Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
Ain't the weather just wonderful!!??!! I've been working like crazy in the yard!!

I got the seating area by the grotto 2/3 done...all the concreting, wiring, etc. Now I just have to prep & plant the area & I'll be finished & post pix!!

I call the grotto "The Grotto Of Our Lady Of The Sea", & found a blue fluorescent light bulb at The Depot Of Homes (sorry Paul, I HATE the Lowe's here!! Everyone is unfriendly & miserable that works there...)...it looks so cool at night!!
Looks good JG!

We bought some of those colored CF lights for my bf's Mom's porch for Christmas, the green ones. They looked so neat on the outside of the house. Still up for St. Pat's then they'll go back to the bug lights for the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:30 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Looks good JG!

We bought some of those colored CF lights for my bf's Mom's porch for Christmas, the green ones. They looked so neat on the outside of the house. Still up for St. Pat's then they'll go back to the bug lights for the summer.
Thanks LIAC!! It gives a new dimension at night!!

I just finished planting the area. I have to reposition the irrigation to it today & I'll be finished. Here's some pix taken of the area & from sitting on the bench...the 1 pix makes the bench look lopsided, but I guess "I" was the one who was lopsided taking it!!

It's so nice sitting there!! It's secluded & quiet, & the palm's fronds overhead make it like a vaulted cathedral ceiling!! Like an "outdoor room"... The birds come & take a bath in the birdbath & then sit on the fronds singing & drying themselves!! (JG goes off now to sit & meditate with his cuppa coffee...)

Last edited by Jungle George; 06-12-2009 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote of the day:

'Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater.
If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby.
If you give her a house, she'll give you a home.
If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal.
If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart.

She multiplies and enlarges whatever is given to her.

So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of sh&t!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Thanks LIAC!! It gives a new dimension at night!!

I just finished planting the area. I have to reposition the irrigation to it today & I'll be finished. Here's some pix taken of the area & from sitting on the bench...the 1 pix makes the bench look lopsided, but I guess "I" was the one who was lopsided taking it!!

It's so nice sitting there!! It's secluded & quiet, & the palm's fronds overhead make it like a vaulted cathedral ceiling!! Like an "outdoor room"... The birds come & take a bath in the birdbath & then sit on the fronds singing & drying themselves!! (JG goes off now to sit & meditate with his cuppa coffee...)
What are the paths made from? Is that sand or crushed shells or something? It looks like it has a bit of texture to it, but I don't think it's rock. Inquiring minds wanna know... I'm looking for path ideas in the 'kitchen garden' I'm planning in my head. I wanted something more permanent than mulch, but porous and gentle on bare feet.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
What are the paths made from? Is that sand or crushed shells or something? It looks like it has a bit of texture to it, but I don't think it's rock. Inquiring minds wanna know... I'm looking for path ideas in the 'kitchen garden' I'm planning in my head. I wanted something more permanent than mulch, but porous and gentle on bare feet.
Dear Inquiring Mind,

Actually, the paths are concrete!! The one big "problem" with South Florida is that ANYTHING that hits the ground grows!! With a jungle like mine, weeding was a nightmare!! I could weed an area, turn around, turn around again & there'd be weeds back again!!

As I said, all the pathways in the jungle are concrete...the one thing stuff won't grow through. What I do is pour a bag (or how many for the area), rake it with the "flat" side of the rake to contour & slope for runoff, & then hose it slowly on "shower" setting on the hose nozzle to let the water "seep" down.

This settles the concrete powder & leaves the gravel part partially exposed (which I like 'cause it looks more natural than poured concrete) It's not comfortable on bare feet, but I always wear sandals outside anyway....

I went through 9 pallets of 60# bags just for the back section (60# doesn't go too far...), but it's saved me SO much time (with keeping the old mulch pathways clear!!) Also, if we get a hurricane & it knocks over anything (demolishing the pathway along with it), all I have to do is get a few more bags & patch it up nice & quick!!

My cousin wanted pea gravel paths when he did a "formal" type garden with block-edged beds & pathways, so I had him put a layer of concrete down first on the paths & then add the layer of pea gravel over it....again, saves a lotta work keeping 'em clear!! He's STILL thanking me for the idea!!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks JG. I'm not sure I want to go with concrete though. Will have to keep searching for alternatives.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks JG. I'm not sure I want to go with concrete though. Will have to keep searching for alternatives.
If your kitchen garden involves the beds being edged with boards or pavers, you could look into rubber mulch. It's made from recycled tires, comes in different colors, never deteriorates & is easy on the tootsies if you walk barefoot!!

The only thing is, it needs to be "contained"...therefore the need for the paths to be "bordered" by some type of edging....

Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
If your kitchen garden involves the beds being edged with boards or pavers, you could look into rubber mulch. It's made from recycled tires, comes in different colors, never deteriorates & is easy on the tootsies if you walk barefoot!!

The only thing is, it needs to be "contained"...therefore the need for the paths to be "bordered" by some type of edging....
That is on my list, but my only concerns with it is that it will get hot for my tootsies and I worry about anything leaching out of the tires. Organic Gardening suggested not using this as mulch due to concerns about that. I may just end up with landscape fabric and some sand for now, bordered by stones. I don't want to go too expensive because I don't plan to be in this house long and I don't want it to be a negative for someone who doesn't like gardening when I sell and would rather have a pool or something back there for the kids.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
That is on my list, but my only concerns with it is that it will get hot for my tootsies and I worry about anything leaching out of the tires. Organic Gardening suggested not using this as mulch due to concerns about that. I may just end up with landscape fabric and some sand for now, bordered by stones. I don't want to go too expensive because I don't plan to be in this house long and I don't want it to be a negative for someone who doesn't like gardening when I sell and would rather have a pool or something back there for the kids.
There is a product I've used up north from a gravel company that might fit your bill..... For the life of me, I can't remember the name of it!! (damm old age!!) I used it on our 1/4 mile-long driveway & it was a mix of small gravel, rock dust & stones. It packed down hard, but was porous enough for rain to filter through...

I do remember it had a weird name consisting of a word & a #....(like "section 8" or "item 6"...). If there's a gravel company near you, you can call & describe it & they should know what it is....for some reason, "schedule 40" seems to ring a bell....

It was cheap, but you would have to wheelbarrow it into place (or borrow one of my tractors...)

Old 03-09-2009, 02:47 PM

Default Winter Getaways...

If any of y'all are thinking of a cozy winter residence, we've got a few small cottages for sale near us.....

Top 11 Most Expensive Homes In PB County - Photos - WPBF West Palm Beach (http://www.wpbf.com/slideshow/mostpopular/15379950/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania