Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 05:38 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Actually the quintessential yuppie NOVA family has a luxury sports sedan (BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc) for dad and a giant SUV with youth sports (Soccer for the younger kids, Lacrosse for the olders), prestige school (TJ, St. Stephens, etc.), and fave vacation spot (Duck, OBX) stickers on the back for mom. You know this is true.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-29-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually the quintessential yuppie NOVA family has a luxury sports sedan (BMW, Benz, Lexus, etc) for dad and a giant SUV with youth sports (Soccer for the younger kids, Lacrosse for the olders), prestige school (TJ, St. Stephens, etc.), and fave vacation spot (Duck, OBX) stickers on the back for mom. You know this is true.
Don't forget the line drawing silhouettes of family members on the back window. On the SUV, of course, not the sedan.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Don't forget the line drawing silhouettes of family members on the back window. On the SUV, of course, not the sedan.
Yes!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
No.

If you think this is a car-oriented culture, you have not been to the West Coast.
Um, don't you think that's a pretty broad generalization? NoVA is a much smaller area than the entire "West Coast." And I sincerely hope you don't mean the small towns on the Oregon coast. Or a place like Anacortes, WA. The last time I was in that general area, I saw a lot of pickups. (I've lived in a small town, though, so I know that there most definitely can be pickup snobbery.) And the natives absolutely hated the 'damn Californians' (even though there are plenty of very rural Californians - I'm not sure if these are the people they meant, though).

Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I love the Outer Banks. And I can't blame 'moms' in the area for wanting to escape this literal pile of crap to spend time there. What is 'Duck?' [NM - just looked it up. I didn't go that far north when I was in 'OBX.' ]

(BTW, my parents drove Audis, and then BMWs, when I was growing up. Now they have a Cayenne and a Carerra. But they also have taste, dammit, and they'd be raising hell if they had to live in a place that looks the way most of Fairfax County does. Why is it that the 'yuppies' around here don't care that the public/commercial areas of their communities look like?)

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 06-29-2010 at 07:46 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
What is 'Duck?'
Just ask one of your neighbors. I'm sure they'll say they love it:

Town of Duck, NC

Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,923,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
No.

If you think this is a car-oriented culture, you have not been to the West Coast.

This is a much more prestige job-, kids' education- ("my son attends TJ!" "Yeah? My kid goes to National Cathedral") and real estate-oriented culture.

I totally agree. Add foreign exotic travel, and you've nailed the area.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,708 times
Quote:
Why is it that the 'yuppies' around here don't care that the public/commercial areas of their communities look like?
Have you talked to your supervisor and volunteered to join the committees and boards that work to improve them?

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Why is it that the 'yuppies' around here don't care that the public/commercial areas of their communities look like?)
I have noticed that folks here tend toward the "business/industrial park" landscaping genre. I chalk it up to lack of imagination and the fact that what they see at work is about all they know about it. Either that or that's what their "landscaping service" tells them to do.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Have you talked to your supervisor and volunteered to join the committees and boards that work to improve them?
Fortunately, there's no more Fairfax County for me!! (Except when we go out to Fair Oaks for our weekly Costco run. Oh, and out the window of the train, when I'm going to DC. )

I seriously would like to volunteer with the Fairfax City government. I'll probably start by volunteering a few hours a week at the Museum and Visitor Center, since it's a couple blocks from where I'm currently living. But I do want to segue into more actual decision-making-organizational stuff in time. This is all very new to me. The fact is, I never really felt a need to get involved in local politics at all before moving to NoVA.

Quote:
I have noticed that folks here tend toward the "business/industrial park" landscaping genre. I chalk it up to lack of imagination and the fact that what they see at work is about all they know about it. Either that or that's what their "landscaping service" tells them to do.
My SO and I were just talking about this a few hours ago, actually. I said I couldn't really blame those NoVAns who've never really lived anywhere else for what I've sometimes assumed is aesthetic apathy, since they would have nothing to measure NoVA against.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia