Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times

Advertisements

Sunny:
What did you think about the White House being bathed in the rainbow colors?

Just so you know, I thought it was a terribly inappropriate, mean spirited poke in the eye to MILLIONS of Americans that sincerely believe "gay" marriage is wrong.

Hardly a way to "bring us together." Magnanimity in victory and all that should be a core competency of the President. Just seemed to me he chose to turn what should have been a people moment into a very ugly political jab.

My view on this "gesture" in no way degrades my support for total equality of gay individuals, I just thought the light show was in poor taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:59 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,398,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Sunny:

Just so you know, I thought it was a terribly inappropriate, mean spirited poke in the eye to MILLIONS of Americans that sincerely believe "gay" marriage is wrong.

Hardly a way to "bring us together." Magnanimity in victory and all that should be a core competency of the President. Just seemed to me he chose to turn what should have been a people moment into a very ugly political jab.

My view on this "gesture" in no way degrades my support for total equality of gay individuals, I just thought the light show was in poor taste.

I felt like an East German listening to Reagan telling Gorbachev to turn down the wall (which is much more of a thumb in the wound. I imagine you think Mr. Regan was distasteful for that comment?)

Most of the US seemed to rally for marriage equality. Charlottes buildings were lit up in rainbow colors. Even Vue Charlotte was erratically flashing rainbow colors. Every major corporation had it in display, etc

Not to mention, wasn't those opposed to the ruling even more distasteful? Basically advocating against our judicial system? Sane sex couples have been disparaged enough. Told we live lives of sin, we're going to ruin society, our love is newer than cell phones, and hurtful derogatory names by politicians. We've been called godless, we've been called unamerican. So if lighting up the whitehouse hurts anyone's feelings, maybe they need to think about others feelings also

Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
Quote:
Sunny:

It was beautiful...I can't understand anyone who thinks a rainbow is inappropriate.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:00 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thank you Sue at the Rock, choloboy36, and Charlotte485, I appreciate it.
I dont know if it was unknown or know detail of Cathode Azure the blue lights they had would cause pictures taken in the place would be blue. Nice place wish they could serve food so they could be open during the day like for this event and free admittance during the day.
Its a little building but I like the wall of French Door and think being right off light rail would draw patrons anytime.

I really appreciate all sides providing opinion in this thread started 2 years ago.
It fascinating to look back where we was five years ago when I started this thread and only 14 states it was legal then.
Not just the US but all the countries that legalized since then.
The US is 17th dand DEnmark was the first in 1989.
I sure got the 20 year prediction wrong

Francois, nope not married and Im ok with it. We have been together for 13 years this fall and the way live our relationship we both are very happy .

I backdoor the question to see how he felt about the idea when A-1 was about to be defeated and he didnt respond. (typical male)
So unless he brings it up (doubtful ) we both will live our lives just as happy.

Do I think there will be new laws in NC other than what was passed in regarding magistrate, sadly but most definitely.
Sunny, I'm glad you're still together.

Having met you in real life I can say that there's an old Midwestern saying that fits you. You're good people.

Old 06-29-2015, 12:02 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thank you Sue at the Rock, choloboy36, and Charlotte485, I appreciate it.
I dont know if it was unknown or know detail of Cathode Azure the blue lights they had would cause pictures taken in the place would be blue. Nice place wish they could serve food so they could be open during the day like for this event and free admittance during the day.
Its a little building but I like the wall of French Door and think being right off light rail would draw patrons anytime.

I really appreciate all sides providing opinion in this thread started 2 years ago.
It fascinating to look back where we was five years ago when I started this thread and only 14 states it was legal then.
Not just the US but all the countries that legalized since then.
The US is 17th dand DEnmark was the first in 1989.
I sure got the 20 year prediction wrong

Francois, nope not married and Im ok with it. We have been together for 13 years this fall and the way live our relationship we both are very happy .

I backdoor the question to see how he felt about the idea when A-1 was about to be defeated and he didnt respond. (typical male)
So unless he brings it up (doubtful ) we both will live our lives just as happy.

Do I think there will be new laws in NC other than what was passed in regarding magistrate, sadly but most definitely.
At least now you have a choice, which is as it should be.

I had to work all weekend. Now I'm off to locate a gay bar so I can throw down in the name of rainbows. I'm still new in town! I have research to do.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Sunny:

FYI, this weekend was "Pride" weekend in many cities and the light show may well have been planned even before the SCOTUS ruling. The last weekend in June is considered the beginning of the Gay Rights movement (see: Stonewall riots, NYC 1969) and the SCOTUS ruling was coincidental to that, but lots of public buildings that change their light colors will do so the last weekend of June to a rainbow, just as they do other colors the rest of the year.

It's not as if the crowd of whom you speak don't already blame Obama for everything from the Pearl Harbor bombing to meteors, so I guess the Executive Branch has realized they might as well express their leanings since they are despised just as much by some of their constituents whether they do or do not.

And for those who disagree with same-sex marriage--well, I don't believe anyone is forcing them to marry someone of the same sex, so how exactly are they personally affected, again?

Old 06-29-2015, 01:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
At least now you have a choice, which is as it should be.

I had to work all weekend. Now I'm off to locate a gay bar so I can throw down in the name of rainbows. I'm still new in town! I have research to do.
Where are you "new in town" to? I can hook you up...

Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
Quote:
Sunny:

I thought it was great. It was an awesome, visible display of support for equality and recognition of a historic moment. Many cities and companies bathed buildings and landmarks in rainbow colors over the weekend, including the Minneapolis I-35 bridge, Disney World, the Empire State Building, Cincinnati landmarks, and Niagara Falls. It was as if a rainbow revolution swept the nation, coinciding with big city prides. The response on social media was overwhelmingly supportive, with legions of Americans turning their social profile pics into rainbow schemes. It is an inclusive gesture, not an exclusive one.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:48 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,427,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Where are you "new in town" to? I can hook you up...
Greensboro. I used to know stuff!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Yes, the support is amazing, who couldnt love a rainbow and equality.

Here is a link of few other landmarks mention https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...1a&oe=5616D4C1

As mention many people changed their profile to rainbow in support.
26 Million People Change Profile Pictures With Facebook's Rainbow Pride Filter | Out Magazine

I commented on Out Magazine Facebook feed
Quote:
"It was cool, viewing not just my gay friends but alot of hetero friends and couples in support of Equality in America."
just two ago and already receive 212 likes and still rising , totally amazing.
When Facebook did this on Saturday, I had place to be but was just looking at my wall that a lot of my 757 FB friends from around the world gay friends, straight friends and couples was changing to rainbow.
Its amazing how many love a rainbow of inclusion

Even Krispy Kreme

southbound_295,, aww so sweet, I dont know how not to be a good person, maybe the name Sunny works, but I believe in following your heart and treat your fellow with the best you can offer regardless of their beliefs or culture.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-29-2015 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina