Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 07:24 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I didn't say Hawaii was losing population - I said more people move away from Hawaii than move to Hawaii, the population is increasing due to longer lives and more births than deaths.

According to city data regarding Hawaii migration in the past 40 years.

"Since the early 1970s, about 40,000 mainland Americans have come each year to live in Hawaii. More than half are military personnel and their dependents, on temporary residence during their term of military service. This is the timeframe of the anti-immigration video

From 1985 to 1990, Hawaii suffered a net loss from migration within the US, but experienced an overall net gain in migration due to immigration from abroad. Still more people moving to Hawaii than leaving

Between 1990 and 1998, the net loss from domestic migration was 80,000. In this timeframe, 80,000 people moved away from away than moved to Hawaii, offset by a gain of 51,000 immigrants - but still overall, more people moved away from than moved to Hawaii.

During the same period there was a net gain of 51,000 from international migration. In 1998, 5,465 foreign immigrants arrived in Hawaii. Between 1990 and 1998, the state's overall population increased 7.6%.

In the period 1995–2000, 125,160 people moved into the state and 201,293 moved out, for a net loss of 76,133, of whom about 44,192 moved to California." That is a lot of people moving out of Hawaii than moving to Hawaii.

http://www.city-data.com/states/Hawaii-Migration.html

Here is what the US census says about migration to Hawaii.

See page 6.

The census says from 1990 to 2000 118,000 more people moved out of Hawaii than moved to Hawaii. From 2000 to 2004, 8,213 more people moved out of Hawaii than moved to Hawaii. Regardless of sources, more people since 1990 have been moving away from Hawaii than move to Hawaii

http://www.census.gov/prod/2006pubs/p25-1135.pdf
Thanks for the detailed links! That's very interesting and I would have never guessed more people moved away from Hawaii then move to Hawaii.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:59 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,899,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Mattks

Yes things can always be worse, we could be like the island nation of the philippines. As for Hong Kong or Singapore as being an example. How would Hong Kong or Singapore type model of housing density or development work for saleing a tropical paradise image that Oahu or other islands try to sale? What effect would it have on the desire for tourist to visit? Further, would it be foolish to believe that if we built the extreme density on Oahu that it would be limited to Oahu? Mahalo for your post.
Both Hong Kong and Singapore are huge tourist destinations in the tropics so are very comparable. Hong Kong is a beautiful city. I have not been there, but my father has a few times, and it's his favorite city on the planet, and he's been to over 30 countries. Regulating migration to the extreme you are speaking of just seems way too authoritative to me and the problems that could create could be worse. Hong Kong and Singapore both have huge problems Hawaii wouldn't have to deal with, and visa versa, however, the fact that Hong Kong (and Singapore) has remained so clean and beautiful is striking to me, considering one of the dirtiest most polluted cities in the world is 15 miles away. Hawaii is so isolated I don't ever see it having the population or pollution problems of Hong Kong. As long as the city is well designed I believe they can keep it beautiful. I would consider stricter regulations on building beatification.

Oahu has a population of 983,000 (2013) and Hong Kong is 7.2 million (2014). Just Oahu (and there are still many other islands people can live on) is 596 sq miles and all of Hong Kong is 426 sq miles, including reclaimed land. Both are mountainous. Hong Kong has a country right on it's border with over a billion people, many trying to gain entry for a higher quality life. Again Oahu is very isolated. I understand your worry, and the truth is it will be developed more and more, but it's never going to become like Hong Kong, density wise. Also, Hawaii has the backing of the US government (and the US tourist economy), so I wouldn't be so quick to compare to poorer countries.

Last part, my uncle lives on the Big Island, and from the pictures I've seen it's not even remotely dense anywhere. It would take decades of crazy fast development before it started getting dense with people, and that type of development is yet to seen.

Search Discovery Bay Hong Kong, it was one of the newest developments in Hong Kong, that would be a great model. My ex was from Hong Kong and that's where her family was owned a condo.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
@whtviper1

You mean other pacific islanders? How many other forms of pacific islanders do we have? I know of 28 besides native hawaiians. Did you know that b4 2010 only 356,000 people in Hawaii(the largest state for those who are native hawaiian, multi raced or pacific islanders) claimed to be native hawaiian or multi raced(hawaiian and pacific islander) or pacific islanders? Thats not alot.

Did you know in Hawaii according to the census that in 2015 Whites living in Hawaii was 336,599 but Native Hawaiian and other pacific islanders population was 135,422. How do you explain the decrease in population? When its the birthrate that is causing the poplation growth. Like i said, yes people are moving the poor mostly native hawaiians and locals.

Did you know that mainlanders now beat two or more races in Hawaii at 320,629.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:52 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 PM

@Mattks

Never been to Hong Kong, i imagine its pretty. I guess whatever your core values are will determine where you stand on this issue. I do know that there is a clash between two groups whos value systems are the opposite of eachother. I also know that one group just wants to preserve a way of life and is fighting for just existence, the other is concerned with accumulating wealth. Anyway mahalo for your imput.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:49 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
[quote=hawaiian by heart;38856935

Did you know that mainlanders now beat two or more races in Hawaii at 320,629.

[/quote]

I didn't. Wow!

Although, I didn't see the word "main" or "mainlander" in the link - I must have missed it.

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,109,379 times
Quote:
Let's start with this -

In 2000 to 2010, Native Hawaiians and Other Pacific Native in Hawaii grew over 19% in population within Hawaii.
Those are not Hawaiians. They are mostly Micronesians.

And that's unfortunate.... well, because they are not indigenous to these islands. I'll stop at that.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Those are not Hawaiians. They are mostly Micronesians.

And that's unfortunate.... well, because they are not indigenous to these islands. I'll stop at that.
Do you have any data to support that position?

Nobody is indigenous to Hawaii - it was South Pacific Islanders who stumbled on Hawaii in canoes - I didn't think it was in dispute "Native" Hawaiians are originally South Pacific Islanders. Since it is St. Patrick's Day as I write this - much the same who says they are Irish in the US has ancestors in Ireland - same with "Native" Hawaiians, they originate in the South Pacific Islands.

And, what is wrong with Micronesians, anything we should be worried about?

Old 03-18-2015, 04:52 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,254 times
I'm not from Hawaii and have only had the chance to visit. I find it interesting that Honolulu metro continues to expand outwards through sprawl, rather than up. Traffic is notorious, while infrastructure is mediocre & outdated. It's disappointing that Oaha sprawls given the higher maintenance costs of subsidizing sprawl and the endless ecological/environmental effects it has on such a beautiful island. In my opinion, locals really need to encourage an urban growth boundary before all the land is eaten up. Also, the building height limit seems archaic given the astronomical housing prices and limited land.

What are local opinions regarding increasing the height limits? Hong Kong only limits heights so that they do not block the mountain views...

Old 03-18-2015, 06:37 AM

473 posts, read 796,817 times
Edwards v. California gives some insight on the legal implications of attempts to keep citizens from other states from moving to your state.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Do you have any data to support that position?

Nobody is indigenous to Hawaii - it was South Pacific Islanders who stumbled on Hawaii in canoes - I didn't think it was in dispute "Native" Hawaiians are originally South Pacific Islanders. Since it is St. Patrick's Day as I write this - much the same who says they are Irish in the US has ancestors in Ireland - same with "Native" Hawaiians, they originate in the South Pacific Islands.

And, what is wrong with Micronesians, anything we should be worried about?
Your kinda ridiculous whtviper1 to say no one is indigenous to Hawaii. The first settlers to Hawaii were the Marquesas then Tahitians all polynesian. To say native hawaiians are not indigenous to Hawaii is like saying german people are not indigenous to europe because of the presence of english or french people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu