Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candicem View Post
I lived in Dana Point, CA.
You have the misfortune of moving here from one of the nicest spots in the world. Most folks here aren't able to make that kind of a comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:10 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,577,410 times
Quote:
I moved here with my husband and 2 kids 2 years ago from Orange County, CA. It was not what I expected at all. I expected to see pretty green rolling hills, farms and country roads. I was SO wrong! It's all shopping centers, litter all over median in the streets, and it just seems too city for me. I lived in Dana Point, CA.
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I went to Dana Point when I was in San Diego over the winter and it is absolutely beautiful there. Moving here has to be a huge bummer for you

Old 05-08-2013, 07:56 AM

172 posts, read 329,639 times
Quote:
I moved here with my husband and 2 kids 2 years ago from Orange County, CA. It was not what I expected at all. I expected to see pretty green rolling hills, farms and country roads. I was SO wrong! It's all shopping centers, litter all over median in the streets, and it just seems too city for me. I lived in Dana Point, CA. People are very rude, and do not have time for new friends.... Over all, at first I totally hated living here. Now that I've been here for 2 years, I am starting to get used to it, but I've gone from hating it, to just not liking it. ...
I am sorry that you feel this way about NoVa. It is not fun to live in a place you hate or do not like.

But it is all about where you lived before. I wrote about it before - I moved here from a large city (similar to New York city), capital of one of the largest European countries. For me NoVA is "country" and I did not like it at all when I came here years ago. Now I LOVE it here. For me NoVA has so much pretty greenery with blooming trees, flowers, parks, country roads (driving Hunter Mill, Lawyers and such roads is like going through a village), very clean roads, no litter. You can see farms and rolling hills when you drive past Leesburg. Personally, I would want to live in DC to be closer to activities, museums, but my dear American husband is not a "city boy", and also you have to have really a lot of money to be able to live in good part of DC. I also think that people here are friendly and not rude

Again, it is all about what you used to have. Hope that someday you can either move to a better for you and your family place or somehow find good in NoVA as I did. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusUs View Post
IBut it is all about where you lived before.
It can also be about where you live now. Some areas of NoVA are more amenable than others. I like living here more because of what's within walking distance of my property versus the offerings of the area as a whole.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
hey, look at the bright side, you could be living in mogadishu or beirut or some other god forsaken place

Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM

271 posts, read 446,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
What does this mean? There is little crime in Arlington. I lived in South Arlington for 4 years and never felt unsafe.
It means unlike the state of California, here in VA we honor our 2nd amendment to keep and bear arms.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 PM

939 posts, read 1,893,168 times
In this thread: someone who thought they were moving to the boonies, full of crime and cheap housing, getting a serious education. In San Diego, you can go 3 miles east of downtown and find cheap housing. In DC, you'll need to go forty miles to find that mcmansion for 500k.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:05 PM

231 posts, read 575,693 times
yes Dana Point is beautiful! I miss the beach and the laid back life style. But I am slowly learning to like it here. My kids are happy. I have a great job and my husband has an even better job and his family is here. It's just a lot different here and it's not easy to get used to it. One of the hardest parts I think is making friends. I have some people that I can call if I need something, or a once in a while play date with the kids, but not really anyone that I have really connected with and could call a real friend. We are renting now in Chantilly (Fairfax side) which isn't the best neighborhood and the crime has gone up with lots of car break ins and some home break ins as well. We are saving right now to buy a home in either Leesburg (I do like the old town area there) just to be a bit farther from the craziness of Fairfax, or out towards Gainesville for the cheaper prices. We are hoping to do that in about a year. I do like Reston as well and I work in Reston, but almost $400K just for a 3 bedroom condo is not worth it when I can possibly get a nicer townhome for less a little farther out.

Sorry, I kind of went off subject But yes, I do miss Dana Point and it is amazingly beautiful there!

Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,893,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
In San Diego, you can go 3 miles east of downtown and find cheap housing.
No you can't. Unless you live at Father Joe's. Or Barrio Logan. (ah... every college kid who spent 2 years at MB thinks they're a native)

Old 05-08-2013, 06:18 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoFring View Post
In this thread: someone who thought they were moving to the boonies, full of crime and cheap housing, getting a serious education. In San Diego, you can go 3 miles east of downtown and find cheap housing. In DC, you'll need to go forty miles to find that mcmansion for 500k.
While San Diego is pretty safe for a city its size, you won't really get other parts of the criteria that will be important if you're raising a kid like in NoVA. The school system according to former co-workers are broke and not so great. But if you're a single guy or a married couple with no plans of having kids, then it may be the place for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
No you can't. Unless you live at Father Joe's. Or Barrio Logan. (ah... every college kid who spent 2 years at MB thinks they're a native)
Spent my time in N. Park. Pretty fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia