Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:37 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,287,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
Seriously? If you truly do not know, as an adult, that pajamas are not appropriate for a trip to the grocery store or that a swimsuit is not appropriate attire at your child's school event, something is very wrong.

*sigh. These are the same women who complain that they "can't find a man" in the D.C. area. Gee...I wonder why?

Why are pj's inappropriate for a trip to the grocery store? I am assuming we are not talking about a see-through negligee, just because if offends others sense of style doesn't make it inappropriate.

I guess my point is that why does it matter what other people wear? If one's standards are that they go out in full makeup and dressed up, then that is great, but if one doesn't want to do that why is it wrong? Why would they then be considered schlumpy?

I just have to ask, have you seriously seen a parent at their childs school in a swimsuit or was that just an example?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Basically what America's devolved into is adults going out looking like children.
How so?

Old 05-26-2010, 02:58 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,786,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Because WE have to see them. Have some pride and try to look your best at ALL TIMES. The world is not your private lounge.
And the world is not a fashion runway. I'm not going to put on my best suit to go downstairs in my hotel and do laundry. Today I just put on my t-shirt and shorts and did it. Sue me.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:42 PM

2,519 posts, read 3,416,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
I don't think anyone would ever dispute that the quality of one's character is more important than the clothing she wears. (I think you meant to say he or she rather than "their" since you used the term "person's"...singular.)

However, a person can certainly be of good moral character and still dress appropriately for the situation, wouldn't you agree?

Somehow, I knew someone here would quibble over the "they" not being "he or she."

Perhaps it's a regional thing. Some areas exert more pressure to conform.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:54 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,892,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
And the world is not a fashion runway. I'm not going to put on my best suit to go downstairs in my hotel and do laundry. Today I just put on my t-shirt and shorts and did it. Sue me.
Alanboy,

No one suggested that you put on a suit to do laundry. Shorts and a t-shirt are certainly appropriate. However, pajamas would not have been. It's not rocket science.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:42 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,684,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
the lax weight standards. How many government workers have to have a decent appearance? Look at some of BO's appointees. Janet Reno was ugly enough to stop a freight train, and Janet Napolitano is worse.
For what it's worth I'm a Federal employee, and even on "casual Fridays" I still wear dress pants, dress shoes, and a button-down shirt (albeit no tie). Not all of us are told we don't have to have a "decent" appearance. Say what you will, but if I was heterosexual Elena Kagan would be pinned underneath me right now in an aggressive lip-lock with me! She's my type!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
Where do you think you are? South beach? The French Riviera?
According to some on this forum Reston > South Beach. Reston > French Riviera. Reston > Milan. Reston > Scranton.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Actually whether or not you like her politics, you've got to admit Nancy Pelosi dresses very sharply. I have it on good authority that her husband buys her clothes. She looks fantastic for a 70 year old.
She's SEVENTY? Good God! I thought she was hot too! Can someone break me of this cougar fetish I have? I might as well finish up getting my six-pack and then go running out in Ashburn to make the Desperate Housewives salivate a bit.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Well as this thread has worn on I have come to the realization that I will be seen as schlumpy once we move to NOVA, fortunately for me I really could care less what others think of me, life is much to short to worry about what others think, way to much living to do. I would think however, that outside this forum most people in NOVA really don't walk around wondering about snobbishness, schlumpiness or keeping up the Jones anymore than they do in any other area in the country.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Why are you concerned how other people dress?

This is exactly why I hate this area so much.
Cue the counter-attack from the "Sunshine and Puppies" Brigade in 3, 2, 1...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia