Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,275,556 times

Advertisements

As someone who is very close to becoming a part of the NOVA scene it is with much relief to hear that I won't be the only schulmpy one around. I am not a gen Xer so I can't say it is because I dress up all week and just want to be comfortable when I am not working. Mine is simply that I am to old to give a care what anyone thinks of me and I dress to be comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
Like others have said, I dress up very nicely for work for 5 days a week- also for Sunday mornings - and when I get home I put on comfortable pants and a t shirt right away. I will go out in that too, if I'm just shopping around for clothes, groceries, etc. No need for me to get all gussied up to go shopping or out to lunch.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM

187 posts, read 491,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Went to lunch yesterday in Shirlington (a pretty nice area) and noticed that younger women here dress very unstylishly in public compared to other metropolitan areas around the world. Saw way too many baggy cargo shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and clunky sandals or flip-flops. Okay for cleaning the house but hardly for going out. Just wondering the reason for the lax fashion standards around here. Can't be because of lack of funds.
It's not a NOVA thing. In general, women in the USA don't dress well.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,878,778 times
Do NoVA Women Dress Schlumpy? Yes. CAVA1990, you are absolutely correct, and I agree that the area women's general (with isolated exceptions, of course) schlumpiness is weird given the area's high affluance. (And note that I'm not exactly complaining about the schlump[iness?], and I certainly don't consider its opposite some kind of vulgarly blingy/label-flaunting style, as do many of the posters here, apparently.. I'm actually kind of glad that I don't encounter many women who make me think, "Wow, she looks really, really cool/good/whatever; I feel kind of frumpy in comparison." It does make me cringe every time I hear about "East Coast elites," though, since "elites" are generally thought of dressing well, AFAIK.)

Old 05-26-2010, 06:54 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Why are you concerned how other people dress?

This is exactly why I hate this area so much.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:30 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,889,220 times
Quote:
It's not a NOVA thing. In general, women in the USA don't dress well.
This is sad, but true. I just don't get it. I see women in the grocery store who literally look like they just fell out of bed. Some actually wearing pajamas! Hair a mess. No make-up. Sloppy looking clothing. I wouldn't go outside to check the mail looking like that, much less go shopping.

I'm not sure if it's a problem more with the younger generations or just our country in general. I'm 44, so maybe I'm out of touch. But I still dress to go to the grocery store. Hair done. Make-up on. It has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone. It's a matter of personal pride in my appearance.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:35 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,237,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
This is sad, but true. I just don't get it. I see women in the grocery store who literally look like they just fell out of bed. Some actually wearing pajamas! Hair a mess. No make-up. Sloppy looking clothing. I wouldn't go outside to check the mail looking like that, much less go shopping.

I'm not sure if it's a problem more with the younger generations or just our country in general. I'm 44, so maybe I'm out of touch. But I still dress to go to the grocery store. Hair done. Make-up on. It has nothing to do with trying to impress anyone. It's a matter of personal pride in my appearance.
Are you trying to impress the food you buy at the grocery store? You're there to buy groceries, not impress anyone, unless you are incredibly insecure and find a constant need to impress people.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 AM

2,497 posts, read 3,403,014 times
As long as a person is clean and respectably covered, who cares what clothes she wears? Women seem to be judged more harshly here than men are (and usually by other women).

I don't want to attract attention when I do errands, so I deliberately dress in simple stuff.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:37 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Why are you concerned how other people dress?

This is exactly why I hate this area so much.
Because WE have to see them. Have some pride and try to look your best at ALL TIMES. The world is not your private lounge.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:41 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Are you trying to impress the food you buy at the grocery store? You're there to buy groceries, not impress anyone, unless you are incredibly insecure and find a constant need to impress people.
I see mississippimagnolia's point. No, I don't think anyone feels a need to impress someone when we're just out buying a pack of sausages or picking out pears. But there is a difference between someone wearing a decent pair of sweats or yoga pants and a clean shirt versus someone with sleep discharge in the eye, wearing their pajamas, or who has obviously has not washed their face.

Sure, some people find it OK to look bad in public but to me, IMO, it shows a lack of self-respect, laziness, or indicative of a personal problem (i.e., depression, alcoholism or crack addict) when an individual cannot even make themselves presentable in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia