Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Think about it whtviper. NOI/purchase price equals cap rate. $700,000 at a 7% cap rate equals a NOI of $49,000. At 3% the NOI would be $21,000. Obviously these two Waikiki condos are NOT comparable. The market is not going to pay $700,000 for $21,000 of NOI when you can get $49,000 for $700,000! See how you are not comparing apples to apples?
No.

Just no.

You are making an assumption that all $700K properties are created equally in Waikiki.

Some properties yield much more in rent than similar properties at the same price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 12:53 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Actually no I'm not. I'm talking about maintenance fees/HOA dues - same thing as you. I guess the owners of Yacht Harbor Towers live paycheck to paycheck, right? Yacht Harbor Towers owners had to pay $40-$80K in a one time special assessment to fix their failing building. And 2bdrm owners are still paying $1,200/mo for maintenance fees ON TOP of that nearly 6-figure special assessment.

Even owners of luxury buildings get whacked with crazy special assessments. Here is one in Boston I'm sure you'll appreciate -

Dealing with Special Assessments

You said AOAO's have minimum reserve accounts! That is not the same as having a well funded reserve account. YHT? I don't know who lives there but I looked at their listings and they are selling for about half per square foot of my fully funded reserve building on the water. I also didn't see any mention of special assessments. About $700 maintenance for a 700+ sf condo that provides A/C hot water and electricity doesn't seem excessive.

Read your article. It talks about proper budgeting. That's a big secret?? to avoiding special assessments.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
No.

Just no.

You are making an assumption that all $700K properties are created equally in Waikiki.

Some properties yield much more in rent than similar properties at the same price.
AND the reason for that is that they ARE NOT comparable properties!!!!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:04 AM

Quote:
AND the reason for that is that they ARE NOT comparable properties!!!!
No.

Just no.

You can't expect every property priced at exactly the same price to be comparable.

Property 1 - price $700K, maintenance fees are $500

Property 2- price $700K, maintenance fees are $1,000

Rent for both is $3,000 - far different ROI.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,726 times
Quote:
You said AOAO's have minimum reserve accounts! That is not the same as having a well funded reserve account. YHT? I don't know who lives there but I looked at their listings and they are selling for about half per square foot of my fully funded reserve building on the water. I also didn't see any mention of special assessments. About $700 maintenance for a 700+ sf condo that provides A/C hot water and electricity doesn't seem excessive.

Read your article. It talks about proper budgeting. That's a big secret?? to avoiding special assessments.
Minimum as in it meets the reserve study's requirement. I was not referring to "minimum" as one cent above the minimum required by state law. Big difference.

$700/mo for a 700 SF apartment is high especially if the unit doesn't rely on a/c to be comfortable. On a long term rental basis, that would eat into 1/3 of the rental income (assuming $2,100 would be fair for a 700 SF condo but with you, who knows... you may be renting it out for $5,000). One third of gross rent going to a maintenance fee is scary. But that's just me.

You clearly live in a predictable world - congratulations. Unfortunately for myself and every other person on the planet (except you) we live in an UNpredictable world. The fact that you think any owner of a condo that gets hit with a special assessment is living in a building that is run by morons (wait, not just morons - poor morons), is ridiculously presumptuous and obnoxious. Special assessments are not avoidable by good management alone. It's appalling some of the things you say. Seriously.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
No.

Just no.

You can't expect every property priced at exactly the same price to be comparable.

Property 1 - price $700K, maintenance fees are $500

Property 2- price $700K, maintenance fees are $1,000

Rent for both is $3,000 - far different ROI.
You are just parroting what I said. They are not comparable properties. Duh. Same market value and same rents DO NOT guarantee comparability. AND now you've changed to talking about ROI instead of cap rates. COMPARABLE properties will sell at the same general market cap rate.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
AND now you've changed to talking about ROI instead of cap rates.
they are the same thing

Old 03-27-2015, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Minimum as in it meets the reserve study's requirement. I was not referring to "minimum" as one cent above the minimum required by state law. Big difference.

$700/mo for a 700 SF apartment is high especially if the unit doesn't rely on a/c to be comfortable. On a long term rental basis, that would eat into 1/3 of the rental income (assuming $2,100 would be fair for a 700 SF condo but with you, who knows... you may be renting it out for $5,000). One third of gross rent going to a maintenance fee is scary. But that's just me.

You clearly live in a predictable world - congratulations. Unfortunately for myself and every other person on the planet (except you) we live in an UNpredictable world. The fact that you think any owner of a condo that gets hit with a special assessment is living in a building that is run by morons (wait, not just morons - poor morons), is ridiculously presumptuous and obnoxious. Special assessments are not avoidable by good management alone. It's appalling some of the things you say. Seriously.
Appalling, maybe. Factual? Yeah. The $700 maintenance is from YOUR YHT that YOU claim has mega special assessments and double maintenance cost. I looked at Oahure.com and they make no mention of the assessment and I pointed out that less than a dollar per sf on a property that provides all utilities including A/C is not that high.

So what is Oahure.com missing from the financials on YHT?

Last edited by honobob; 03-27-2015 at 02:11 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
they are the same thing
Are not!

Old 03-27-2015, 01:30 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,726 times
Quote:
Appalling, maybe. Factual? Yeah. The $700 maintenance is from YOUR YHT that YOUU claim has mega special assessments and double maintenance cost. I looked at Oahure.com and they make no mention of the assessment and I pointed out that less than a dollar per sf on a property that provides all utilities including A/C is not that high.

So what is Oahure.com missing from the financials on YHT?
Exactly, so I proved my point. The fees are too high for what it is AND they got whacked by an insanely high special assessment.

YHT financials on Oahure? Huh? It's probably not on current MLS listings because this was handled years ago. You can see the description from a few units "special assessment paid in full", etc in older listings from years back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu