Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM

179 posts, read 459,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
I keep meaning to post this to make you all laugh... I can top the poster who said their hubby cleaned the tub with the toilet brush. Mine had the audacity to bring an electric leaf blower into the house to blow furballs out from behind the furniture which in turn led to dust all over EVERYTHING. He thought he was a genius.
That's hilarious!!! Beware of powertools ladies!!!! Samara is right though about the endearment. I mean hey, we get miles and miles out of these stories don't we?? Gotta love 'em...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:19 PM

482 posts, read 1,372,212 times
You all have gone on and on about this man can't clean, woman knows all thing. I have had posts censored that were far less stereotypical. Many American men will say that their dog is their best companion. That's because they've lived or witnessed the horrors of the high maintenance American lady. Their dog doesn't eat too much, their dog doesn't whine, their dog will never leave them, their dog will not extort money from them.

I used to think the same thing. Until I started going out with a Thai lady. She insists on cleaning the house. Every day, she sweeps the entire house, and usually does a dance with the mop or broom, completely enjoying herself. I take out the garbage and clean the toilets (I think she is a little scared of the western toilets). The way she does laundry is incredible, and her motorbike gets 80 mpg. We both get manicures or pedicures or massage whenever we want, because they only cost 3 Dollars. She may win herself a trip to los estados unidos, but I would hate to see her turn into a high-carb, money incinerator, like her American counterparts.

My house cost 23,500 USD in 2006, property taxes ZERO, and I didn't wish that I lived in Ashburn for 1 split second.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:46 AM

269 posts, read 1,002,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwlv View Post
You all have gone on and on about this man can't clean, woman knows all thing. I have had posts censored that were far less stereotypical.
It's funny, the double-standards in life. My husband would probably be OFFENDED if he spent time reading some of these comments that are oh-so-critical of men's ability, and NO most men are NOT content to live in filth and ignore the cobwebs around their home! My boss (who has a SAHM-wife and 2 small children), even hired a maid service to have bi-weekly cleaning, since his wife wasn't keeping the home clean.

If you claim to be HAPPY scrubbing toilets and picking up after other people, and being the family slave, good for you! I have my dignity, and my pride, and so in my household all able-bodied people (including my son when he's old enough) WILL do chores and contribute to the maintaining of the family home!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:06 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Skapov, you mean the child you've already said is so whiny that you couldn't bear to stay home with? I have my doubts if he's already that bad before he's a year old.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 PM

269 posts, read 1,002,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Skapov, you mean the child you've already said is so whiny that you couldn't bear to stay home with? I have my doubts if he's already that bad before he's a year old.
Well, he was going through teething last week, cutting his top 2 teeth and keeping me up all night.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:44 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Skapov,
It's not slavery to serve those we love, whether it be doing household tasks without playing martyr, working long hours in a job we dislike because it pays the bills, or forgoing the pride and satisfaction of a paying career in order to be the primary caregiver of our children.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Even before I quit my job to become a SAHM, I was the one doing most of our indoor household tasks -toilet cleaning included. My husband took care of most of the yardwork. I did most of the cooking. He did the odd jobs around the house like hanging curtains or installing shelves in a closet.

After we had children, I became their primary caregiver and my husband has earned the paycheck. I still do the majority of the housework. He still does most of the yardwork.

For us, having more "traditional" roles works best in our family. I have never felt "demeaned" by my role. Nor do I feel like "the family slave." Far from it.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 AM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
It's funny, the double-standards in life. My husband would probably be OFFENDED if he spent time reading some of these comments that are oh-so-critical of men's ability, and NO most men are NOT content to live in filth and ignore the cobwebs around their home! My boss (who has a SAHM-wife and 2 small children), even hired a maid service to have bi-weekly cleaning, since his wife wasn't keeping the home clean.

If you claim to be HAPPY scrubbing toilets and picking up after other people, and being the family slave, good for you! I have my dignity, and my pride, and so in my household all able-bodied people (including my son when he's old enough) WILL do chores and contribute to the maintaining of the family home!
There was no mention in any post regarding living in filth! And being the slave...way, way way off base. Since when does doing for others take away your dignity or pride. And I agree with the pp poster about your whiny kid. I have yet to see a post from you since you moved here where you are actually happy. You bought here to get away from something in MD. But you can't find a proper hairdresser, there was a dog attack and you wondered about the banning of certain breeds, you can't find the right grocery store, they just aren't up to your standards. Did you research Burke before you moved there. Did you assess all the things you thought you might need to make you happy. You take funny stories that we share about our husbands..and make them about demeaning women. If we don't fit into your mold we are wrong.

I get that you are a strong willed AA woman, who is proud of what she has accomplished, but you don't celebrate that. All we are seeing here is someone who is frustrated with everything!

I realize you are going to open it wide open on me..but before you do, remember your audience. We are not all white middle class housewives. Some of us are AA, Asian, gay,straight, professionals, SAHMs. We post to this forum to learn about our city, to share what we have found, and too laugh a little at life.

It would really be nice if you posted something wonderful about your new home. Have you found a great place to eat...to shop?

Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Bravo, SL!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:16 PM

24 posts, read 65,046 times
Sheeple are sheeple. As this depression really hits, sheeple will suffer the most. I commend all of you to read the posts about gardening. If you haven't put in a garden, start now. It's not even time to get your plants in, so you have time to prepare your soil and get things going. Learn how to grow a few things, at least. Get to know your neighbors. Help each other to create a local mini-economy if you can, each contributing your specific skills to a base of knowledge. You're going to need it.

And if you think the worst is behind us, please go on the internet and read about bear rallies. Then read about hyper inflation and inevitable tax increases (especially at the state and local levels) occasioned by massive spending increases. We're going there, and $150,000 will seem like a pittance.

Buy in bulk. Buy on sales. And yes, when you can buy generic, do so. If someone looks down her nose at you for wearing something other than designer, ask yourself, "Do clothes define me? How important to me is someone who judges me by the clothes I wear?"

It's back to basics time, folks. The sooner you get there, the easier this depression will be on you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia