Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VATechMURP View Post
I very much agree with this. NOVA should try to hold on to its history and sense of place as it's going to be a losing battle anyway.

To be a bit morbid, over the next 30 years there is going to be a mass die-off of the Baby Boom generation to be replaced by a majority non-white, and immigrant and immigrant offspring population. Issues such as language and religious tolerance are going to be of far greater relevance than a conflict that many have no connection to.

My ancestors all came to this country after 1880. This is my country, this is my history, whenever they came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:59 PM

30 posts, read 49,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
Well, we'll see. Demographic trends are notoriously difficult to predict long-term.

Historically, immigrants have had a funny habit of behaving like... Americans after a generation or two.
This year, the Census Bureau said that for those three years old and younger, there is now a white minority. It's just a matter of the "slug" of whites to pass for the overall average to reflect this. The shift has been caused by immigration, particularly Hispanic along with their high fertility rate, according to the same study. For Northern Virginia, the shift has begun much sooner.

I certainly did not mean my earlier comments to be meant as a put-down. Most Northern migrants to Virginia have not acquired a pride for Southern heroes as the thread topic implies. I doubt that they would care to. Already Cinco de Mayo is a greater holiday than any of the Civil War events.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
This year, the Census Bureau said that for those three years old and younger, there is now a white minority. It's just a matter of the "slug" of whites to pass for the overall average to reflect this. The shift has been caused by immigration, particularly Hispanic along with their high fertility rate, according to the same study. For Northern Virginia, the shift has begun much sooner.

I certainly did not mean my earlier comments to be meant as a put-down. Most Northern migrants to Virginia have not acquired a pride for Southern heroes as the thread topic implies. I doubt that they would care to. Already Cinco de Mayo is a greater holiday than any of the Civil War events.

Cause there isn't a drink associated with the Civil War.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:13 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
And as I have said repeatedly, I have no problem with high schools named after confederate generals, particularly ones who were actually born in Virginia, and a fortiori ones like Lee who were born in Northern Virginia and whose lives were interwoven with this region.

Generals who were born in virginia - which name does not fit this category?

1. Robert E Lee. 2. Stonewall Jackson 3. JEB Stuart 4. Jeff Davis
Answer: JEFF DAVIS was not from Virginia (actually he was never a Civil War General, but had been a Brigadier General in the Mexican War, and was later U.S. Secretary of War).

UNION Generals George Thomas and Winfield Scott were both from Southern Virginia, but that State does not name things after them. Actually it was only a few years ago, that Virginia grudgingly erected a historic marker by Scott's original home in Dinwiddie, Virginia.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Answer: JEFF DAVIS was not from Virginia (actually he was never a Civil War General, but had been a Brigadier General in the Mexican War, and was later U.S. Secretary of War).
"You're not from around here are you?" to use a Southern phrase. You make my point about migration of peoples.

To be fair, Jefferson Davis was the President of the Confederate States of America based in Richmond. There is probably a historical reason for the naming of the road.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
UNION Generals George Thomas and Winfield Scott were both from Southern Virginia, but that State does not name things after them. Actually it was only a few years ago, that Virginia grudgingly erected a historic marker by Scott's original home in Dinwiddie, Virginia.
Be honest. Are you a big fan of the hero of the Mexican-American War who was in charge of the Cherokee Removal (Trail of Tears)? He actually did nothing against the South beyond offering Robert E. Lee the chance to run the war.

Winfield Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-06-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Be honest. Are you a big fan of the hero of the Mexican-American War who was in charge of the Cherokee Removal (Trail of Tears)? He actually did nothing against the South beyond offering Robert E. Lee the chance to run the war.

Winfield Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

as a fan of the importance of logistics and geography in military grand strategy, who believes it was the "anaconda" plan that actually won the war, I would suggest that Winfield Scott was VERY important, and that those of us who are pleased that the USA ended up united, owe him a considerable debt of gratitude.

Think about that the next time you drive through Scott Circle

Old 05-06-2011, 08:14 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,902 times
I have mixed views about the Civil War. While I am glad that the North won, for slavery was an evil and loathsome institution, I am not exactly fond of some of the methods employed by the North. And I do think Lincoln came the closest to being a dictator among this country's presidents.

I am also not too keen on some Southerners fixating on certain historical losers who fought for an ignoble cause, but at the same time I do recognize the courage, sacrifice and nobility of many of the Southern soldiers and officers, so I don't want the historical names to be changed wholesale by fiat by Northern self-annointed elites. As before, I say let the local stakeholders decide.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
as a fan of the importance of logistics and geography in military grand strategy, who believes it was the "anaconda" plan that actually won the war, I would suggest that Winfield Scott was VERY important, and that those of us who are pleased that the USA ended up united, owe him a considerable debt of gratitude.
Yeah, you read the Wiki that I linked to .

Old 05-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I have mixed views about the Civil War. While I am glad that the North won, for slavery was an evil and loathsome institution, I am not exactly fond of some of the methods employed by the North. And I do think Lincoln came the closest to being a dictator among this country's presidents.

I am also not too keen on some Southerners fixating on certain historical losers who fought for an ignoble cause, but at the same time I do recognize the courage, sacrifice and nobility of many of the Southern soldiers and officers, so I don't want the historical names to be changed wholesale by fiat by Northern self-annointed elites. As before, I say let the local stakeholders decide.
I don't think most Northerners are this way, but can you imagine a bunch of Southerners moving to Brooklyn, telling the locals that their heroes were a bunch of deadbeats, and then setting out to remove their names?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia