Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM

313 posts, read 552,304 times

Advertisements

Euro...

Not a DC commuter, but having gone to both metros during rush hour, imo...the West Falls Church is a much easier metro to get to from Route 7 or the Toll Road. Vienna metro has me taking a bunch of backroads from Reston (which I'm guessing you would also take from Ashburn, though I may be wrong) and I'm guessing Nutley St is no picnic in the morning...Plus Lawyers Rd is an accident waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:00 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
Euro...

Not a DC commuter, but having gone to both metros during rush hour, imo...the West Falls Church is a much easier metro to get to from Route 7 or the Toll Road. Vienna metro has me taking a bunch of backroads from Reston (which I'm guessing you would also take from Ashburn, though I may be wrong) and I'm guessing Nutley St is no picnic in the morning...Plus Lawyers Rd is an accident waiting to happen.
Thanks Badger!! This was very helpful. I figured WFC would be easier. Plus it takes a couple of minutes off from having to sit in the metro (yay!).

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM

7 posts, read 14,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
I'm going to have to start commuting to the area near the New York Avenue metro station from Ashburn. Not sure of the best way to get there...
Did you find a suitable commute to NY ave from Ashburn?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 3,851 times
Hi Have u made the move to Ashburn? If so are you happy? How is the commute?
I am also thinking of moving to Ashburn and would appreciate your comments

Old 01-30-2011, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,851 times
Hi - I also plan to move to Ashburn Farm. So all in all (i.e. including the commute TO the bus, how long does it take door to door -- Ashburn Farm to DC (18 & G street) or around there.

Pieter

Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,741,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieterz123 View Post
Hi - I also plan to move to Ashburn Farm. So all in all (i.e. including the commute TO the bus, how long does it take door to door -- Ashburn Farm to DC (18 & G street) or around there.

Pieter
I only ended up doing the commute from Ashburn Farm to DC (next to Capitol building) for a few months last summer but it took me 3+ hours to commute every day. I left the house at 5:15 am and drove to WFC and took the metro in. I was in the office around 6:50 am. I left at 2 pm and picked up my son in Lansdowne around 3:50 pm. I tried both WFC and the Herndon-Monroe bus (Metrobus 5A). Both took about the same time. Needless to say, I'm enjoying working from home right now and hopefully in the future will find a job closer by.. (Unless we move out of the area )

Old 02-13-2011, 07:04 PM

30 posts, read 103,474 times
Just as a point of reference, I did the commute from the Lowes Island/Cascades area to DC for about 9 months last year. The easiest option for me was bus 980 or 950 from Herndon-Monroe to West Falls Church and then to Farragut West. This route was a reasonably reliable 1:10 each way--20 minutes from home, 25 minutes on the bus to West Falls Church, and 25 minutes on the orange line train to Farragut West. The nice thing about this route is that the buses and the trains run regularly during rush hour, so there's never much time waiting on the platform. There are buses that run out to Herndon-Monroe late at night as well, so you're not in much danger of being stranded if you have to work late. The parking is free at Herndon-Monroe and it would have easy access into and out of the parking lot from the tollrod going out towards Ashburn. But it fills up well before 8:00 am in the morning, which I found frustrating because it means there's no flexibility to have a late start.

I thought the larger buses that go all the way from the outer burbs to West Falls Church are more comfortable than the 980 or 950 buses, but the problem is that you have to time them more carefully. In order to make sure you catch a bus that runs only every 30 minutes or 1 hour, you end up sitting there and waiting much longer than you would if you took the 980 to Herndon-Monroe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia