Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM

10 posts, read 68,617 times

Advertisements

i've been hearing that they kind of run rampant in some parts of the island since the climate is so ideal for them to thrive.

my boyfriend recently went apartment scouting in honolulu and ended up getting a place on ena road... its about 4 blocks from waikiki beach. he's been telling me that he didnt notice them at first but now he's noticing them in the cabinets and in the sink. after asking a few people at his job, they have been telling him its kind of a problem that everyone seems to just "deal with." kind of like a small price to pay for living in paradise.

do you think this is just because we are living in the city? perhaps higher in the mountains or on the outskirts the problem will be less evident? just curious what others who live on the island have to say about this subject...

by the way, i'm talking about the normal small guys not the huge scary flying kind.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
I worked at a public housing complex. Before I even got in to the apartment, it smelled bad....

I didn't count them but, what I seen was about 300.... and thats a safe estimate 300 little critters on the floor and walls. Needless to say I told management it was a health hazard and I can't repair the unit.

I have found that dish washing soap, Dawn and water in a spray bottle will kill roaches & flys and safe to spray around the kitxhen areas.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Noticing them occasionally after you've been there awhile isn't a "problem" that's kinda normal. A problem is when they - well, this could get too gross, so we will skip this part.

Have you put out cockaroach traps? Baits? Either put out traps, poison bait or get a cat. You could try having a really really clean and almost sterile kitchen, but they will still show up, even then.

If there is an infestation, then one of those foggers will get a lot of them at once. Otherwise, a anti-cockaroach regime should be established. Don't leave any food out, wash dishes right after eating and tightly seal all food packages. Get a trash can with a tight fitting lid on it. Eventually, you can get it to where there will be almost no cockaroaches, at least, inside the house. Outside is another matter.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Doesn't Hawaii have exterminators who come every month?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
Oh yea, during tourist season.. critters keep commin back....

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM

27 posts, read 124,150 times
For those little roaches, boric acid powder works. You spread it behind the stove etc, in places where kids and pets can't get to it.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Had a place in Hawaii Kai for a while, very well maintained, and spotlessly clean. No roaches,, unless, you got up in the middle of the night, walked into the kitchen, turned on the light, and,,,,, HUNDREDS OF THE LITTLE BUGGAHS!!!! Very rarely saw them in the daytime, perhaps they were the much dreaded, VAMPIRE ROACHES!!!! Well, maybe not... I'll take a huge flying wombat cockroach over 100 of those mini roaches any day of the week, at least you can kill the flying variety, just need a really big rubbah slippah, or, maybe a twelve gauge shotgun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,seeing as Cheyney is looking for a job??????? Forget that part,,,,,,, Did mention about the centipede on the ceiling of my condo in Nuuanu, about 15 stories up, now that's determination!!!!! Unless, of course, centipedes grow wings?????? Fact of the matter is that cockroaches, ants, centipedes, whatevahs, if they want in, they'll find a way. The cockroach hotels??????? I think that's where they hide, take over management, rent out rooms to their roach pals, and complain about the humans all day long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,just a thought,, wait until you get one of those GIANT Hawaiian moths in your place, they are HUGE!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

BTW, noticed that the OP is from Quens NYC, isn't that like the cockaroach capitol of the world???? Don't bring any of those guys with you, cockroaches with attitude????

Old 03-02-2009, 09:47 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Just keep everything as clean as possible, and spray regularly. The Boric Acid suggestion is very good, just be really careful no pet can touch it (or child). Don't forget to pull the fridge out occasionally and mop under it, behind it, spray or bait. Once a month, at least. Ditto for the range if it can be moved a few inches out from the wall. Take out the drawer under the oven if applicable, clean under there as best you can, bait and spray. Dump out the toaster every few days.

Oh to answer your question.......in a word, yes!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:45 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Default Birth control for cockroaches

Ah - you have met the state insect. Kill every one of 'em? Nah - they are just waiting for all the humans to die off so they can claim this planet again.

We call them B52's. They saunter into your living room in broad daylight and look at you like, "Eh, Brah. How come you no leave food out fo me li'dat las' night? I got a family to feed!"

If you see one that means there are a thousand in the walls. Sorry. It just IS what it is. Doesn't mean your house is dirty. It means they live there too!

If you want to get rid of cockroaches, get some birth control gel. Go to City Mill or Ace Hardware and buy Combat® roach bait gel. It comes in a syringe. You apply the gel in every crack and crevice in your home. Put a little bead in all corners of kitchen cabinets inside ( you don't have to empty the cabinets). Apply it in dots about the size of a BB and no larger than a pea to keep it away from animals.

Put it wherever you see cockroaches. As long as you can see it, it's working. You will need to reapply about once or twice a year. It's apparently very tasty. They eat it and take it home to the family. Everyone in their little cockroach home eats it and it stops them from multiplying. Saves you the hassle of cleaning out icky traps. Is safer than boric acid (which can really hurt your pets if they get too much in their fur and lick it off.)

If you have a heavy infestation open up all your electrical switch plate covers and apply in the wall through the switch plate covers and up on the ceiling behind the light plates.

Now ..... a couple of other critters you'll see:
Cane spiders the size of your hands -- not terribly dangerous, but scarier than all get out when they do their pushups on the wall and then fling themselves across the room.

Millipedes- I've seen them over a foot long. I walked into my living room one night to let the dog out. Usually I did that without turning on the light cuz I had a hard time getting back to sleep if I got too much light in my eyes. For some reason, I turned it on and there, about a foot in front of me, was a huge millipede. I would have stepped on it in my bare feet. They come out after the rain some times. Oh wait - that's daily.

Geckos - cute but messy versions of the Geico critter. They 'decorate' your clothes, your walls, the backs of paintings and mirrors, and your shoes with geckodoo. They cluck at all hours of the night. The babies are strange and cute little things. But after you've cleaned up after them, you'll start putting plastic over your hanging clothes and looking for ways to seal up every crevice to keep them out.

I'm sure the other Hawaii experts on here have their own list of faves...

Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Eh!!! You no wat?????????? You stay tired of all dose pesky critters stay pestin you?????? You no, da centidakinepedes, da ants, (not your Aunty, da oddah kine),,, da scorpions, da cane spidahs, da relatives dat juss do'n wan to leave da cahport, try wait, dat was sumtin else,,,, an, most worse, DA COCKAROACHES!!!!!!! DA KINE DAT SHOW UP ON DA RADAR!!!!!! CAUSE DEY IS HUMONGOUS,,,,, LYE REALLY BIG ALREADY!!!!!!!! Well, how you goin cope wit dis you stay askin??????? Is really simple da kine!!!! What likes to eat dose pesky cockaroaches, not da geckos, no ways, dose mo'o's get no chance already!!!! How many times you see one gigantirific cockaroach go flyin by, wit aftaburners on, an holding one little keiki gecko??????? PLENNY TIMES!!!!!!! IS LIKE ONE TRAGEDY!!!!!!! Poor little gecko, all innocent, juss tryin fo sell insurance fo heavens sake, so, what you goin do???????? Well, do we, hea at Uncle Lolo's da kine intranet store, half da answa for you!!!! You no what does'n work wit dose cockaroaches, da roach hotel, no ways, dey juss goin move in, an move out, da boric acid, do'n tink so, da acid juss makes da cockaroaches a little pohaku po'o, as in stoned, nex ting you no all da twinkies, ho ho's, an any kine chocolate you get is gone already!!!!! Why, cause da cockaroaches, WEN COCKAROACH EM ALREADY!!! AS IN STEAL!!!! Eh, whea you tink da word cockaroach wen come from anyways!!!!You can try spray em wit Raid, day juss goin smile at dat one!!! Can feed em Spam Lite, slows em down a bit, so you can whack em wit da rubbah slippah Soooo, whea was we, oh yea, fo get rid of dose pesky pests, what do you really need???????? ONE MONGOOSE!!!!!!!!! WHY, YOU LYE ASK, CAUSE A MONGOOSE WILL KAU KAU, AS IN EAT, ANYTING!!!!!! SPECIALLY COCKAROACHES!!!!!!! So, get rid of dose pesky cockaroaches, an rent one mongoose, only 12 dollah five seveny two for whole mont!!!! An, if you get really big hale, as in house, get 2 mongooses, or is dat mongeese???????? Well, nevah mind, for only 28 dollah tree seveny two eighty!!!! How great is dat, twice da mong whatevahs fo ovah double da price!!!!! Act now, supplies are limited!!!!!!

Joking aside, just stepped on a scorpion in my kitchen, wasn't intentional, threw the thing outside, always a good idea to wear slippahs.

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu