Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I think the obvious reason is the state line. But who cares? I hope it stays a hidden gem. Don't want people realizing you can get a house in Hammond for $70,000 and be in the loop within 45 minutes.
You can get a house in North Lawndale for $50,000 and be in the Loop within 10 minutes. Doesn't mean I'd wanna live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM

169 posts, read 456,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscrazed2 View Post
I think the obvious reason is the state line. But who cares? I hope it stays a hidden gem. Don't want people realizing you can get a house in Hammond for $70,000 and be in the loop within 45 minutes.
From Hammond to The Loop? More like 20 minutes. 45 minutes from The Loop gets you to Merrillville or Portage. Maybe even Crown Point or Chesterton if you drive fast.

I have to say as somebody not from this part of the country, I found the NWI/Chicagoland divide to be odd when I moved here, and I still do. It seems to me that people in Indiana contribute to it just as much as people in Illinois, though. I often hear people in NWI refer to "the Chicago suburbs" as a separate entity, as if Indiana towns in the Chicago metro area are not suburbs.

It's a bizarre thing, and I assume has some history related to interstate politics. Besides that, I think many people just aren't very good at geography.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 5,079 times
Chicagoans think Indiana is a subburb of Chicago.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
only Northwest Indiana is a suburb of Chicago
Indianapolis by no means is anything related to a Suburb of Chicago.
Heck Indy is going after CME group and trying to get them to relocate to Indy.
Which i think is a great idea.
Now granted Illinois pulled the corporate welfare card. Indiana can do the same and unlike Illinois Indiana isnt swimming in debt so they can offer more.
Its just a matter of time before the Indianapolis Exchange Center and CME group come to Indy.
CME was never leaving Chicago. NYSE threaten to leave NY all the time, they're not going anywhere just want more and more breaks that NY and IL state just give into mind you which may or may not be a bad thing. If Indiana gave Lilly a huge tax break, no one here would complain because Lilly does A LOT for this state and have ongoing endeavors in all 92 counties on a continual basis. That's worth it as they are awesome corporate citizens. Whether or not CME does that for Illinois would beg to differ but to give a tax break to a entity that says they need it even though you have a 1.2 billion dollar Net profit is kind of crazy. Sears will be dead in 5 years anyway so why even bother with them.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:13 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,493,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Well good news for Indiana is due to Patty Quinns Income Tax Stunt more people are crossing the border from ILLinois to Indiana.
Heck talked to one of the real estate agents here and now its not just the south suburbs that are shedding people to NWI/Indianapolis now the West/North Suburbs too that are farther away are losing people.
Oh well Corruption has a price.
As far as to NWI, it's still primarily flight from the south suburbs. North Indy, Carmel, Zionsville, and Fishers gets most of the west and northwest suburbanites usually due to job transfers.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:02 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
From Hammond to The Loop? More like 20 minutes. 45 minutes from The Loop gets you to Merrillville or Portage. Maybe even Crown Point or Chesterton if you drive fast.

I have to say as somebody not from this part of the country, I found the NWI/Chicagoland divide to be odd when I moved here, and I still do. It seems to me that people in Indiana contribute to it just as much as people in Illinois, though. I often hear people in NWI refer to "the Chicago suburbs" as a separate entity, as if Indiana towns in the Chicago metro area are not suburbs.

It's a bizarre thing, and I assume has some history related to interstate politics. Besides that, I think many people just aren't very good at geography.
Its odd indeed. People have told me that I lived in Indiana not Chicago area before. My answer? Well, ts closer than some of the western suburbs like Aurora isn't it? It just stupid IMO and the still the thought of not being cool enough

Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Could we keep this thread about NW Indiana??

Old 04-07-2012, 08:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Not when there's an ax to grind.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:49 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Does brg live there?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
were talking about Lake county which last time i checked is NW Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana