Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:08 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

@Mattks

Yes things can always be worse, we could be like the island nation of the philippines. As for Hong Kong or Singapore as being an example. How would Hong Kong or Singapore type model of housing density or development work for saleing a tropical paradise image that Oahu or other islands try to sale? What effect would it have on the desire for tourist to visit? Further, would it be foolish to believe that if we built the extreme density on Oahu that it would be limited to Oahu? Mahalo for your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 03:13 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
What makes you say that? I just looked at census information and Hawaii has had about 10% growth each decade for a few decades, that is lower then then 20-25% growth seen in the 50s-70s. So from what I understand growth has been slowing, but it is not negative.
I didn't say Hawaii was losing population - I said more people move away from Hawaii than move to Hawaii, the population is increasing due to longer lives and more births than deaths.

According to city data regarding Hawaii migration in the past 40 years.

"Since the early 1970s, about 40,000 mainland Americans have come each year to live in Hawaii. More than half are military personnel and their dependents, on temporary residence during their term of military service. This is the timeframe of the anti-immigration video

From 1985 to 1990, Hawaii suffered a net loss from migration within the US, but experienced an overall net gain in migration due to immigration from abroad. Still more people moving to Hawaii than leaving

Between 1990 and 1998, the net loss from domestic migration was 80,000. In this timeframe, 80,000 people moved away from away than moved to Hawaii, offset by a gain of 51,000 immigrants - but still overall, more people moved away from than moved to Hawaii.

During the same period there was a net gain of 51,000 from international migration. In 1998, 5,465 foreign immigrants arrived in Hawaii. Between 1990 and 1998, the state's overall population increased 7.6%.

In the period 1995–2000, 125,160 people moved into the state and 201,293 moved out, for a net loss of 76,133, of whom about 44,192 moved to California." That is a lot of people moving out of Hawaii than moving to Hawaii.

http://www.city-data.com/states/Hawaii-Migration.html

Here is what the US census says about migration to Hawaii.

See page 6.

The census says from 1990 to 2000 118,000 more people moved out of Hawaii than moved to Hawaii. From 2000 to 2004, 8,213 more people moved out of Hawaii than moved to Hawaii. Regardless of sources, more people since 1990 have been moving away from Hawaii than move to Hawaii

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf

Old 03-17-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post

What effect would it have on the desire for tourist to visit?
Let's take Hong Kong as an example, have you ever been? Wonderful and awesome place.

Hong Kong has roughly 54,000,000 visitors per year. Hawaii, roughly 8,000,000. So, I believe it would be safe to say if the artificial height limits on Oahu were removed, which will definitely go away some day, will increase tourism dramatically and benefit the residents of the state due to increased tax revenue. People from all over the world would tripping over themselves to be able to stay on the 80th floor of a high-end hotel.

Tourism Commission - Tourism Performance

Old 03-17-2015, 04:55 PM

133 posts, read 182,457 times
hong kong and singapore are top on my list of tourist destinations.

i've always been a fan of singapore urban development. its top notch and well-planned.
home ownership is at 90%. they place home ownership as a priority.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Let's take Hong Kong as an example, have you ever been? Wonderful and awesome place.

Hong Kong has roughly 54,000,000 visitors per year. Hawaii, roughly 8,000,000. So, I believe it would be safe to say if the artificial height limits on Oahu were removed, which will definitely go away some day, will increase tourism dramatically and benefit the residents of the state due to increased tax revenue. People from all over the world would tripping over themselves to be able to stay on the 80th floor of a high-end hotel.

Tourism Commission - Tourism Performance
Hong Kong is not known as a tourist destination as much as a business destination. Hong Kong has the Hong Kong Stock Exchange which oversees the asian stock market. That mainly is the purpose of the high tourism rates.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 03-17-2015 at 06:31 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:30 PM

@whtviper1

Further, can you tell me with your stats how many of Oahu residents are original hawaii residents or those who are multi-generational? Because it doesn't matter who migrates out of Oahu if native hawaiians and multi generational locals are moving out while rich foriegners are staying. That doesn't solve the issues.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hong Kong is not known as a tourist destination as much as a business destination.

Perhaps you could read the Hong Kong Tourism board annual report - where they state tourism is one of the main pillars of the Hong Kong economy.

HKTB Annual Report 2013/14

How about a Hong Kong tourism fact sheet - Hong Kong would disagree with you:

"The tourism industry is a major pillar of the economy of Hong Kong. In 2012, it contributed to 4.7 per cent of

Hong Kong’s GDP. It employs around 250 900 persons, accounting for 6.9 per cent of total employment."

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/f...cs/tourism.pdf

Have you been to Hong Kong? You didn't enjoy it?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:37 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Hong Kong has roughly 54,000,000 visitors per year. Hawaii, roughly 8,000,000. So, I believe it would be safe to say if the artificial height limits on Oahu were removed, which will definitely go away some day, will increase tourism dramatically
It seems like quite a stretch to believe increased building heights would be driver for increasing tourism on Oahu. And a bit disingenuous as well.

Frankly, I think Hawaii has enough tourists. The issue for Hawaii, I believe, is properly managing the revenue from the tourists they already have.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:

Further, can you tell me with your stats how many of Oahu residents are original hawaii residents or those who are multi-generational?
Let's start with this -

In 2000 to 2010, Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Native in Hawaii grew over 19% in population within Hawaii second only Two or more races which grew over 23%. American Indians/Native Alaskans grew by nearly 18%. Us rich white folks only grew a bit over 14% in that same timeframe. The only race to decrease was Blacks.

Or, are these increased population of Native Hawaiians just rich Native Hawaiians?

Your stats? So far, all I've seen is a 1970's anti-immigration video in this thread.

Last edited by whtviper1; 03-17-2015 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
It seems like quite a stretch to believe increased building heights would be driver for increasing tourism on Oahu.
I highly disagree - it would be a much more stunning skyline and be a great game changer for Hawaii.

The height limits are going to change - it is only a matter of time. The island is running out of space and building up is the only alternative.

I know this as a personal fact - the only thing holding back tourism in Hawaii is lack of hotel space - that is why rates are going so much higher - at some point, there will be another building boom of hotels with the increased room rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu