Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 09:39 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umcbn1K3FOg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S02ZMFcYgsk

First video from this month shows up to the airport station. I was pleasantly surprised to still see a relative lack of traffic in the video (granted, I don't know what time it was taken).

Second video from June shows progress up the Middle Street section.
Thanks for sharing these videos. It looks like most of the stations have side platforms instead of center platforms, thus making the stations more expensive to build, operate, and maintain. This is due to needing at least two elevators, escalator sets, stairways, etc. to access the two side platforms instead of one of each to access a center platform. Also, I couldn't quite tell, but it looks like the access from the airport station has passengers having to go through the parking garage first and then going from there to the main terminal. Not the most convenient means of access, though it could be worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 12:17 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Proposed rail hours released.

Initially, rail is proposed to operate from 5AM - 7PM on weekdays and 8AM - 7PM on weekends.

Once rail extends to the civil center years from now, rail scheduled to run 4AM - 12AM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmM7OFT6YE0

Hours seem funny, especially for weekends, but then again rail is meant to help alleviate traffic. While it's doubtful that it will do so, traffic isn't much of an issue after 7PM most of the time, so from that standpoint it makes some sense. Then there's the point that I'm even more skeptical that many will ride rail based on the initial route it will run prior to full opening some years from now.

Old 04-05-2023, 03:02 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
I hope I am wrong - but this rail thing just seems like it will be one the largest failures in US mass transit history.

The stations have almost no parking - which makes sense on a tiny island with real estate at a premium and the ability of people who are 1) willing to commute by rail and 2) have access to a bus line that will get to a station in a reasonable time and 3) deal with waiting for a bus to get home from a station - will be extremely limited.

Old 04-06-2023, 03:02 AM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I hope I am wrong - but this rail thing just seems like it will be one the largest failures in US mass transit history.

The stations have almost no parking - which makes sense on a tiny island with real estate at a premium and the ability of people who are 1) willing to commute by rail and 2) have access to a bus line that will get to a station in a reasonable time and 3) deal with waiting for a bus to get home from a station - will be extremely limited.
It likely already ranks as one of the largest failures in US mass transit history. People in west and Central Oahu voted heavily for rail so they will ride it. Not necessarily by choice but because the city will significantly increase the cost of driving. If they don't meet the ridership estimates (which they definitely won't), they will have to "incentivize" commuters by making it expensive to drive. Expect registration fees, gas taxes and parking fees to increase. Since EVs will become more common, they will also charge commuters by the mile. Also expect toll roads to be implemented at some point. The residents in West and Central Oahu will be wishing they never voted so heavily in favor of rail.

And what an ugly abomination it is. I'm so glad that thing isn't going past Kakaako.

Old 04-06-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
If they don't meet the ridership estimates (which they definitely won't), they will have to "incentivize" commuters by making it expensive to drive. Expect registration fees, gas taxes and parking fees to increase. Since EVs will become more common, they will also charge commuters by the mile. Also expect toll roads to be implemented at some point. The residents in West and Central Oahu will be wishing they never voted so heavily in favor of rail.
Perhaps, although they’d be penalizing some of the islands poorest residents

Old 04-06-2023, 02:14 PM

1,585 posts, read 2,111,072 times
Quote:
Perhaps, although they’d be penalizing some of the islands poorest residents
Anyone on Oahu that needs to commute long distances will be paying the price of rail. At least some of those with access to rail can save significant money by foregoing car ownership altogether or reducing a two car household to a one car household. It may result in a less convenient lifestyle but they could save a ton especially with today's automobile prices and ownership costs. This is an important consideration for lower income families.

I am just doubtful many will use it and this is why I assume the city will need to figure out ways on how to get people to ride.

Old 04-06-2023, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj737 View Post
Anyone on Oahu that needs to commute long distances will be paying the price of rail. At least some of those with access to rail can save significant money by foregoing car ownership altogether or reducing a two car household to a one car household. It may result in a less convenient lifestyle but they could save a ton especially with today's automobile prices and ownership costs. This is an important consideration for lower income families.

I am just doubtful many will use it and this is why I assume the city will need to figure out ways on how to get people to ride.
I agree with you. The problem is accessibility regardless of cost. Rail will have parking at 4 of the 20 stations - that is it (supposedly - such as if they get all get built such as Pearl Highlands).

Most people aren't walking distance to a rail station.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...rail-stations/

Old 05-10-2023, 02:43 PM

Phase 1 to the now abandoned Aloha Stadium starts June 30. Phase 2 to Middle Street allegedly in 2025.

I’ve noticed as I’ve driven down the rail line on the West Side not only does the stations practically have no parking I see no active testing of new bus lines and on many stations don’t see staging areas for busses.

Old 05-11-2023, 01:26 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Phase 1 to the now abandoned Aloha Stadium starts June 30. Phase 2 to Middle Street allegedly in 2025.

I’ve noticed as I’ve driven down the rail line on the West Side not only does the stations practically have no parking I see no active testing of new bus lines and on many stations don’t see staging areas for busses.
I will say that it's nice to see the prep work along Dillingham. I can believe the Phase 2 opening projections at this point as the bulk of the track work is already laid to Middle Street. Much of the remaining work will seem to be some finishing touches and following by the official test period.

Old 05-11-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I will say that it's nice to see the prep work along Dillingham. I can believe the Phase 2 opening projections at this point as the bulk of the track work is already laid to Middle Street. Much of the remaining work will seem to be some finishing touches and following by the official test period.
On the new this morning - final completion on the shortened route not expected for at least 8 more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu