Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 06:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caromc View Post
Oh my gosh, I can't believe how much daycare costs in VA. Currently we pay little over 500/mo full-time. I guess those days are soon over.

Would you know anything about the subdivision of Ridges of Ashburn?

I feel bad about asking all these questions, but really do appreciate your time. Have a great day.
Yeah, daycare is CRAZY expensive. We figured if I made $40K or so my take home after daycare and taxes and such would be $2K a year...and we didn't figure in gas and such!

Ridges of Ashburn...it's nice. We looked at a home there that we REALLY wanted but couldn't buy at the time b/c our home had not sold...by the time ours did sell this one was gone. Some of the backyards are a little small, but you will find that everywhere...lots of small yards but here and there you get a decent size one. (Mine is .20 acres and I think that is good for the area.) Are you looking at a particular home there? I only know of the singles there...do they have townhomes?
We had looked at some nice townhomes when we first started our search. (our home not selling right away was a blessing as when the market went down we were then able to get in a single) Some areas were Farmwell Hunt...some off of Old Ryan Road (which I don't know the sub division name)...actually, there are a lot of great homes in Ashburn, so I don't think you will have a problem. Lansdowne Town Center also has some very nice new townhomes, but I think they are on the pricey side...but not sure anymore as the market isn't great. (but, I kind of feel like the market is doing okay in Ashburn, at least in terms of the $450K-$600K single families...seems like they are going under contract a lot lately.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 33,150 times
We saw a 4 bdrm townhouse that looked nice enough in Ridges of Ashburn. Since we have a rather small budget (350 & under) we are resigned to a townhouse. If it wasn't for the military we wouldn't be moving to NoVA, we are really looking forward to it though...just don't ask the kids. And to tell you the truth I can't wait for the kids to ride a bus to school. Currently I take them to school and drive back (17 mi one way) to go to work, but they are in the best schools in the county. Middle school: no drugs and little to no fights and high school: Little drugs and very little violence. My son is in a honors program in his HS, however I am more concerned with safety than scores.
I'm hoping to get on with a defense contractor somewhere between Ashburn and Herdon...we'll see if I can find a job that will balance out with the cost of daycare.
Okay now I'm babbling.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,316,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caromc View Post
We saw a 4 bdrm townhouse that looked nice enough in Ridges of Ashburn. Since we have a rather small budget (350 & under) we are resigned to a townhouse. If it wasn't for the military we wouldn't be moving to NoVA, we are really looking forward to it though...just don't ask the kids. And to tell you the truth I can't wait for the kids to ride a bus to school. Currently I take them to school and drive back (17 mi one way) to go to work, but they are in the best schools in the county. Middle school: no drugs and little to no fights and high school: Little drugs and very little violence. My son is in a honors program in his HS, however I am more concerned with safety than scores.
I'm hoping to get on with a defense contractor somewhere between Ashburn and Herdon...we'll see if I can find a job that will balance out with the cost of daycare.
Okay now I'm babbling.
I really think you will be happy here. The schools are not only good, they seem safe. (as safe as any school can really be) I am sure you will find a nice townhome. Sometimes we wish we would have bought a townhome...twins take up a lot of time so our yard is suffering for it. AND, if we had bought a townhome we probably could have gotten nicer all be it smaller. (sometimes the nicer is better!) Check out Toll Brothers Website. Although I do not like their single families I have found there towhomes to be very nice...They have some here in Ashburn and they look great. (they also have some new condos which are in the $200's...Might be worth looking into. They are just down the road from me.)

just looked up TOll Brothers. The Mews of Loudoun County (here in Ashburn) and the Belmont County Club Ridges have NEW places for you in your budget. I would DEF check them out. A lot of builders are offering nice incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia