Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 10:19 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times

Advertisements

NC needs to take a cue from Massachusetts, which once had some of the highest Covid #s in the nation and now has the lowest transmission rate in the nation: Wear a friggin' mask and practice social distancing. This is not difficult, people. You want to avoid another lockdown? You want the economy to start back up again? WEAR A MASK AND PRACTICE SOCIAL DISTANCING. Even now, almost everybody in Massachusetts continues to do this. Why? BECAUSE THEY DON"T WANT ANOTHER LOCKDOWN. And until a vaccine is approved, these are the only measures that work. For those who continue to politicize something as relatively trivial as wearing a mask: grow up. If you think Covid-19 is a "hoax" perpetrated by "Dems" or "Libs," you have serious mental problems--and really need to unplug from right-wing crazy world. Who knew that "Dems" and "Libs" were SO powerful that they have perpetrated such a "hoax" on the WHOLE WORLD!! Frankly, it would be nice if you stopped proving to the world that the U.S. is full of uneducated crazy people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 06:17 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Low level misdemeanors (RE: bolded part), although I don't think you're seriously proposing this? I think I take your point as these are some crazy times, and even if people can agree on nothing else, maybe they can agree on that point.

I do have to wonder, just out of sheer historic curiosity, since we're talking about the pandemic, how people in past generations would have handled this at various points in recent history, since the Spanish Flu of the later 1910s is the closest example to go by. Perhaps how each decade since the 1950s would have handled it, and to stick with North Carolina, how some of our past governors and citizens would have handled it if they knew then what we know now, but we were in the past culturally speaking.

You are correct Jowel, I'm not actually proposing the point you placed in bold. Just emphasizing, in a semi-jovial way, that we are going down a slippery slope when we begin to allow law enforcement to publicly announce the laws THEY choose to enforce.
Crazy place this NC I've come to know and love..... and by default... crazy place this USA.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:31 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The sheriffs of Sampson and Halifax counties are saying they won't enforce the mask requirement...

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...k-requirement/
Other sheriffs in ENC have joined in.

https://www.wnct.com/local-news/enc-...-mask-mandate/

Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
You are correct Jowel, I'm not actually proposing the point you placed in bold. Just emphasizing, in a semi-jovial way, that we are going down a slippery slope when we begin to allow law enforcement to publicly announce the laws THEY choose to enforce.
Crazy place this NC I've come to know and love..... and by default... crazy place this USA.
My sentiment exactly !1 What in the world has
happened to the NC I have lived in for 42 years?

To top it off I have had so many beliefs about how
progressive and cool the US is just blown to smithereens.

We as a country have clearly slid right to the bottom.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:02 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,399,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
How's this mandatory mask rule going to work out, when a significant number of people in this state are Trumpists? The Facebook comments section for my local (Wilmington) news is already full of comments like this one:

..." if you believe that there is a virus out there then you are dumb Its the democrats thats the virus"

And this one: "BUT YET RIOTERS CAN DESTROY OUR CITIES AND NOT WEAR A MASK! ROY BOY CAN WALK WITH THE, NOT WEARING A MASK! THIS IS A HOAX OF A LOCKDOWN "
Wilmington and immediate area is Trump country , look at the two
huge boat parades for Trump we have had within the last month.

There is something seriously wrong in the worship of this corrupt man and his
grifter family. That Americans obviously want this is a hard pill to swallow for me.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:27 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
The resistance to wearing a mask either comes from stupidity or epic self-centeredness. Or both. There are no words that can characterize the politicalization of wearing a mask. None!

Old 06-26-2020, 12:36 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,603,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Point well taken!

Old 06-27-2020, 08:05 AM

653 posts, read 221,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Gov. Cooper just announced the state will not move into Phase 3 until at least July 17th, and said masks are now required statewide.
The Governor really screwed the pooch on this. His plans have failed miserably and now the virus spreads. I happen to think spreading the virus amongst the young and healthy is the best way to get past this, as they can withstand it, but for those who wanted to limit the spread this Governor has been a colossal failure. He waited over 3 months to finally make it mandatory to wear a mask and then that law is weak and unenforceable. He destroyed 40% of minority owned businesses by destroying our economy and now he wants to make the remaining businesses be the face mask police rather than making it the individuals responsibility. If he really thought lives were more important than votes, he would have handled all this differently. He chose votes over lives. Blood on his hands.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 AM

653 posts, read 221,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
How's this mandatory mask rule going to work out, when a significant number of people in this state are Trumpists? The Facebook comments section for my local (Wilmington) news is already full of comments like this one:

..." if you believe that there is a virus out there then you are dumb Its the democrats thats the virus"

And this one: "BUT YET RIOTERS CAN DESTROY OUR CITIES AND NOT WEAR A MASK! ROY BOY CAN WALK WITH THE, NOT WEARING A MASK! THIS IS A HOAX OF A LOCKDOWN "
I love how the left lies to blame Trumpist only. We have all seen the news coverage of who are at the bars not wearing masks. They are young people. Facts is that young people are disproportionately Democrat over Republican by a wide margin. So you can bet that more than half of the people at bars and in the protests that you did not have a concern about are Democrats who support eh failed Governor. Not all, but no less than half.

Young people are mostly Democrats

Old 06-27-2020, 08:16 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
I’m eagerly awaiting how those upset over cooper are reacting to Texas & Florida. Particularly as reopening also are delayed and that they might have to go backwards in further restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina