Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 04:48 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdrt185 View Post
JDLGR
What criteria would make someone NOT ELIGIBLE for Tier 3???
psdrt185, I hate to have to say this, but I'm not actually sure. Definitely intervening employment may have an effect on your Tier 3 (like if you exhausted benefits, then got a job that you quit or were fired - that employer would have to be used as the last employer and the entire adjudication process would have to be gone through). But as far as just exhausting benefits and not having yet obtained employment, I can't say because we haven't really been given any specifics. I would presume that anyone who has exhausted Tier 1 and Tier 2 would be eligible. But does that go back as far as their inception? Or does it have a cutoff point? I can't answer that. I know I work for the ESC, but trust me, I'm not the only one that has not been given specifics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 04:50 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogfan78 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Again, great info!

Just to make sure that I understand, if I don't meet the 1.5x rule (which I would not for my new benefit year), I would get whatever benefits are due me under the new claim, then the remaining 8 weeks of my tier 2 EUC benefits would be carried forward. Then (assuming that I am not yet employed), I would be eligible or tier 3 EUC?

Thanks in advance! I really appreciate your help!
Yes, that is how I understand it. I've seen some claims recently where people did not qualify for extensions on their new benefit year, and then their remaining EUC from their old benefit year was brought forward. I would assume you would then get the additional EUC (Tier 3, Tier 2, Tier 4) added on.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM

37 posts, read 97,375 times
I don't understand. How can you help your claimants if your don't REALLY know the entire process of eligibility or non eligibility?

Old 01-03-2010, 05:32 PM

86 posts, read 174,164 times
PSDRT I was told on Thursday by 3 different reps that if i exhausted Tier 1 and 2 in my last benefit year (08/2008 - 08/2009), i am NOT eligible for Tier 3 in my new benefit year (08/2009 - 08/2010). i know, it's wrong but they kept telling me and telling me that. i spoke to a lot of different people over the week-end, including the labor lawyer and i know i am eligible. i am calling on monday and will do whatever it takes to get through their heads. this stupidity starts to annoy me more every day

Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM

The lawyer told me that the bottom line is:
unless you were disqualified by ESC for fraud or any other specific issues, or you had a job in between - you unemployment eligibility continues from the original claim. If you exhausted tier 1 and 2, you are eligible (unless you started your unemployment before may 2006, that's the only cut off date). That's it. It's very simple and it's the law. These are the guidelines ESC should follow including NC ESC instead of making people miserable and make them go through all of this.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Member2009
Did you receive your EB benefits (Extended Benefits) That is the state funded extension. From what I understand it runs: (When WE were eligible at that time up to Nov 6th when the new law passed) 1: Regular UI Benefits
2: Tier 1 Benefits
3: Tier 2 Benefits
4: EB Benefits (Extended Benefits)
Now, as of Nov 6th, from what I understand it is Tier 1..Tier2..when exhausted roll into Tier 3.. Tier 4. If haven't received the EB extension THEN roll into EB Benefits.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:15 PM

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...mp/~c111GSxAfk:: This is the link of the actual bill. You will see there that you are qualified.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:26 PM

64 posts, read 168,280 times
For the most part esc reps have said that they arent able to tell people if they are eligible for the extensions and would have to wait on letters to arrive for guidance. The operators are able to reopen bye's and tell you what the computer screen is showing.

But for the most part based on what's been posted on various forums from several states that are going thru/have been thru this already the operators (phone answering people, claims reps, however you want to term them) are relying on information from managers and supervisors.

Those of us that have been waiting for benefits are the ones that have kept attuned to c-span, legislature, forums, etc. While we did that the esc folks were processing claims, verifying job searches and assisting the unemployed with finding jobs.

So although it is frustrating for us they can't magically fix it. I'm sure most of the esc employees wish they could make this go away! At least with regular ue they have years and years of experience. The first extensions were one learning curve but now we have multiple extensions, benefit years and cut offs.

And you know good and well when you talk to someone you write their names down and freely post it on forums. I'd be scared to tell you anything either for fear of losing one of the few (albeit a pain in the butt atm) jobs that we still retain in the US.

My point I guess is, take it easy on the reps, if you dont like the system then chew out the lawmakers. I think the reps are doing the best with what they have.

Just my two cents, and thats two cents in monopoly money!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:39 PM

PSDTR i exhausted my EB in september, so i now i have to roll into Tier 3. That's how i understand it.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

LynnTE Lawmakers are not going to change my claim, the reps will. I don't have to take it easy, because i have a family to feed. if i take it easy on everybody, my family will have no roof to live under.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina