.
Lived briefly in Fayetteville years ago (had to move for job reasons), and have lived for nearly 20 years in Lee County which is about 30-45 mins. north of Fayetteville. For various reasons (work, friends, other) have spent time in Fayetteville and Lumberton. Here's my take on the 2 towns:
Lumberton is just way too small for my taste and has a remote, downtrodden feel to it imo. Sanford (small city), where I currently live seems like a beautiful, booming metropolis by comparison!
Fayetteville does have its unappealing areas (e.g. tacky Bragg Blvd with its tatoo parlors and gun shops), it also has some nice areas as well. Neighborhoods near Morganton Road b/w the mall and downtown, and Hay Street area, as well as some subdivisions springing up southwest of town are good. If you have children, research the public schools for neighborhoods. Because it is bigger, if you want you have more options for non-public schools including several Catholic and other Christian schools, as well as an excellent private school Fayetteville Academy. You'll find all the usual chain stores and restaurants, as well as good ethnic such as ,Oriental (Korean, Thai, Japanese), German and Greek. Numerous houses of worship: Prostestant, Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Jewish temple to name a few. Downtown is being revitalized and has an artsy feel. Traffic is bad, but that's relative depending on where you're coming from. There is crime in Fayetteville, though I can't say I've ever been "scared" to go there and shop, eat, visit friends. But there is also crime in Lumberton, just on a smaller scale.

I agree, MariGirl. I like Fayetteville. Some of the best Korean food I've ever eaten was in F'ville.

I like Sanford too. I was going to recommend Sanford to her, as a matter of fact, but I figured it was too far away. My husband's uncle and cousin have a veterinarian practice there. It's a nice little town.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,880 times
Fay has a resemblence of a town, unlike Lumberton. It will cater to military, because of two bases and economy dependent on such.
Fay has a choice of stores, non chain restaurants etc.
Lumberton will do nothing for you, it is surrounded by poor people choked by taxation, not much happening /to do. Desperation is visible apart from the ones involved in further sapping this county.

E7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina