Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 05:19 AM

6,746 posts, read 6,733,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagirl767 View Post
I was only looking online for generic mainstream things such as Cold Stone Creamery.
nothing like moving 2500 miles only to discover you're now 2500 miles from the nearest Cold Stone Creamery

You'll see generic mainstream in Ashburn about as frequently as you see the sun in Arizona.

Quote:
Now I'm worried about a $500-600k neighborhood. Are we likely to run into riff raff for neighbors?
Yes, you should be concerned that at that price range, you will be living near people who will be sending their kids to Virginia state colleges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:38 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Yes, you should be concerned that at that price range, you will be living near people who will be sending their kids to Virginia state colleges.
You mean cr*pholes like William & Mary, UVA, VT, or Mary Washington?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:20 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times
I hope "TheseGoTo11" was being sarcastic.

My wife and I are both Ivy League graduates with advanced degrees. We'd feel very comfortable with William & Mary and UVA for our children (would prefer one of the military academies for our son and our alma mater for our girl, but they'd have to choose when the time came). Our kids socialize with kids from homes that cost several million dollars to $350,000 town homes.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,312,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
I hope "TheseGoTo11" was being sarcastic.
It seems that he or she was poking fun at the assertion that $500-600K neighborhoods are full of "riff raff".

Old 05-25-2010, 10:13 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
There's nothing to fear in a $500-$600k Ashburn area home at all. There are some who have houses that cost a bit more, and others who have houses that cost a bit less, in the same general area. You would not be in the only house in that range in the neighborhood, surrounded by houses that are much more expensive. I did see that, once, however, not in Ashburn, where a house was several hundred thousand less than its neighbors, but that was because the lot backed on a busy road at the entrance to the community, and was basically carved out as an extra house by the developer, as opposed to leaving it as open space.

There are people who live in that price range, despite being able to afford much more, either because they use their money for other things, or the residence is not their only house. There are also people for whom a large house is a maintenance drain, and they would rather have a more easily managed house.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-25-2010, 10:45 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
I believe TheseGoTo11 was playing along with CaGirl767's tongue-in-cheek comments. That said, for many newcomers it is indeed a shock of how "little" $500-600K will get you around here. But generally speaking, it will provide you with decent-to-outstanding middle-class amenities, generally depending on how close or far you live IMO.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM

46 posts, read 142,934 times
I'm really not alleging a thing about the area or particular price ranges. I don't know a thing about the area so I'm just asking. Again, we don't want to move into a similar situation in DC that we have here. We live in an HOA and encounter these riff raff problems daily: loud weeknight parties, loud "music", motorcycles at all hours, broken glass in the street, kids up to no good, etc. HOA says it isn't their jurisdiction, call the police. Police won't come. Some issues aren't crimes, just annoyances and they have other things to do than respond to a loud noise problem. They know us by name at the station. Same thing with drug houses. They won't come unless WE have proof that they are using or selling drugs or can catch them in the act. In these instances, I have to personally track down the owner of the house and go that route.

We need to move, DH has an opportunity in DC, and I'm tired of these headaches. I'm just looking for information, that's all.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,510,190 times
Wow. Sounds like a living hell. Not to worry. I've lived in modest working-class neighborhoods all over Northern Virginia and I've never encountered that type of crazy activity. I currently live in North Springfield----very diverse and very peaceful, with nice neighbors from every corner of the globe. I always look at the police reports in the thursday Washington Post and I'm surprised when I find an incident in the area, and I've never encountered violent crime. You'll find plenty of neighborhoods in your price range that are safe.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,151,164 times
Quote:
I'm really not alleging a thing about the area or particular price ranges. I don't know a thing about the area so I'm just asking. Again, we don't want to move into a similar situation in DC that we have here. We live in an HOA and encounter these riff raff problems daily: loud weeknight parties, loud "music", motorcycles at all hours, broken glass in the street, kids up to no good, etc. HOA says it isn't their jurisdiction, call the police. Police won't come. Some issues aren't crimes, just annoyances and they have other things to do than respond to a loud noise problem. They know us by name at the station. Same thing with drug houses. They won't come unless WE have proof that they are using or selling drugs or can catch them in the act. In these instances, I have to personally track down the owner of the house and go that route.

We need to move, DH has an opportunity in DC, and I'm tired of these headaches. I'm just looking for information, that's all.
These kinds of problems you describe are exceptionally rare outside a few trouble areas here. They are unheard of in places like Ashburn. Our sheriff is also exceedingly responsive to quality of life issues. Our HOA was assigned a deputy tasked to act as a liaison between the HOA and the sheriff's office.

My backyard backs to a heavily wooded area (complete with a creek) and a few kids came through the wooded area (HOA land, not my yard) with ATVs/dirt bikes. Deputies showed up promptly upon receiving a phone call and dealt with the situation.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:36 PM

6,746 posts, read 6,733,588 times
Quote:
kids up to no good
in Ashburn this happens too, but it's typically defined as being 5 minutes late to soccer practice

seriously, you won't have any of the problems in a 500-600k neighborhood in Ashburn you're experiencing in Arizona, rather than seeing guys on motorcycles fighting, you're more likely to see middle managers from defense contractors competing over career accomplishments - and if you like generic chain restaurants, you'll have found your little slice of paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia