Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 02:08 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrm97 View Post
it is Job Security for them. The more people that drop off the UE roles earlier than they should, or give up out of frustration and do not use the resources that the employment office has to offer, the fewer DES staffers are needed.
That is not how they are trained - especially in the more politically conservative states which are against any type of "welfare" on principle. This from a Texas Workforce Commission worker:
Quote:
“As a long-time, contracted TWC employee, I ask you to remember that the Texas Workforce Commission is NOT a public-service organization. It is a government/political organization - comprised of political appointees who are funded by and directed by lawmakers. The entire purpose of TWC, regardless of their public relations statements, is welfare reform... to (ultimately) STOP people from collecting public assistance by putting people to work. The primary purpose is to save the government money - not to help people. Although it is true that sometimes people are helped in the process, it is more true that much, much government (read taxpayer) money is wasted on a daily basis, trying to make it appear that the government is helping under-employed and unemployed individuals. As with everything else in America, save personal values and convictions, it is all about the money.

“This is why there is far more guidance to employers regarding denial of benefits than there is guidance to employees about obtaining benefits.”

http://www.city-data.com/forum/20438799-post22.html
In addition, after a while, many long-term staffers lose patience with claimants claimants due to too much dishonesty and irresponsibility. Some become very rude. That is no excuse, of course. Probably the staffers should have revolving positions, i.e., a month on the phones, a month off, and do something else for a while.

However, bottom line, they take their lead from the top. If they are not told how to help people - and are, in fact, discouraged from helping people - the claimant needs to be his own advocate.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-22-2012 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 01:16 PM

21 posts, read 34,715 times
Just left the Unemployment office (NC) for my first Work search review for my EB... WOW.... they wanted the websites and/or contact information for all my searches. I had to sit and write it all in... Then after they took the papers and gave me a copy, they notified me that the EB benefits would stop at the end of this MONTH.... Talk about making my heart sink. I told him that I read online that the possible end date was May 15... he went in the back, came back out and said NOPE, it ends at the end of this month unless you get a letter stating otherwise. What is sad... Half of the letters I get, some I don't. I have been given so much wrong information and just dont know what to do at this point... I think I will go with the information here as it seems a bit more promising and all the ESC workers have never given me the correct information... I feel for them really, they are in a terrible position having to understand legislation and convey the information to us.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:34 PM

18 posts, read 22,222 times
UNBELIEVABLE. This is choas

Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM

This is a response I just got from the US Dept of Labor

The February data will not be released until March 30, meaning that the payable period would not end until late April. So the real confusion is probably stemming from people not being clear about whether they are referring to the month of unemployment data or the projected end of the payable period.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM

latest from US Dept of Labor
North Carolina is currently on EB. The next data to be released that could trigger North Carolina off EB is March 13, 2012 and then March 30. We do not see a situation that would result in NC being off EB with respect to the week ending 3/3/12.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull1 View Post
UNBELIEVABLE. This is choas
Everyone says GOVERNMENT... what it is... LEGAL JARGON.... do you know anyone that can work there way around the LEGAL SYSTEM.... even lawyers have to read all those books... so you know that the people at DES/ESC (whatever they are calling themselves this week) are REALLY LOST!!!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefull1 View Post
latest from US Dept of Labor
North Carolina is currently on EB. The next data to be released that could trigger North Carolina off EB is March 13, 2012 and then March 30. We do not see a situation that would result in NC being off EB with respect to the week ending 3/3/12.
that is like HOPE with a side order of ARSENIC!!!! I am just going to pray on it and keep to the post that says May... Thanks Hopefull1

Old 02-23-2012, 03:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,503 times
Default Help with Extended Benefits answer!!

I just got off the phone with the NC Unemployment office. I finished tier four as of last week, and was told that even though I qualify for the Extended Benefit program, I would only be getting two weeks of checks, as the program ends in NC on March 3. Actually, I had called twice today, and the first time I was told I would only be paid through the end of February 25! The second call I was given the date of March 3. Either way this leaves me out in the cold, along with thousands of others. Why can't I get a clear answer as to whether this program will actually go through until May as indicated by others here??! The second rep told me that the Governor would have to extend it again in the next week for me to get the full EB period of payments. Please anyone, help!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyNC View Post
I just got off the phone with the NC Unemployment office. I finished tier four as of last week, and was told that even though I qualify for the Extended Benefit program, I would only be getting two weeks of checks, as the program ends in NC on March 3. Actually, I had called twice today, and the first time I was told I would only be paid through the end of February 25! The second call I was given the date of March 3. Either way this leaves me out in the cold, along with thousands of others. Why can't I get a clear answer as to whether this program will actually go through until May as indicated by others here??! The second rep told me that the Governor would have to extend it again in the next week for me to get the full EB period of payments. Please anyone, help!
I understand where you are coming from. There is so much information floating around that it is enough to make you insane. What I have learned is that the ESC Office is generally WRONG as they are sent emails telling them what to say... I say WAIT like we are all doing and just check on the website for ESC as well as here. EVERYTHING THAT I HAVE RECEIVED HERE since I started coming to this forum has been SPOT ON!!!

Old 02-23-2012, 03:52 PM

55 posts, read 100,622 times
I have given up calling because I keep getting the same answer even from supervisors - EB ends Feb 25th regardless of what the new legislation says. The don't seem hesitant on their answers either. I know that there are folks on the unemployment forum that seem to think otherwise but much as I'd like to believe them, it's hard to imagine that NC ESC folks are that far out of the loop. I know a woman that posted a question on the main unemployment forum and kinda got chastized for "not reading" an earlier link so some folks prolly don't ask questions for fear of getting the rude treatment. I have gotten quite a bit of help from the local ESC office over the last few months and they really seem sympathetic to us losing our EB but they also seem to know what is going on in NC regardless of what some out of state posters are claiming. Unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina