Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:26 PM

72 posts, read 185,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Hokie 2007 View Post
Good. Less traffic for me. I'll just take our top-ranked schools, our amazing job market, and our intelligent and cosmopolitan people.
I have lived here all my life (Fairfax County)...and I can understand why people may not like this area...

Please do not get me started about schools in VA... How about Massachusetts... or California very good schools in those states... as far as people nothing intelligent or cosmopolitan... just people who think they live in a highly evolved society.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:29 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05c6400 View Post
I have lived here all my life (Fairfax County)...and I can understand why people may not like this area...
I can understand why some people may not like this area, too--it makes sense to me because no place can appeal to everyone. Even in Heaven there will be a few who don't like it. "You know, I just can't stand living in a place with Pearly Gates..."

What I never get is why people who don't like this area never seem to actually leave. They talk and talk and talk about how they're leaving any day now.... and years go by, they're still saying the same thing. One reason I admire Alanboy is he's actually putting his decision to move into action.

The other thing I don't get is--why tell us about it? Seems like a waste of energy to me, if you've already decided to move. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I only have so much time for internet forums. Once I decide to move, I spend all my energy on forums for the city I'm moving to.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:35 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I truly would love for someone to tell me when Fairfax County is supposed to feel like "home." I've lived here nearly a year so far, and still all I see in this area are large surface parking lots, luxury sedans and SUVs, tract housing, large surface parking lots, people who are polite to your face but who will stab you in the back in a heartbeat (trust me, I've learned this the hard way), traffic congestion on Sundays, large surface parking lots, people shouting in Spanish and fumbling with their car alarms when you're trying to sleep, chain restaurants, big-box stores, large surface parking lots, people who wear sunglasses on cloudy days either to look sophisticated or to avert eye contact, people who won't return "good morning" greetings if you pass them on a run, large surface parking lots, Tyson's Corner, Ashburn, Reston, etc. I'm just still searching high and low for the charm here and a reason for me to feel warmth and acceptance. Instead I just feel like this place is a suitcase town or a revolving door; it isn't a place most people want to put down their roots and become a part of a true community.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:03 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The other thing I don't get is--why tell us about it? Seems like a waste of energy to me, if you've already decided to move. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I only have so much time for internet forums. Once I decide to move, I spend all my energy on forums for the city I'm moving to.
It's an internet thing it seems. I'm a member of a few message forums, and periodically there will be a "I'm leaving and never coming back" thread.

Someone said before that you can't make everyone happy all the time. It's so true...

Old 09-06-2010, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summertime24 View Post
I have lived here for almost 2 years now and I absolutely hate dc. The weather here sucks. It is so hot and humid in the summer and seems to rain nonstop. Winters are terrible. It snows and is freezing. Fall and spring can be nice but the 70 degree days are few and far between. And regardless of the temperature, the sun does not shine here!!! And don't even get me started on the traffic here..

Also, I find that people are just rude and dull in DC. All they care about is work. It's all about working from 6:00am to 7:00pm, what you do, who you know, ect. Way to many workaholics. And people aren't very open to making new friends. There's no hospitality in this city, for sure. Sure, if you went to UVA or VA tech, you've got tons of friends here. But all of those people don't want to branch out and make new friends. And then you have the transients. People who move here for a job (because let's face it, why else do people move to dc) work for a couple years, and then leave in search of greener pastures. So they aren't trying to make new friends either.

So, after giving DC a fair shot for 2 years, I've decided that I'm blowing this joint and moving to Sunny San Diego!!! I'm getting a job transfer and am going to be loving life very soon. This will be my last cold and nasty winter ever!!!!!!
Dude, I think you're me in the future. I completely agree with you, this place blows and it's because of the *******s and workaholics. I'm ****ing it all and going to San Diego too when I have the chance. See you there buddy

Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopedturtle View Post
. I'm ****ing it all and going to San Diego too when I have the chance.

Great idea, and why wait? There's no time like the present. "A chance" isn't going to just fall in your lap, do something about it so you can move on to a place you DO like. We'll happily wave bye bye, because too many people are moving here as it is. You've moving on means one more apartment available to rent, one less car on the road, one less person taking a job that someone else would love to have.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:51 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
could be worse you know, you could be living in somalia or some other Godforsaken place

Old 09-06-2010, 07:50 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopedturtle View Post
Dude, I think you're me in the future. I completely agree with you, this place blows and it's because of the *******s and workaholics. I'm ****ing it all and going to San Diego too when I have the chance. See you there buddy
Well, before you get your heart set on San Diego you might want to get in touch with the OP. Not that I want to discourage you from moving, but there might be better cities to move to right now. The most recent post from the OP shows that he apparently now lives in San Diego but is having problems with the job market. Sounds like he's ready to blow that joint, too.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:59 AM

2,501 posts, read 3,406,007 times
This thread is how I first discovered city data and the NOVA cheerleading forum. Remember folks: There are absolutely no problems in Northern Virginia, except how many people continue to flock here and enjoy the abundant services and jobs. Google "I hate DC" and this thread comes up right away.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:07 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
Wow! I discovered this old thread this morning and I had to respond.

I moved back to DC in early Aug 2010 and I am thrilled to be back here. I had lived in the DC area for 18 years before trying Charlotte NC. I moved to Charlotte NC for 4 years, thinking it was going to be my "forever home". Cheap real estate, "friendly people", less traffic, a nicer pace of life. For me, it just didn't work.

Charlotte IS a nice town. But its just that..a big town. Limited dining, entertainment etc. If you like BBQ and pork, its your kinda place. If you want roti, crabs or anything the least bit ethnic, you are more or less out of luck. The people seem friendly until you tell them that, no, you do not want to come to their church. Traffic is indeed better there..no question...but there is a reason for that. It s a far less busy place. Please don't get me wrong...Charlotte has a lot to offer. For me, it wasn't what I was seeking.

Having been back in DC for just over a month, I am re-discovering the wonderful opportunities here. Yes, the traffic sucks. I'd be lying if I said anything else. But my job allows me flexibility with a schedule and it is such fun to explore. The wealth of cultural opportunity, the proximity to mountains and beaches, the restaurants, the historical places...for me, its fantastic. Many people I knew when I lived in suburban VA never ventured out of their neighborhoods to take advantage of what the area offers.

Clearly, many folks don't like it here and I do hope that they can "escape" DC. However, for those of us who love it here, it is home. If you MUST bash it, please realize that some of us actually WANT to live here!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia