Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

They are all over the board - the local news is saying maybe 6 immediate Metro area, more a little further S and less a little further N - we shall see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 12:26 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
What a day! Aren't you in the process of selling, too?
Yep. Have been in the house since 86 and this happens as soon as we list.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:19 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
I've heard 5-8 in the DC area. I'm south around Woodbridge so that might be closer to 10" but I'm going say it will be more like 8 inches.

Wonder what the feds will do? Close or OPEN with option to telework?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:39 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Wonder what the feds will do? Close or OPEN with option to telework?
Capital Weather Gang's FedCast prediction

3 domes: 90 percent chance of unscheduled leave and telework option, 75 percent chance of at least delayed start; a little less than 50 percent chance of closing for day

Old 02-16-2015, 01:53 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,245,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JfromReston View Post
Capital Weather Gang's FedCast prediction

3 domes: 90 percent chance of unscheduled leave and telework option, 75 percent chance of at least delayed start; a little less than 50 percent chance of closing for day
Sometimes I hate being essential. But the poor dogs need to be cared for so I don't mind working.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:15 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
Urgent - Winter Weather Message
National Weather Service Baltimore Md/Washington DC
338 PM EST Mon Feb 16 2015

Frederick VA-Clarke-Nelson-Albemarle-Greene-Madison-Rappahannock-
Orange-Culpeper-Prince William/Manassas/Manassas Park-Fairfax-
Stafford-Spotsylvania-King George-Northern Fauquier-
Southern Fauquier-Western Loudoun-Eastern Loudoun-Jefferson-
Including The Cities Of...Winchester...Charlottesville...
Washington...Culpeper...Manassas...Manassas Park...Fairfax...
Fredericksburg...Warrenton...Purcellville...Leesbu rg...Ashburn...
Charles Town

...Winter Storm Warning Now In Effect Until Noon EST Tuesday...

• Precipitation Type...Snow.

• Accumulations...6 To 10 Inches...With Locally Higher Amounts
Expected Across Portions Of The Northern Virginia Piedmont And
Foothills.

• Timing...Snow Will Increase In Intensity Through The Evening
Hours. Heaviest Snow Is Expected Late Tonight Into Early
Tuesday Morning.

• Temperatures...Mid To Upper Teens.

• Winds...East 5 To 10 Mph.

Old 02-16-2015, 02:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,785,329 times
I'm thinking OPM does at least a 2 hour delay with option to telework or take leave. I also think I'd give it a greater than 50 percent chance of a full closure - maybe 60 or 65 percent chance. While the snow is supposed to end on the early side tomorrow, I think it's just not going to be enough time to get enough roads clear. Either way, I won't be going in to the office.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
And schools are already closed for tomorrow. Pwc already called it.

Looking at traffic map, crazy wrecks all over western and southern areas of nova. Even Virginia beach and Richmond are mostly red with traffic wrecks.

Old 02-16-2015, 03:42 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Was actually in the Eastern Panhandle of WV last year at this time and we got a substantial winter then. Up here in Central Maine right now and we have had record snow in places here as well as cold weather. Just saw the news and they said that since January 20th we have had just two days where temps have gotten above freezing, for an hour each day as a matter of fact. The winds are howling outside blowing out of the N and NW form that blizzard like storm that just passed us and dumped on "downeast" Maine. Remember my days of shoveling snow in WV and have been shoveling a lot here as well. Y'all down there have a substantial storm coming through that is going to "skirt" us up here. Good luck to all of you. Spring isn't that far off thankfully......

Old 02-16-2015, 04:22 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
LISTEN! I am writing this with 100" of snow outside my house, unheard of even in Massachusetts.

Please slow down on the roads. Don't go 50 mph even if you think you can. We drive in it but we drive slowly, very slowly. Except for the idiots who think they are smarter than anyone else--then you see them, spun out a mile or so down the road. Even if the roads have been treated, the treatment will not work in low temperatures. And if there's black ice, you can't even see it.

Try not to use the brakes. I am not kidding--brakes make you go into an uncontrollable skid. Just drive slowly enough to not need brakes and remain at an even speed. You can slow down by taking your foot off the accelerator or if you are lucky enough to come to an uphill.

If you must turn or go around a curve, do not use brakes and be careful because turning can make you go into an uncontrollable skid.

Not that you don't already know all of this, but if you don't get snow very often, it's easy to forget. Last but not least, stay home and relax, make chile, bake a cake, throw something in the crockpot--and don't go out unless you have to. Enjoy your snow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia