Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 06:48 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
The reality is very few locals (i.e. people that Waikikiboy are referring to) are buying these units.
Well - more than half are from Hawaii. When I take a trip and someone asks me where I am from - I don't say "I'm from Hawaii", I say "I'm from Chicago - but I live in Hawaii".

You seem certain that is not the case - do you have any data?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times
Let's skip big and bad - Howard Hughes. How about what a "local company" is saying: Conspiracy?

Alexander & Baldwin, Inc. said Monday 90 percent of the 464 units in its Collection tower in Kakaako have been sold with the "vast majority" going to local owners.

Hawaii Breaking News - A&B says 90% of Collection tower in Kakaako sold - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times
@pj737

You brought up some good points by saying "Very few transplants genuinely assimilate and truly appreciate and respect Hawaii's culture. Yes, some do. But most do not. International and mainland transplants (which are still considered "residents" by definition) are buying these condos like hotcakes but how many locally born/raised/educated (those that are most likely to respect and practice local culture) are actually moving in? The reality is very few locals (i.e. people that Waikikiboy are referring to) are buying these units." and And yes, as much as you hate pidgin speaking people, I would LOVE to see a good number of pidgin-speaking owners moving into the Waiea building. That would be a very refreshing change."

I ask you what other things besides pidgin english speaking makes a local different from a transplant or foreigner in thinking, values etc?

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
And don't get me wrong... there are indeed transplants that assimilate and have a genuine respect for our culture. You can see it in little things like a shaka or hand wave when you let them merge last minute... when a line of 10 cars refrains from honking when a light turns green and the first car doesn't move for 10 seconds... when you see them having a drink and enjoying themselves on a Saturday night at Mai Tai bar for the "Mai Tai rumble"... when they join a hula class or buy an ukulele... sharing food with neighbors, etc etc. When malahini absorbs the cultural norms, values, beliefs, and behavior patterns of our society, they deserve a higher respect than those that do not. Locals don't dislike malahini... they only dislike people that are unwilling to assimilate. And no, this has nothing to do with wealth and education (despite the fact some locals hate success - this kind of jealousy is universal and not just tied to local culture) because there are many locals that have very real issues with less educated/poorer races that do not make efforts to assimilate.

Hawaii is one of the very few places on earth that if you are willing to assimilate and respect the local culture, it doesn't matter what your race, ethnicity, income level, education and religious beliefs are. You are welcome here.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's skip big and bad - Howard Hughes. How about what a "local company" is saying: Conspiracy?

Alexander & Baldwin, Inc. said Monday 90 percent of the 464 units in its Collection tower in Kakaako have been sold with the "vast majority" going to local owners.

Hawaii Breaking News - A&B says 90% of Collection tower in Kakaako sold - Hawaii News - Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Which also the article says alot of owners are going to be renting them out. Again for the record if thats the case then its not locals but investors.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Yes, you agree with the developer's and realtor's propaganda. Hats off to you my friend.

Again, a "local" to a realtor/developer is simply someone with a local address. Did you not read my previous posts regarding this? You are welcome to call A&B right now to see or fill out one of their "interest" cards yourself. It's all there.

Last edited by pj737; 03-25-2015 at 07:20 PM..

Old 03-25-2015, 07:13 PM

@pj737

+100 exactly pj737. But unfortunately some transplants or malahini like to make it about racism and classism so they don't have to look at there own behaviors or change. If you can label locals racist then you can ignore any or everyone of there concerns.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:19 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
(despite the fact some locals hate success - this kind of jealousy is universal and not just tied to local culture) because there are many locals that have very real issues with less educated/poorer races that do not make efforts to assimilate.
It's not so much that some 'locals' hate success, it's that many locals don't like how 'success' is defined by some.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
It's not so much that some 'locals' hate success, it's that many locals don't like how 'success' is defined by some.
Hating on success is not a Hawaii local thing - it's a global phenomena and a reflection on human nature in general. Less successful people will always be envious of highly successful people.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:40 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
You missed the point. It's a matter of how one defines success, and is being truly happy intrinsically tied to material things. Mr. Conrad Jones vs Miss Momi Lomilomi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu