Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM

443 posts, read 806,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
That is HORRIBLE!!! Am sure those texas workers will want to be transferring come summer, lol.....

My husband is a Jose and no no no trabajando por $10, no way Jose!!!!LOL
Jose esta muy intelligente.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:29 PM

249 posts, read 645,471 times
fredn922 - Good for the hubby... One question... what is his background... alot of construction ...???... or mechanic.... the recruiter only gave me 3 whole minutes and told me I didn't have enough "hands on experience"... guess he's never done roofing in the middle of Summer in Fl...LOL

As for the Mexican comment... just pointing out who got the job... my fiance is Cubana... so, it wasn't racist...LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 04:31 PM

By the way... They WERE hiring entry level...non-experienced people... maybe I got the wrong recruiter... or maybe not Purty enough...LOL

Old 11-09-2011, 04:49 PM

79 posts, read 194,085 times
So I went to gthe Job Fair in Lakeland this Morning drove 3.5 hours to get there and just as Golfer said and hour for the App another hour for the presentation about a 45 minute wait for the Interview with the Wicked Witch. Needless to say I was not good enough or maybe was it just not young enough!

I even brought my Resume and copys of all my Credentials to include CDL, Pasport, TWIC Card, Security Clearance frome the United States Armed Forces Command from when I worked in Afganistan as a Civilian and even a copy of my recent Long Form Physical. When I first started the App I saw the middle section about Criminal Record so went asked the Recruiting Guy about it because in 1981 when I was 17 years old I threw a guy in a Dumpster after a verbal altercation. Bench Warrant was issued I appeared for Court pled No Contest there was no Fine no Jail Time no nothing. The Recruiting guy said to put it down just in case they find it in the Background Investigation so I did.

All of that was for naught when the Wicked Witch got ahold of my Paperwork she was impressed with my Credentials and experience and then she spots the Misdemeanor Charge. From my folder I took out my copy of the "No File Found" Statement that I had picked up from our local Sheriffs Office just yesterday but at that point it was no use she just quickly thanked me for coming in and said the Legal Department would check into it and they would be in touch and she hoped that I enjoyed the rest of my day.

It was kind of funny that Golfer and I got **** Canned at the same time. So I had an additional few minutes to trade information with him. On the way home I get a Call from Monica with no last name with Baker Hughes in Ft Worth Tx concerning my App. She stated that it would be reveiwed by the Legal Department and if they felt that I would be a good fit they would let me know but that I could expect an answer either way in about 7 weeks.

Wow who would of thought that a Sealed Record from 30 years ago would still be a problem go figure. I even Bathed everyday this past week and twice on Sunday I guess I should have brushed my teeth as well maybe that would have worked.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:32 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer2122 View Post
As for the Mexican comment... just pointing out who got the job... my fiance is Cubana... so, it wasn't racist...LOL
Did not think it was racist at all, lol, just thought maybe you were and noticed that stuff(only hiring so many out of so many). I actually had asked that question couple months ago if there were many Mexicans in oilfield in ND(found out yes) cuz naturally any culture likes to know if any of thier culture is present there. Also I hate to say this but someone here in MN told me that oil work is a white mans work, he wasn't trying to be racist he was actually nice but it did kinda make me wonder. I am not use to these kinda remarks as being friom California. But then again the other day a local person here asked me if they have cars in Mexico, LOL, that was funny but not......
Regardless, I hope everyone gets jobs whether it is at the job fairs or in Williston, those job fairs, omg liars,.....

Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM

941 posts, read 1,915,764 times
FreeSample, that is crazy.....I can't believe they even called you to tell you 7 weeks but do you think it might be a sign they are interested stll? Also why do you have to show the proof from 30 years ago, if you didn't and they do a background check, will they find it? I am glad didn't send my hubby to the job fairs they had around here, the way you describe it is exactly the impression I got from them on the phone, and didn't want to waste gas money on that imopression, LOL....

Old 11-09-2011, 05:48 PM

...and I have a COMPLETELY clean record... never been arrested... no tickets... (ok, one in 1985 for speeding)... no accidents... EVER... Military Veteran.... multiple college degrees... maybe it's the age thing (49) but I know I can work circles around (and can STILL outrun them...LOL) my two stepsons (22 and 24), both of whom were Army (11-Bush)...

Oh well...as they say... Drive On!... I'll have my CDL Permit by Monday and go from there...

Old 11-09-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Job Fair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
FreeSample, that is crazy.....I can't believe they even called you to tell you 7 weeks but do you think it might be a sign they are interested stll? Also why do you have to show the proof from 30 years ago, if you didn't and they do a background check, will they find it? I am glad didn't send my hubby to the job fairs they had around here, the way you describe it is exactly the impression I got from them on the phone, and didn't want to waste gas money on that imopression, LOL....
Well that is just it, If I did not show the incident on paper and for some strange reason they dig deeper than the Department of Homeland Security and find it and I did not include it then that would be an automatic disqualification. So I included it like the Recruiting Manager suggested.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM

589 posts, read 300,404 times
Okay here is what happened on my end. I showed up and as Golfer and other described, there was a safety presentation and what the job would entail. From what I gathered, they were ONLY hiring Equipment Operators and Mechanics and everything else they told me to apply on line. The presentation didn't look like it was a semi with the equipment on it but when I got to the hiring manager, he said it WAS a semi that you will be driving. He also said that the Equiptment Operator position will drive the truck then operate the equiptment. I have my CDL A with hazmat and thought that I might not renew my hazmat but the hiring manager said hazmat was required. I also told him that I had my CDL license but only drove a VERY limited amount OTR and it was several years back since I last drove. He was aware that I have not worked for 3 yrs and had not driven a semi for 4 yrs. I now have to relearn how to drive a semi somehow, or do I? Wonder if they retrain, forgot to ask them when they offered me the postion at $22 in ND and $4.5 less in Odessa. I chose Odessa since I'm very wary of driving a semi in the snow let alone driving on regular roads since I've never EVER driven in snow before. So, opted for less to be safe for now. I might do ND when I have more experience.

This is what I gathered, and I may be totally wrong since I am new to this oil field also but they were not hiring for roustabout, roughneck or floorhands. In addition to mechanics, they were ONLY hiring drivers to drive their equipment and operate them onsite. Seems like if you have a CDL the chances of getting hire was a lot more favorable to you but with no CDL, I got the impression they were willing to train if they chose.

Golfer and to other who didn't get the position. If it was indeed the equipment operator position you were trying to obtain as apposed to rig side, I'm so sorry for your outcome. Wish it was different. However, if it was a roustabout or roughneck or other entry level job you were seeking, I don't think this was that position.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Okay here is what happened on my end. I showed up and as Golfer and other described, there was a safety presentation and what the job would entail. From what I gathered, they were ONLY hiring Equipment Operators and Mechanics and everything else they told me to apply on line. The presentation didn't look like it was a semi with the equipment on it but when I got to the hiring manager, he said it WAS a semi that you will be driving. He also said that the Equiptment Operator position will drive the truck then operate the equiptment. I have my CDL A with hazmat and thought that I might not renew my hazmat but the hiring manager said hazmat was required. I also told him that I had my CDL license but only drove a VERY limited amount OTR and it was several years back since I last drove. He was aware that I have not worked for 3 yrs and had not driven a semi for 4 yrs. I now have to relearn how to drive a semi somehow, or do I? Wonder if they retrain, forgot to ask them when they offered me the postion at $22 in ND and $4.5 less in Odessa. I chose Odessa since I'm very wary of driving a semi in the snow let alone driving on regular roads since I've never EVER driven in snow before. So, opted for less to be safe for now. I might do ND when I have more experience.

This is what I gathered, and I may be totally wrong since I am new to this oil field also but they were not hiring for roustabout, roughneck or floorhands. In addition to mechanics, they were ONLY hiring drivers to drive their equipment and operate them onsite. Seems like if you have a CDL the chances of getting hire was a lot more favorable to you but with no CDL, I got the impression they were willing to train if they chose.

Golfer and to other who didn't get the position. If it was indeed the equipment operator position you were trying to obtain as apposed to rig side, I'm so sorry for your outcome. Wish it was different. However, if it was a roustabout or roughneck or other entry level job you were seeking, I don't think this was that position.
Scot892 In our presentation the Recruiting Manager said that they "Baker Hughes" Would provide CDL Training. I also applied to Drive or as they say an Equipment Operator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota