Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2015, 01:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,898,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I feel safer walking/running/prancing around Pittsburgh at night than I did hanging around Wilkes-Barre after dark when I was in college, and statistically I'm probably more likely to be a crime victim in my current zip code than in a typical Wilkes-Barre zip code.
I grew up near Asbury Park, NJ, until you have seen more than Wilkes-Barre and Pittsburgh it's easy to think it's the worst ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 02:08 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
I grew up near Asbury Park, NJ, until you have seen more than Wilkes-Barre and Pittsburgh it's easy to think it's the worst ever.
I grew up about a half hour north of Asbury Park and am aware of how bad it had gotten.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I grew up about a half hour north of Asbury Park and am aware of how bad it had gotten.
Yes, it's still bad a few blocks beyond the beach. They are revitalizing the ocean front but it's just like Atlantic City, go four or five blocks west and you are in the ghetto.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:23 PM

98 posts, read 111,458 times
Quote:
Trenton NJ here...County LEO stationed at the Courthouse in Trenton for over 30 years..

Trenton High School has been fondly/infamously referred to as 'Congo Tech' or 'Fort Apache'

I know things are getting crazy in the Valley and I am not minimizing the plight/blight going on there..

But the status quo is still Rainbows and Unicorns in WB/Scranton compared to Trenton, Camden,and other places within a few hours drive of you guys.

Peace,
Luke

Old 05-08-2015, 02:44 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Trenton NJ here...County LEO stationed at the Courthouse in Trenton for over 30 years..

Trenton High School has been fondly/infamously referred to as 'Congo Tech' or 'Fort Apache'

I know things are getting crazy in the Valley and I am not minimizing the plight/blight going on there..

But the status quo is still Rainbows and Unicorns in WB/Scranton compared to Trenton, Camden,and other places within a few hours drive of you guys.

Peace,
Luke
I lived in Newark, Jersey City and Down the Shore and worked in Newark on 2nd shift so, you're right, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area haven't got that bad YET.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I lived in Newark, Jersey City and Down the Shore and worked in Newark on 2nd shift so, you're right, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area haven't got that bad YET.
Precisely what I have tried to tell people who have only lived here, sure the gun violence NEPA is experiencing right now needs to be brought under control but it is not at the level of some of the worst cities I've been in. There appears to be a group of drug related gangs that are involved in a turf war here, the mayor really should bring in the Feds on this one. The recent shooting with the crime watch member could have been retaliation for potentially disrupting one of the gang's business.

So yes, we need to get tough on cleaning up the growing drug epidemic in the city but as a whole, the city is still livable.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
With all the shootings in Wilkes-Barre and the problems in Scranton, I feel safer walking the streets of NYC at 2AM than I do Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
I confess I feel safer in Philly than I do in either Scranton or Wilkes Barre ... but not in the "bad" neighborhoods where there are drug corners.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I confess I feel safer in Philly than I do in either Scranton or Wilkes Barre ... but not in the "bad" neighborhoods where there are drug corners.
True, I felt safe when I lived in Philly and walked the "safe" neighborhoods. I also walked the "bad" neighborhoods and anybody that knows Philly can concur that walking Fairmount Ave east of Temple University is a risky venture at best. I used to purposely look crazy with my hood drawn tight and lumbering past the gangs and they always left me alone. I'm not sure I know a street in Wilkes-Barre that would make me want to act that way. Anyone lacking mettle best not live in city surroundings.

To add to your point though, sure it is nice to feel safe in the "safe" areas while acknowledging the fact that any given area has it's bad ones just like Wilkes-Barre.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:42 PM

335 posts, read 325,146 times
NJMIKE hit the nail on the head with one word. "YET". Nobody knows how much longer or to what extent the decline of the once spectacular city of Wilkes-Barre shale continue. I've seen zero positive press as far as a major corporation giving the place a shot in the arm so to speak in the way of economic development or jobs. And using history as a teacher, the place is far from bottoming out. To anyone thinking about relocation, welcome to a fools paradise.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 PM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
True, I felt safe when I lived in Philly and walked the "safe" neighborhoods. I also walked the "bad" neighborhoods and anybody that knows Philly can concur that walking Fairmount Ave east of Temple University is a risky venture at best. I used to purposely look crazy with my hood drawn tight and lumbering past the gangs and they always left me alone. I'm not sure I know a street in Wilkes-Barre that would make me want to act that way. Anyone lacking mettle best not live in city surroundings.

To add to your point though, sure it is nice to feel safe in the "safe" areas while acknowledging the fact that any given area has it's bad ones just like Wilkes-Barre.

Eighteen months ago, I stayed in Wilkes-Barre for a month. Nothing happened. The neighborhood was quiet. I went out day and evening, --sometimes late at night-- and nothing happened. Of course, I wasn't hanging around on street corners, buying drugs or visiting anyone in Sherman Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania