Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 01:15 PM

628 posts, read 400,122 times

Advertisements

Gov. Cooper just announced the state will not move into Phase 3 until at least July 17th, and said masks are now required statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 01:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
No link?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:32 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No link?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:58 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,352,099 times
Just heard this on NPR. Interesting to note re masks is the enforcement: businesses can be cited by law enforcement if they don't require employees and customers to wear masks. But also, if a customer refuses to wear a mask (and the store has a sign saying masks are required) they can be cited for trespassing.

Old 06-24-2020, 02:08 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,774 times
Here's the official order on masks. It starts on Page 5. The order for masks starts on 6/26 at 5pm.

https://files.nc.gov/governor/docume...oypNqJ0zLCrmfY

Old 06-24-2020, 02:20 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,437,629 times
With nationwide spikes in progress, I would hope no more opening would be attempted. At this rate, we are looking at a horrible July and August. Phase 3 would be reckless

Old 06-24-2020, 02:31 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,222,310 times
How's this mandatory mask rule going to work out, when a significant number of people in this state are Trumpists? The Facebook comments section for my local (Wilmington) news is already full of comments like this one:

..." if you believe that there is a virus out there then you are dumb Its the democrats thats the virus"

And this one: "BUT YET RIOTERS CAN DESTROY OUR CITIES AND NOT WEAR A MASK! ROY BOY CAN WALK WITH THE, NOT WEARING A MASK! THIS IS A HOAX OF A LOCKDOWN "

Old 06-24-2020, 02:35 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
Thanks! I searched earlier and didn't find any information.

I will be sort of disappointed if certain states (not NC, but TX, GA, FL) didn't take the necessary precautions and cause those of us who had to suffer for months in shutdown to have to shutdown again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
How's this mandatory mask rule going to work out, when a significant number of people in this state are Trumpists? The Facebook comments section for my local (Wilmington) news is already full of comments like this one:

..." if you believe that there is a virus out there then you are dumb Its the democrats thats the virus"

And this one: "BUT YET RIOTERS CAN DESTROY OUR CITIES AND NOT WEAR A MASK! ROY BOY CAN WALK WITH THE, NOT WEARING A MASK! THIS IS A HOAX OF A LOCKDOWN "
At least the most dense areas tend to be pretty ok with mask

Old 06-24-2020, 03:10 PM

628 posts, read 400,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
No link?
No, I watched it live online, so I had no link to provide.

Old 06-24-2020, 05:00 PM

6,120 posts, read 4,613,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post

I worry about that too. There is that element just about everywhere. I will say of the Republicans I know, some of them seem to make an issue out of wearing masks, especially if it's coming from a Democrat Governor. But there are those who do wear masks and take other precautions because it's the smart thing to do, and they're not letting a bad political trend rule over them.

New Hanover is a county that would have a fair amount of people like that, but probably still in a minority. There are, however, those counties in the state where that mindset is even more pervasive, so I wonder how this is going to go there. Most of the comments that I've seen on the local TV news feeds, looking just out of curiosity, are coming from the rural counties in those areas, not the urban counties. While there's a lot I like about the rural counties, this kind of mentality is something that is definitely shameful from too many of their residents. And it makes that much harder for the people in those areas who are trying to do the right thing, by protecting themselves and others.

Even though the order explicitly said that law enforcement wouldn't arrest someone for solely not wearing a mask, it does say that if someone refuses, they either can be arrested for trespassing if they continue to refuse and don't leave. There are those activist sheriffs though, who I could see taking it upon themselves to vow not to enforce the part of the order that they're supposed to (i.e. trespassing) because of political posturing to those kinds of constituents. It's really a shame.

A lot of that mentality comes from the so-called "Reopen" movement, which is really based more on "Don't Tread on Me" rhetoric and has to be one of the most useless movements ever created. It hasn't helped anybody.

This started off supposedly as "we need to get this economy reopened, look at all these people who are out of work, going to be in poverty, etc", which is a valid concern. But it's turned into this, so apparently it really wasn't ever about that with some of these people, and it's been that crowd that has tried to make trouble.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-24-2020 at 05:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina