Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 12:29 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Lol. And what is the requirement to be considered a "Hawaii resident" ? Lived in Hawaii for a week? A month? A year?
Do you have statistics that say otherwise?

http://intltax.typepad.com/intltax_b...-domicile.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 12:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you have statistics that say otherwise?

International Tax Blog: U.S.
Wrong. It's just the mailing address you give the realtor. That's how they determine Hawaii residency. Many of those buyers have moved to Hawaii very recently. The article (i.e. ad) comes off sounding as if these are locals buying, not newly arriving people that plan to spend most of their (future) time in Hawaii.

Yes, there are locals buying, but to say only 10% are "mainlanders" is very misleading. The article is written very deceptively (made so by the data provided by the developer) and I'm surprised you don't realize that.

The reality is these ultra-high end condos are highly disproportionally sold to people OTHER than locals.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Wrong. It's just the mailing address you give the realtor. That's how they determine Hawaii residency. Many of those buyers have moved to Hawaii very recently. The article (i.e. ad) comes off sounding as if these are locals buying, not newly arriving people that plan to spend most of their (future) time in Hawaii.
Do you have a source to support your theory. Last I checked Pacific Business News is a local paper. Are they in on the conspiracy also? Darn.

Here is how to reach them for libel.

About Us - Pacific Business News

Old 03-24-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Do you have a source to support your theory. Last I checked Pacific Business News is a local paper. Are they in on the conspiracy also? Darn.

Here is how to reach them for libel.

About Us - Pacific Business News
A very prominent Hawaii developer is providing their SELF reported (i.e. not third party verified) sales data to an ad-based business paper and you take it at face value?

Why would I report anything to PBN? They are not lying. They are simply taking the sales data from Howard Hughes and reporting that data. They are doing nothing wrong.

To Howard Hughes, "residency" simply means you need to have a mailing address in the state. There are no other requirements to show "proof" of residency - whatever address you provide the selling realtor is the address they use to determine "residency". In fact it doesn't even have to be YOUR mailing address - it could be someone you know that resides here. Clearly, this does not translate to locals buying by any stretch of the imagination. But the article sure reads that way (and you bought into it).

Last edited by pj737; 03-24-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-24-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:

To Howard Hughes, "residency" simply means you need to have a mailing address in the state. There are no other requirements to show "proof" of residency - whatever address you provide the selling realtor is the address they use to determine "residency". In fact it doesn't even have to be YOUR mailing address - it could be someone you know that resides here. Clearly, this does not translate to locals buying by any stretch of the imagination. But the article sure reads that way (and you bought into it).
Well - we'd love to see your data. Whenever I pass the high rises in Kakaako/Ala Moana I sure see most of the lights on in the buildings - if it was all these out of state renters, we'd sure have a dark city, wouldn't we? Try heading up to The Signature at the Ala Moana hotel or Sarento's at the Ilikai and take a look.

20% of the Ward Master Plan are reserved for residents at 80-100% of median income right off the bat. So, it isn't a big leap that residents at 100%+ of the median are also buying units making up half of the residents being local.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:52 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Good grief charlie brown! I find it hard that once again someone who lives in Hawaii for along time here on CDF Hawaii doesn't know the difference between a transplant, malahini or resident to a local or kama'aina?

So could someone other then myself please explain the difference so people know its just not my supposive bias or racist opinion.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
That is a lot of local resident buying - and certainly debunks it is a bunch of "mainland" people snapping up all the units. Good article.
It doesn't debunk anything. The key word is resident. Further if you had looked at the stats provided on the post b4 yours and waikikiboys it would of shown you that in honolulu county alone the total population of locals is 53.4% thats almost 10% less in population from the 1990s. So its difficult to imagine that more half the condos in kakaako are being bought by locals. Maybe transplants or residents?

Further in another article about kakaako condos being built and bought already has the local population higher but admits that alot of the condos being bought by there definition of locals are going to be rented out by the owners another words an personal investment in a market that lacks housing.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
It doesn't debunk anything. The key word is resident.
No, first sentence of the article has nothing to do with "residency" - it says more than half are from Hawaii. It doesn't say residents. It says, from Hawaii. Not California - not Japan, more than half - from Hawaii.

More than half of the buyers in The Howard Hughes Corp.'s first two luxury condominium towers in Honolulu are from Hawaii

Half of units in Howard Hughes' luxury Honolulu towers sold to Hawaii residents - Pacific Business News

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
So its difficult to imagine that more half the condos in kakaako are being bought by locals. Maybe transplants or residents?
No, people from Hawaii.

"More than half of the buyers in The Howard Hughes Corp.'s first two luxury condominium towers in Honolulu are from Hawaii"

Half of units in Howard Hughes' luxury Honolulu towers sold to Hawaii residents - Pacific Business News

Old 03-25-2015, 03:40 PM

[quote=WaikikiBoy;38928062]

Or would change be primarily just what you would expect to see in terms of change because of generational change as the culture of one generation passes on to the adjustments of the younger generation?

I wantted to address this cultural question because yes somethings change based on a generation aspect. But what doesn't normally change is cultural identity. For example, one thing that is common thru out each generation on Hawai'i is the basic ideal of aloha, ohana, community and pride. In no other generation besides today have people truely lost this identity. This isn't a generation thing because prior generations would have had the same identity crises. For example, how many times you hear aloha is false today out of the mouths of this generation? Or people today don't even know basic local stuff that is generational. This isn't a generation thing but an influence thing, but jmho.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Well - we'd love to see your data. Whenever I pass the high rises in Kakaako/Ala Moana I sure see most of the lights on in the buildings - if it was all these out of state renters, we'd sure have a dark city, wouldn't we? Try heading up to The Signature at the Ala Moana hotel or Sarento's at the Ilikai and take a look.

Waikikiboy wrote - It is a sincere question because part of what attracts me to Hawaii is the culture of the people that live there.

Very few transplants genuinely assimilate and truly appreciate and respect Hawaii's culture. Yes, some do. But most do not. International and mainland transplants (which are still considered "residents" by definition) are buying these condos like hotcakes but how many locally born/raised/educated (those that are most likely to respect and practice local culture) are actually moving in? The reality is very few locals (i.e. people that Waikikiboy are referring to) are buying these units.

The argument isn't that people aren't actually residing in these units - we just disagree on what we consider "local". While I don't think you have to be born and raised in Hawaii to be considered local, you definitely should have lived here for at least half of your entire life. That goes for any age. I have nothing to substantiate that factually and "local" is a very loosely defined term. But that's just my opinion. Spend enough time here and you generally tend to assimilate to some extent. And if people don't like it, they move. In contrast, your definition of local is anyone that has a physical address here. They literally could have lived here one day. Sorry, this is not local by anyone's definition but your own.

And yes, as much as you hate pidgin speaking people, I would LOVE to see a good number of pidgin-speaking owners moving into the Waiea building. That would be a very refreshing change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu