Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:12 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
It seems like quite a stretch to believe increased building heights would be driver for increasing tourism on Oahu. And a bit disingenuous as well.

Frankly, I think Hawaii has enough tourists. The issue for Hawaii, I believe, is properly managing the revenue from the tourists they already have.
OMG, THIS. I happen to be pro legalized gambling, just not here in Hawaii. We do not properly manage what we have, give them more, and they will mismanage more.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
And @whtviper1

But compared to the cost of housing and living plus low wages must everything be expensive in Oahu? The fact that one utility is cheap is a blessing to the middle and working class people of oahu compared to the cost of electricity which is between three and four times the average price on the mainland.

And regarding the topic of building up? When we build each building up to its limit, then what? Keep raising the limits? How does that solve our population and limitted resource issue? No offense i would take a 400ft limit on high over 650ft or more if i had a choice but its a temp solution.

But i do have to say that you guys do bring up some good ideals.

Add the cost of 3000 miles of shipping. You know the pain for filling you car tank full? Try doing that on a container ship.

Old 03-19-2015, 02:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Add the cost of 3000 miles of shipping. You know the pain for filling you car tank full? Try doing that on a container ship.
Mahalo for your posts and input its good to hear from you.

Old 03-20-2015, 06:09 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Have we gone adrift?? Is the entire Island chain tacking it's way to the south west? Why doesn't ANYONE tell me these things?

I need to, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, know

Old 03-20-2015, 09:27 AM

63 posts, read 73,355 times
+1 ^^^ Wouldn't let me rep you again.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Have we gone adrift?? Is the entire Island chain tacking it's way to the south west? Why doesn't ANYONE tell me these things?

I need to, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, know
I picked a round number because not everything originates from the coast (though the ship does). Lazy writing.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Another Consequence of rapid population growth & development on resources and culture & economy of Hawai'i is, the effect of population growth and gentrafication on the culture and population of locals. As the influx of big money and more move to Hawai'i we are seeing more locals moving because of the high cost of living. Further the culture is changing to make it suit those outside of Hawaii. Often we hear that the population growth is from births in Hawai'i, thou partially true. That isnt the whole picture. In a recent study it was found that the population of locals was down drastically in hawaii compared to prior decades.

Local Pride? Most Hawaii Towns Saw Decline in Hawaii-Born Residents - Civil Beat

Hawaii Towns

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-21-2015 at 10:39 PM..

Old 03-23-2015, 01:49 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
I found this article interesting and it seems relevant to the thread with respect to culture and development.

It looks at the Howard Hughes tower developments in Kakaako and states that 50% of all the units sold to date were purchased by local Hawaii residents. The remaining 50% were sold to buyers from Japan, Canada, China, Korea, Australia and the Mainland.

And of those 50% purchased by non-Hawaii residents, 25% were from Japan and only 10% were purchased by people from the Mainland.

Given that 50% of the units are purchased by current local Hawaii residents and another 25% are purchased by residents from Japan, and only 10% from the Mainland, would this represent really anything much different culturally than exists today in Kakaako ?

Or would change be primarily just what you would expect to see in terms of change because of generational change as the culture of one generation passes on to the adjustments of the younger generation ?

It is a sincere question because part of what attracts me to Hawaii is the culture of the people that live there.

Half of units in Howard Hughes' luxury Honolulu towers sold to Hawaii residents - Pacific Business News

Old 03-23-2015, 02:04 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post

It looks at the Howard Hughes tower developments in Kakaako and states that 50% of all the units sold to date were purchased by local Hawaii residents. The remaining 50% were sold to buyers from Japan, Canada, China, Korea, Australia and the Mainland.

Given that 50% of the units are purchased by current local Hawaii residents and another 25% are purchased by residents from Japan, and only 10% from the Mainland, would this represent really anything much different culturally than exists today in Kakaako ?
That is a lot of local resident buying - and certainly debunks it is a bunch of "mainland" people snapping up all the units. Good article.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:42 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,110,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
That is a lot of local resident buying - and certainly debunks it is a bunch of "mainland" people snapping up all the units. Good article.
Lol. And what is the requirement to be considered a "Hawaii resident" ? Lived in Hawaii for a week? A month? A year?

Just more warm and fuzzy pro-development propaganda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu