Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 09:32 AM

559 posts, read 1,467,042 times

Advertisements

I tend to think if you don't like a place...it could just be that place. Minot does not have much that I enjoy or like. I'm petite so I can only wear certain pants and the store that had the right size they don't have in North Dakota at all. They have weird licensure laws that I've never heard limiting the use of degrees. The do have low wages. Lisan123 if you know of any places where I can make 35-40k in Minot please let me know. Everything is expensive. Gas just went up to $3.20? I don't understand that. It's not close to any kind of urban city so I can't look for jobs in a larger nearby city. It's COLD for about 9 months out of the year. We have no family nearby, airplane tickets to go see any family or friends is outrageous because it's such a small town. I like the base, I like my house on base it's much nicer than anything we could afford in the actual town of Minot because they charge outrageous prices for houses here. I have friends and hobbies and I do stuff...I'm not a miserable old hag but my biggest complaints about Minot are finding a job and it's cold, small, boring, and far from everything. These aren't really things that are just my perceptions. I don't perceive it to be cold...it is. I don't perceive that jobs are mostly secretary jobs that pay low wages...many other people have pointed this out, as well. I don't perceive the town is small and far away from large urban areas...it is smaller and it is far away from large urban areas. I do perceive it's boring because to me, it is. Now, if there are jobs that pay well, in the 35-40k range, I would be a little happier because I wouldn't be doing a crap job or crap wages and I could actually afford a ticket to see family every once in awhile. But the way it is, there aren't any jobs that actually pay that unless they pertain to oil. Are there? And trust me, I would totally move if I could. I wouldn't have even moved here in the first place I would have accepted the job that paid very VERY well, at entry level, but I was forced to move somewhere I hated! I had a good attitude about Minot when we first got here. I didn't realize it would take months to even get an interview for a job and then that job only be somewhat related to my field. I didn't know the most I'd ever make was $10/hr for secretary work. That's probably my biggest complaint. And I see that ChrisC kinda understand my predicament. It's hard to understand if you can freely move around where you want, when you want...but being forced to live somewhere with no way out...kind of hard to understand unless you're military

Last edited by etjaipleure; 12-27-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 AM

25,838 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
I think it's all a state of mind. If you don't want to like a place you won't.

I lived in Utah for over 10 years, I love Utah. We moved to Wyoming and I was miserable, but it wasn't Wyoming. It was me. We came to North Dakota and I love it here. I've lived in a lot of places and more often than not if I'm miserable it's because I choose to be, it's not the area I live in.

There's always something to do as long as you're willing to try something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I agree 100%. It's completely the state of mind that you choose to be in most of the time that defines your experience anywhere. I also lived in Utah for quite a few years and will move back there one of these days because I really liked it there. I now live in Los Angeles and it's completely different than Utah but I love it here as well, regardless of all the bad things people say about LA. In February I'll be moving to Minot and I'm sure I'll love it there as well.
The positive attitude is great lisan23, too bad more people aren't like that.
I agree for the most part... but not on climate. Some peoples' biology is just "optimized" for a certain type of climate. Specifically, some bodies do not handle cold weather very well. Others don't tolerate hot weather very well. It's not psychology, it's biology. I'm just the opposite. In my case, I tolerate heat very poorly. I tolerate bright sunshine poorly as well. It's not that I'm out of shape, either. I run 7 miles a day (weather permitting, of course). But, when it's in the 90's or 100's, I generally stop exercising except in the very, very early mornings. I get sluggish and perspire constantly all day long whether I'm doing anything or just sitting around. Of course, I will admit also that I hate hot weather... BUT, my body hates overly hot summers too. On the other hand, if it's 30 or 20 or lower outside, I just throw a jacket or coat on and I'm good to go. And I love snow. I love cold, dreary, foggy days. I also love the "softness" of the winter blue sky. I love a sunny winter day when it's about 15 - 20 degrees and the far-south sun casts long, stark shadows of the leafless trees across the sparkling, crisp snow. So does my body.

So like I said, I will agree with you overall on most other things. But when it comes to climate, biology plays a part as well. I could live in Greenland or Barrow, AK or International Falls, MN and be perfectly happy both psychologically and biologically. Many (if not most) people could not, due to biology as much as psychology. My ex-wife would literally freeze to death in places like that, no matter how many layers of clothing she had on. She used to get hypothermic at like 40 degrees and start shivering. Me? My room thermometer reads 58.6 right now. That's my kinda room temp.

Last edited by ChrisC; 12-27-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 12-27-2010, 10:17 AM

There's always something to do as long as you're willing to try something new? I love trying new things. Please explain what new things I can try here in Minot during the 9 months that is winter. I would love to try them!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Snowmobile, cross-country ski, downhill ski, snowboard, skiboard, ice skate, snowshoe, winter jog, winter camping (I know you don't have mountains there, but still...), ice climbing (don't know if you have a place to do this in ND), ice fishing, winter photography, ... hey, build an igloo! It's fun!

I think most of these are doable in ND. Honestly, I do way more in the winter than I do the summer, at least when it actually gets to be winter around here (it's kind of cyclical in Utah--high of 48 last week, 33 today, 17 degree high for Friday )

Old 12-27-2010, 01:52 PM

Well...igloo and snowman building can't really be done well in ND since the snow is so dry and powdery. As for winter camping...um...BRRRRRRR but yes we had thought about that, might be fun. We like being outdoors. I'd like to do some ice fishing. The problem with all these other things like skiing and snowmobiling is you kind of have to have money to get these things or rent them or take the time off and be able to pay and go somewhere...which with the low wages in Minot...you get my drift. It's like a big circle of blahness. The summer wasn't really too bad because there seemed to be more outdoor stuff to do but I think my main complaint is jobs/wages suck here and the cold kind of forces you to stay cooped up for way too long! And I miss the beach. As for photography, my husband and I are both photographers but kind of hard to keep taking pictures of the same empty field all the time although, we do find the plains pretty, we miss mountains, too.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 AM

350 posts, read 570,706 times
Honestly, as a single mid-20's guy, I find the best way for me to keep sane during the winter is to stay busy - either working, going out, reading, exercising... Whatever. I'll usually take at least one day a week to go have a drink with friends or just socialize, and that seems to keep me in a positive place. Not always the most exciting life, but I make the best of it for sure

Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
The problem with all these other things like skiing and snowmobiling is you kind of have to have money to get these things or rent them or take the time off and be able to pay and go somewhere...which with the low wages in Minot...you get my drift.
Yes, I've never been a huge fan of snowmobiles (prefer silence and moving under my own power) and they are VERY expensive. Snowmobiling is huge around here in the mountains. I prefer skiing. That can get expensive as well, though. Cross country ski gear is fairly cheap and if they have rentals around the area, that would be quite cheap. It's great exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
As for photography, my husband and I are both photographers but kind of hard to keep taking pictures of the same empty field all the time although, we do find the plains pretty, we miss mountains, too.
All right, I have to admit this comment has me laughing--conjures up a mental image of two people with cameras in hand, scratching their heads, as they stand in the center of this expansive flat field of grass that disappears into the horizon in all direction... wondering what their second photo will be. Maybe some close-ups of the grasshoppers!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:06 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,011,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I agree for the most part... but not on climate. Some peoples' biology is just "optimized" for a certain type of climate. Specifically, some bodies do not handle cold weather very well. Others don't tolerate hot weather very well. It's not psychology, it's biology. I'm just the opposite. In my case, I tolerate heat very poorly. I tolerate bright sunshine poorly as well. It's not that I'm out of shape, either. I run 7 miles a day (weather permitting, of course). But, when it's in the 90's or 100's, I generally stop exercising except in the very, very early mornings. I get sluggish and perspire constantly all day long whether I'm doing anything or just sitting around. Of course, I will admit also that I hate hot weather... BUT, my body hates overly hot summers too. On the other hand, if it's 30 or 20 or lower outside, I just throw a jacket or coat on and I'm good to go. And I love snow. I love cold, dreary, foggy days. I also love the "softness" of the winter blue sky. I love a sunny winter day when it's about 15 - 20 degrees and the far-south sun casts long, stark shadows of the leafless trees across the sparkling, crisp snow. So does my body.

So like I said, I will agree with you overall on most other things. But when it comes to climate, biology plays a part as well. I could live in Greenland or Barrow, AK or International Falls, MN and be perfectly happy both psychologically and biologically. Many (if not most) people could not, due to biology as much as psychology. My ex-wife would literally freeze to death in places like that, no matter how many layers of clothing she had on. She used to get hypothermic at like 40 degrees and start shivering. Me? My room thermometer reads 58.6 right now. That's my kinda room temp.
Chris, you are I are exactly the same in terms of comfort and temperature. I have to take anti-depression medication in the summer to deal with effect of heat/humidity and long daylight hours on my body. Being out in 80+ degree air temperature and high humidity sends my anger level through the roof. I am so much happier in the winter with temperatures near zero and lots of snow on the ground. I have had long talks with my doctor and he is convinced for me it is a biological or hormone issue with me and not just a frame of mind.

That is one reason why I tried to desperately to move north and when I could for my job I jumped at the chance back in 1998. i havent looked back yet. Dec-Jan is my time of year....I get giddy with excitement as a weather forecaster awaiting the next winter storm. I have been on a snowmobile before and it is quite fun, but watch you dont get into too deep of snow. I wish I knew how to ice skate, as I tried and failed miserably. Grand Forks-East Grand Forks and surrounding areas has many outdoor rinks in the parks which are flooded each December.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Chris, you are I are exactly the same in terms of comfort and temperature. I have to take anti-depression medication in the summer to deal with effect of heat/humidity and long daylight hours on my body. Being out in 80+ degree air temperature and high humidity sends my anger level through the roof. I am so much happier in the winter with temperatures near zero and lots of snow on the ground. I have had long talks with my doctor and he is convinced for me it is a biological or hormone issue with me and not just a frame of mind.

That is one reason why I tried to desperately to move north and when I could for my job I jumped at the chance back in 1998. i havent looked back yet. Dec-Jan is my time of year....I get giddy with excitement as a weather forecaster awaiting the next winter storm. I have been on a snowmobile before and it is quite fun, but watch you dont get into too deep of snow. I wish I knew how to ice skate, as I tried and failed miserably. Grand Forks-East Grand Forks and surrounding areas has many outdoor rinks in the parks which are flooded each December.
I hear ya. I was giddy when I heard the prediction of 17 for the high temp on Friday. It's been revised to 15. We don't get high temps that cold around here very often. Looking forward to it. I hope that arctic blast doesn't fizzle out before Friday!

I'll have to get my ice skates out. I haven't done that in a while (too busy skiing). We don't have too many good places to ice skate around here because, although it certainly gets cold enough, it's somewhat cyclical and inconsistent in the valleys. Too bad all the towns weren't in the mountaintops around here! Is ice skating pretty big (popular) around the Grand Forks area?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:07 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,069,501 times
Minot: The town that the warmth of the sun forgot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota