Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:48 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Went to lunch yesterday in Shirlington (a pretty nice area) and noticed that younger women here dress very unstylishly in public compared to other metropolitan areas around the world. Saw way too many baggy cargo shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and clunky sandals or flip-flops. Okay for cleaning the house but hardly for going out. Just wondering the reason for the lax fashion standards around here. Can't be because of lack of funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 AM

380 posts, read 1,062,781 times
the lax weight standards. How many government workers have to have a decent appearance? Look at some of BO's appointees. Janet Reno was ugly enough to stop a freight train, and Janet Napolitano is worse.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:26 AM

342 posts, read 912,709 times
Lol lol at that last comment!!!

I think you just caught those ladies at a bad time see if it changes once the weather breaks all the way!!! Usually people in this area are pretty particular about physical appearance and clothing standards!! But it also depends where your from if your comparing nova to ny or ca. Then yeah of course these women look schlumpy to you!!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
Lol lol at that last comment!!!

I think you just caught those ladies at a bad time see if it changes once the weather breaks all the way!!! Usually people in this area are pretty particular about physical appearance and clothing standards!! But it also depends where your from if your comparing nova to ny or ca. Then yeah of course these women look schlumpy to you!!
Let's just say I wasn't sure whether I was at Lilith Fair or the Daytona 500 infield. I travel around Europe quite a bit and even in the small towns the local women have much better public fashion sense. Makes it easy though to spot the Americanas.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:46 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
So weird as just yesterday my husband and I were shopping at Tyson's Corner and I made the comment to him "is it just me or are all the styles frumpy looking this year? You know...bohemiam" and he agreed. I think this is the start of a trend for the summer. Ann Taylor Loft in particular had a ton of these styles...Even when I went to Nordstroms today I noticed in their Point of View section many items that had this trend to it.
This area is big on trends so if I am correct then get used to it for this season. Good news is next year it will be something totally different, lol!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
So weird as just yesterday my husband and I were shopping at Tyson's Corner and I made the comment to him "is it just me or are all the styles frumpy looking this year? You know...bohemiam" and he agreed. I think this is the start of a trend for the summer. Ann Taylor Loft in particular had a ton of these styles...Even when I went to Nordstroms today I noticed in their Point of View section many items that had this trend to it.
This area is big on trends so if I am correct then get used to it for this season. Good news is next year it will be something totally different, lol!
My wife blames Eileen Fisher. Limp clothes out of the bottom of the laundry hamper.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:10 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,490,393 times
Where do you think you are? South beach? The French Riviera?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
the lax weight standards. How many government workers have to have a decent appearance? Look at some of BO's appointees. Janet Reno was ugly enough to stop a freight train, and Janet Napolitano is worse.
Ha! I'll give you that Condi Rice definitely had a lot of style. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other ladies that particularly stood out in the previous administration.

Besides, if looks were the #1 requirement for elected or appointed office, we might have a lot of empty seats.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
It's because we've all (?) given up on life, being stuck in this area. Might as well wear flip flops and pajama pants. No need to get fancy.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:29 PM

Actually whether or not you like her politics, you've got to admit Nancy Pelosi dresses very sharply. I have it on good authority that her husband buys her clothes. She looks fantastic for a 70 year old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia