Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Prop8 Trial - CNN iReport

this federal case may get appeal to the Supreme court and the court may see that
this ban is denying freedom and democracy for all people.
Or not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,101 times
We ban smoking in restaurants and also a lot of farmers now are having problems getting contracts to even grow Tobacco.

Now gay marriage? Am I still in North Carolina? No, I hope it doesn't happen here sorry. I would like to keep North Carolina as conservative as possible and also attempt to keep it a Southern state.

Sorry, I see no reason to follow other states that dropped the ban.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
We ban smoking in restaurants and also a lot of farmers now are having problems getting contracts to even grow Tobacco.

Now gay marriage? Am I still in North Carolina? No, I hope it doesn't happen here sorry. I would like to keep North Carolina as conservative as possible and also attempt to keep it a Southern state.

Sorry, I see no reason to follow other states that dropped the ban.
The farmers knew long time ago when the first state to ban smoking that farmimg tobacco crop where numbered.
There is 38 states now with the ban. So they knew ahead of time to switch to another crop and many of them have. If you drive one of the country roads you will see oodles of soy bean farms. You can be conservative and a gay male it
the same fight the Log Cabin Republicans are doing. It will always be a southern state put a map out and a compass.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The farmers knew long time ago when the first state to ban smoking that farmimg tobacco crop where numbered.
There is 38 states now with the ban. So they knew ahead of time to switch to another crop and many of them have. If you drive one of the country roads you will see oodles of soy bean farms. You can be conservative and a gay male it
the same fight the Log Cabin Republicans are doing. It will always be a southern state put a map out and a compass.
Although I do respect their mission, I'm still stubborn when it comes to the subject of gay marriage. Seems like the gay people I have met have been pretty liberal.

My vote is still against it. I don't see why we should change the law for a certain amount of people. There are states that allow it, go North.

Yes, geographically NC is a southern state. I just don't want to lose our traditional culture.

But change happens so the only thing I can do is vote.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:34 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,586,211 times
Marriage is social institution that is used to promote monogamy, procreation and a stable family unit. Do I agree that every marriage represents this definition, no.

Do I think it needs to be further diluted by society, no.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:14 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
My vote is still against it. I don't see why we should change the law for a certain amount of people. There are states that allow it, go North.
Using this logic, why protect any minority's rights? After all, they are just "a certain amount of people".

The central idea in our constitution is that all are created equally. Eventually, every single struggle aligned with this idea has resulted in the expansion of liberties and equality. But, all have taken time. I expect the same outcome regarding marriage but I don't know how long it will take.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:35 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Using this logic, why protect any minority's rights? After all, they are just "a certain amount of people".

The central idea in our constitution is that all are created equally.
Actually it says "All MEN are created equal."

What about women, are they not equal?

What about the polygamist, are they not "equal"?

Marriage is between a man and a women. Not two men, or two women. Period.

Gay does not equal race, please stop trying to make that connection. It's actually insulting to someone who knows they are born black, white, latino etc and hearing "Jaison" trying to claim he was born a certain way without a lick of evidence is - again, insulting. (Even if their was "evidence", people born blind can't drive. It's called life and reality - we all have to deal with it in some way or another. Sorry.)

Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
Marriage is social institution that is used to promote monogamy, procreation and a stable family unit. Do I agree that every marriage represents this definition, no.

Do I think it needs to be further diluted by society, no.
A homosexual couple or lesbian couple can promote monogamy, procreation, and stable family.
Unlike in the news this past year all we heard about is people having affairs.

Quote:
22 percent of married men have strayed at least once during their married lives.
14 percent of married women have had affairs at least once during their married lives
Quote:
70 percent of married women and 54 percent of married men did not know of their spouses' extramarital activit
Quote:
17 percent of divorces in the United States are caused by infidelity.
Infidelity Statistics, Cheating Spouse Statistics -
;
;
;
;

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-26-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 01-25-2010, 06:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,178,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Gay does not equal race, please stop trying to make that connection.
So??????
No protected class is equated to another but most are protected and afforded the same rights. For instance, how is religion equated to race? Both are protected classes under most discrimination laws. How can that be since practicing a religion is a choice? Whether that choice was made by one's parents and/or by oneself, it's not an inherent quality one has when one is born like race or gender, etc. That is to say, if one wasn't exposed to or taught a religion, one wouldn't have a religion. Yet, rights and protections are given to those who choose to practice a religion. To me, I find it ironic that much of the opposition to gay marriage is from those who use their religious beliefs as the reason to oppose it. It's further ironic to me that an additional layer of opposition to gay marriage is from the notion that being gay is a choice. So, if I understand this correctly, it goes something like this.....People choose to practice a religion and then use their interpretations that being gay is a choice as their reason to not afford gay people the same rights that they enjoy. I don't belive being gay is a choice but, even it if were, the argument doesn't hold water in light of the fact that practicing a religion is a choice and they have rights and protections under the law.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
I ordinarily stay out of debates like this but I just have a simple question...who is caused harm by letting same-sex couples have the same rights as opposite-sex couples? To whom does it put any adversity upon in any way, shape or form to make this legal? Without an answer to that question then...yes...if you are strongly opposed to gay marriage you really have no solid argument and whatever fervor you have in the argument against it can really only be explained as bigotry. It's as simple as that. The only reason you don't want to let somebody else marry who they chose is because YOU find it distasteful. If you use the argument "the bible states..." then I'd have to stop you right there and remind you that we have a separation of church and state in this country and what "the bible states" has no place in current American lawmaking. I'm not anti-christian at all and attend church fairly regularly myself. But I don't expect what is believed by my church or anyone else's body of worship to dictate what rights other people can or cannot have if they are not harming anybody. Done and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina