Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 04:26 PM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
A true NoVAn.
Hey, we've only lived in the house 3 months, and my first child was born ON the day we moved in, so we've been a little busy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Look what I found:

Dominion Electric Outage Map - https://www.dom.com/storm-center/dom...outage-map.jsp
I looked at that, but it doesn't really get specific enough to tell you about your address; just provides numbers of people in each area still without service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:39 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Default It Was a Sad Day at Tyson's Corner Mall Today...

So my daughter and I head up from Woodbridge to Tyson's today. Got there right as they opened and noticed that the mall was quite busy already, which is unusual for a summer Sunday morning. After about an hour into it, I noticed people sitting all over the mall, on the floors, at any power outlet they could find. By the time I left at 1PM, the mall was swamped. There were more families shopping there than I've ever seen. Lots and lots and lots of men out shopping with wives and kids--WAY more than I ever see. Every bench was taken and all the small little public cluster areas (down by the escalators near Coastal Flats) had people all over the carpeted areas plugged into big extension cords. All charging their laptops, iPads, and phones.

I could hardly walk through the mall, it was like Christmas. And the garage I normally park in that's only ever half full, was almost filled to capacity.

There was a guy in a pickup truck outside the mall selling new generators out of the back of his truck.

I didn't lose power for one second and I've been kind of oblivious to others' plight. I was sort of shocked today.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:11 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
There was a guy in a pickup truck outside the mall selling new generators out of the back of his truck..
You didn't see me selling the $5 bags of ice?

Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 PM

373 posts, read 821,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't lose power for one second and I've been kind of oblivious to others' plight. I was sort of shocked today.
Same here. Lost cell and internet service for a bit yesterday, but the lights stayed on. I didn't realize how extensive the outages were until I went to my coffee shop (closed), Whole Foods (closed), and my gym (closed).

So many of the beautiful trees in my neighborhood came down, lost tree-sized branches, or have been marked as too damaged and will be cut down.

I hope the terrorists plan their next attack against DC in one of the three nice days we have each spring and fall. This region would collapse in the summer and winter if an event cut off power and food supplies for an extended period.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
I hope the terrorists plan their next attack against DC in one of the three nice days we have each spring and fall. This region would collapse in the summer and winter if an event cut off power and food supplies for an extended period.
We have a lot more than three nice days a year. The weather during 9/11 was spectacular. It really wasn't that bad the last couple of days. The biggest concern was food going bad which can happen at any time of year.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:16 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
We were in town for the excitement! We were heading back from our annual trip to Cape May and decided to spend the night in NoVA. We were in a Marriott in Herndon. We never lost power there but did lose phone service. By 9 AM on Saturday, they were already booked for the night (we tried to get a friend a room).

We went by our house in Vienna and fortunately no trees were down and the power was still on. Our neighbor across the street said the lights just flickered a couple of times but never went out. We live in the SW quadrant near Meadow Lane Park. Our friends on the north side of Vienna lost power from 10:30 PM on Friday until noon on Saturday. They just got phone service back today (Sunday). So Jillabean, what Saganista said is true - you might have power but no phone service.

We're back in NC now. Traffic was horrible down I-95 on Saturday. Don't know if it was for the July 4th holiday, the weather, or a combo of the two.

I miss Vienna. Stay safe, everyone.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
YAYYYYYYYYYY, power is back on at my house in Burke! Flicked back on at 10:30 pm tonight (Sunday), almost 48 hours on the nose. As Mr. Cali said today, it really doesn't sound like that long when you realize it was only 2 days, but YUCK.

I'm pretty sure the reason our power came back on is because we had emptied out the fridge/freezer in their entirety just before that, lol.

Bets on a spike in babies in 9 months?

Old 07-01-2012, 10:57 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post

Bets on a spike in babies in 9 months?
Not that many, is my bet -- too hot to touch someone else in this heat!

Out for 49 hot sticky sweaty hours here. House is almost cooled enough now to get some good sleep. Lost all the fridge & freezer contents and survived a couple of nasty caffeine-withdrawal headaches. The good thing is that it never affected my water, so I got some cool showers and could still flush the commode.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,690 times
Posting from a hotel as we bailed early on. Our power came back on Sunday night at 10:30 pm (47 hours without power). Already tossed the fridge and freezer food and am looking forward to doing laundry after we check out today.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 AM

979 posts, read 1,776,306 times
I believe my power is back on! Even my home phone is now working

And Dominion's outage map has MUCH less red on it this morning than it did last night, so their crews were working hard on a Sunday night to get people restored
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia