Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think you are confusing what a cap rate is - I gave an example in a previous post - it is related solely to income.

$700K condo, $700 maintenance/HOA fee, $3,000/monthly rent, and property taxes yields a cap rate of about 3.5% (actually less, you still have to deal with GET taxes) assuming you don't have to put a dime into the property and it is always rented. .
Where are you getting a $700K value for the condo without a market cap rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:
We think a bit differently - I'd rather have a $500,000 property with no money down and positive cash flow
Please read what I posted and if you are going to quote me please include the full sentence. I would agree that a $500,000 property with no money down and positive cash flow is the better choice.

Do you disagree with my choice of the TWO choices I gave?

Old 03-26-2015, 05:50 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Where are you getting a $700K value for the condo without a market cap rate?
$700K = price paid for the condo.

I still think we may be confusing what you think a cap rate is:

DEFINITION OF 'CAPITALIZATION RATE'

A rate of return on a real estate investment property based on the expected income that the property will generate. Capitalization rate is used to estimate the investor's potential return on his or her investment. This is done by dividing the income the property will generate (after fixed costs and variable costs) by the total value of the property. If you want to get technical, it is basically the discount rate of a perpetuity.
Capitalization Rate = Yearly Income/Total Value
Also known as "cap rate".

Capitalization Rate Definition | Investopedia

Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
$700K = price paid for the condo.

I still think we may be confusing what you think a cap rate is:

DEFINITION OF 'CAPITALIZATION RATE'

A rate of return on a real estate investment property based on the expected income that the property will generate. Capitalization rate is used to estimate the investor's potential return on his or her investment. This is done by dividing the income the property will generate (after fixed costs and variable costs) by the total value of the property. If you want to get technical, it is basically the discount rate of a perpetuity.
Capitalization Rate = Yearly Income/Total Value
Also known as "cap rate".

Capitalization Rate Definition | Investopedia
A very poor and inaccurate definition of a cap rate.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

You should also educate yourself to what net operating income is and the definition of operating expenses.

Last edited by honobob; 03-26-2015 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
A very poor and inaccurate definition of a cap rate.
Hmmm, you like this one better - although it says the same thing as the other one.

The capitalization rate is a fundamental concept in the commercial real estate industry. Yet, it is often misunderstood and sometimes incorrectly used. This post will take a deep dive into the concept of the cap rate, and also clear up some common misconceptions.
Cap Rate Definition

What is a cap rate? The capitalization rate, often just called the cap rate, is the ratio of Net Operating Income (NOI) to property asset value. So, for example, if a property was listed for $1,000,000 and generated an NOI of $100,000, then the cap rate would be $100,000/$1,000,000, or 10%.

Cap Rate Example

Let’s take an example of how a cap rate is commonly used. Suppose we are researching the recent sale of a Class A office building with a stabilized Net Operating Income (NOI) of $1,000,000, and a sale price of $17,000,000. In the commercial real estate industry, it is common to say that this property sold at a 5.8% cap rate.

What You Should Know About The Cap Rate

Old 03-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, you like this one better - although it says the same thing as the other one.

The capitalization rate is a fundamental concept in the commercial real estate industry. Yet, it is often misunderstood and sometimes incorrectly used. This post will take a deep dive into the concept of the cap rate, and also clear up some common misconceptions.
Cap Rate Definition

What is a cap rate? The capitalization rate, often just called the cap rate, is the ratio of Net Operating Income (NOI) to property asset value. So, for example, if a property was listed for $1,000,000 and generated an NOI of $100,000, then the cap rate would be $100,000/$1,000,000, or 10%.

Cap Rate Example

Let’s take an example of how a cap rate is commonly used. Suppose we are researching the recent sale of a Class A office building with a stabilized Net Operating Income (NOI) of $1,000,000, and a sale price of $17,000,000. In the commercial real estate industry, it is common to say that this property sold at a 5.8% cap rate.

What You Should Know About The Cap Rate
That's a better definition than the first one. It addresses NOI but assumes that the reader understands what operating expenses are. You obviously do not based on your $700,000 example above.

The example is correct that if the property sold for $17,000,000 and the NOI was $1,000,000 then it sold at a 5.88% cap rate. Lets say the property was 100,000 square feet. We could then say it sold at $170 a square foot. Now we have two numbers for the subject property. Whee! Both numbers are meaningless at this point.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
That's a better definition than the first one. It addresses NOI but assumes that the reader understands what operating expenses are. You obviously do not based on your $700,000 example above.
Quote:

$700K condo, $700 maintenance/HOA fee, $3,000/monthly rent, and property taxes yields a cap rate of about 3.5% (actually less, you still have to deal with GET taxes) assuming you don't have to put a dime into the property and it is always rented.
Do tell - please, on what is missing from a simplistic example in my previous post on a $700K condo paid with cash.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Do tell - please, on what is missing from a simplistic example in my previous post on a $700K condo paid with cash.
Do you really want to learn?

You subtracted maintenance payments from the income. You SHOULD only subtract operating expenses. That is why I said you should educate yourself about them. A maintenance fee will also include money set aside for reserves. Maintenance fees can include other expenses that are not operating expenses.

Of course to try to utilize cap rates for condos for any reason is ridiculous anyway but good to know if you ever venture into commercial properties.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:17 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,651 times
Quote:
Maintenance fees can include other expenses that are not operating expenses.
Such as?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu