Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 07:25 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,873,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Such as?
Loans, Fee purchases, land purchases, cable, electricity etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 07:33 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,575,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Loans, Fee purchases, land purchases, cable, electricity etc.
It's a futile argument from the start, but the vast majority of expenditures related to maintenance fees are all operating expenses. At least on the properties that I'm involved with.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It's a futile argument from the start, but the vast majority of expenditures related to maintenance fees are all operating expenses. At least on the properties that I'm involved with.
I don't see where there's an argument. It's simply a matter of education. The average home owner has no need to know or understand a cap rate.

If the HOA's you're familiar with are not collecting monies for reserves they are poor managers and probably breaking Hawaii laws. The only reason to not be collecting for reserves is they are over funded or under funded. Both situations are not fair to the owners. If I buy a condo that has not been collecting for a twenty year roof that needs replacement in 5 years then the current owner is shafting me by not paying his share for the last 15 years. If the HOA is over funded then I have bought two roofs and when I sell the new owner will benefit from my overpayment.

Either way operating expenses are what they are and only they should be subtracted from income in addition to V/C to get NOI to be used for a cap rate computation.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
I don't see where there's an argument. It's simply a matter of education. The average home owner has no need to know or understand a cap rate.
I agree. The average homeowner doesn't need to know a cap rate. But someone looking into rental income should as one of the metrics to compare properties

Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I agree. The average homeowner doesn't need to know a cap rate. But someone looking into rental income should as one of the metrics to compare properties
How do you "compare" properties using a cap rate? All a cap rate does is report the ratio of NOI to sold price for a specific property type in a particular market in a certain time period.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:01 PM

This is why I said 'futile'. Monies collected as maintenance fees that are placed into the reserve are there to offset future maintenance costs. Hence, all the money collected, is for operating expenses, both immediate, as in electric, gas, insurance, and future, as in roof replacement, painting, parking lot re-surfacing, etc.

Auwe, ha'awi mai i maha

Old 03-26-2015, 09:05 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
How do you "compare" properties using a cap rate? All a cap rate does is report the ratio of NOI to sold price for a specific property type in a particular market in a certain time period.
Lets pretend I want a rental property in Waikiki. Both cost $700K. Property 1 has a cap rate of 3%. Property 2 has a cap rate of 7%. Guess what. Property 2 has more of my attention.

Old 03-26-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Lets pretend I want a rental property in Waikiki. Both cost $700K. Property 1 has a cap rate of 3%. Property 2 has a cap rate of 7%. Guess what. Property 2 has more of my attention.
Why?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
This is why I said 'futile'. Monies collected as maintenance fees that are placed into the reserve are there to offset future maintenance costs. Hence, all the money collected, is for operating expenses, both immediate, as in electric, gas, insurance, and future, as in roof replacement, painting, parking lot re-surfacing, etc.

Auwe, ha'awi mai i maha
Cap rates are computed using only ONE year of income and operating expenses. If you use under or over stated expenses (more/less than one year) then your "cap rate" loses its utility. It actually isn't a cap rate.

Think it thru..you are trying to use one years income but subtracting multiple years expenses. See how that makes no sense?

Last edited by honobob; 03-26-2015 at 09:31 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Cap rates are computed using only ONE year of income and operating expenses. If you use under or over stated expenses (more/less than one year) then your "cap rate" loses its utility. It actually isn't a cap rate.

Think it thru..you are trying to use one years income but subtracting multiple years expenses. See how that makes no sense?
I wasn't referring to the cap rate. I was strictly referring to the maintenance costs. Read it through. And have a nice weekend.

Ho'omimi i loko ka makani
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu