Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:42 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,015 times

Advertisements

Another great set, Cort.

Any of surrounding places like your hometown, Niles or any state park nearby? Just curious, don't go our of your way, esp with gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:49 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Another great set, Cort.

Any of surrounding places like your hometown, Niles or any state park nearby? Just curious, don't go our of your way, esp with gas prices.
That's the plan sometime this summer. I have more of Warren i want to take, plus there are some beautiful old houses in Niles (I lived there for 6 years). I did take some pics of some of the old houses in Cortland........there on here somewhere, just not sure where.........

Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM

5 posts, read 28,436 times
Cortlandgirl79: No...unfortunately we are just on the edge of the shady neighborhoods going on west market street. Plus side we have businesses (1 defunct) on both sides of the home so we aren't in a neighborhood per say. We will be east of the hot dog shoppe, across from the car wash. We also have big dogs and keep to ourselves...

I would love to track down the history on the home we found. It has a great view of the river from many of the windows upstairs. We can also see the park fairly well. Years ago it was probably one of the first homes in that area because the adjacent businesses are mid 1900's or better. The house is sited to take full view of the park, the river, and the railroad across the street. Does the railroad that runs along Market street get much traffic? I spent the better part of several days there, but never heard the train. Would be nice, as I love trains and it is just close enough to not rattle the house (too bad that is!).LOL!!!

I homeschool all my children except the eldest, her choice. She will get the same option there. If Harding High School is too much for her to handle she can join the rest at home. She is pretty obstanant, so my guess is she'll adapt...

Funny you mention over by Trumbull Memorial. We almost got a house over on Charles Avenue, but rethought it after we found the one on market street. They are having a terrible time trying to sell that one. It's owned by hud.

We are thinking by the end of June we will be full timers. We have had a couple of jobs look promising but dh is commited down here through mid June. Then we will blanket the area with his resume, hoping for the best expecting the worst. If he has to drive aways for a job we'll do that too. He works in the print industry so it is a solid field but slow in turn overs for decent jobs. I think after all the bad comments on Warren, it will probably be hard to be worse than portrayed, lol!! I think I fear being harassed by the city worse than the hoodlums. The Ohio homeschool laws are more cumbersome, and the city fees and permits are more prevalent.

Thanks for letting me ramble...
Moos

Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM

5 posts, read 28,436 times
Stephan_K: Sorry about what sounds like some disappointing homes. I sure can relate to your experience. Seems the norm, but when the economy is difficult and people are paying mortgages maintainence along with renovation becomes cost prohibitive.

We really feel blessed. We have lost way more money down here in Atlanta than we will have paid for this house. So recouping investment isn't what we are after. We want a roof over our childrens' heads. Without having a house payment we can do the necessary repairs.

As for the house, new electrical throughout, good newer roof (still slate on turret, I think), newer plumbing, functioning heat, and new windows. Home is also 4 sides brick with minimal wood which has been vinyl sided. Foundation was in decent shape. So it has a lot to work with compared to many of the ones we passed up. Trust me we went through many of them quickly!!! The major detractor for this home is location, I believe. So we will count our blessings and hope for the best, anticipate the worst...
Moos

Old 05-08-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
Cortlandgirl79: No...unfortunately we are just on the edge of the shady neighborhoods going on west market street. Plus side we have businesses (1 defunct) on both sides of the home so we aren't in a neighborhood per say. We will be east of the hot dog shoppe, across from the car wash. We also have big dogs and keep to ourselves...

I would love to track down the history on the home we found. It has a great view of the river from many of the windows upstairs. We can also see the park fairly well. Years ago it was probably one of the first homes in that area because the adjacent businesses are mid 1900's or better. The house is sited to take full view of the park, the river, and the railroad across the street. Does the railroad that runs along Market street get much traffic? I spent the better part of several days there, but never heard the train. Would be nice, as I love trains and it is just close enough to not rattle the house (too bad that is!).LOL!!!

I homeschool all my children except the eldest, her choice. She will get the same option there. If Harding High School is too much for her to handle she can join the rest at home. She is pretty obstanant, so my guess is she'll adapt...

Funny you mention over by Trumbull Memorial. We almost got a house over on Charles Avenue, but rethought it after we found the one on market street. They are having a terrible time trying to sell that one. It's owned by hud.

We are thinking by the end of June we will be full timers. We have had a couple of jobs look promising but dh is commited down here through mid June. Then we will blanket the area with his resume, hoping for the best expecting the worst. If he has to drive aways for a job we'll do that too. He works in the print industry so it is a solid field but slow in turn overs for decent jobs. I think after all the bad comments on Warren, it will probably be hard to be worse than portrayed, lol!! I think I fear being harassed by the city worse than the hoodlums. The Ohio homeschool laws are more cumbersome, and the city fees and permits are more prevalent.

Moos
Well, that definitely isn't the worst area, but it's also not the best. If you are east of the Hot Dog Shoppe I'm assuming you are towards downtown???? Just be careful because there are some shady people walking around that area. Plus, i heard there were some homeless people down by the river on the Market St. side.

As for the Hot Dog Shoppe, oh my god, i love that place!! I just ate there last week! You can't beat the prices or the chili dogs and red pop (you'll have to get used to the pop thing)!

I do remember seeing a really cool house right near there........red brick w/a wood frame front porch, looks like someone was fixing it up and left it??? across from Highland Ave (BTW, don't venture down that road!)???? Not sure if that is your house, but i looked pretty neat.

As for the railroad, i'm not sure if they still run on that line. My dad would know, he's a huge train fan and has a HO scale layout that takes up my parents whole basement. He could tell you what railroad owns that line, where it goes, etc. I know the ore train from Astabula does go to WCI, which is nearby, but the train come from the north, down through Cortland, along Elm Rd., it then goes under 422 and crosses 169 (Niles Rd). I used to hear the train at my house in Cortland, also at my parent's in Bazetta, and now i still hear it on the northeast side of Warren, so i'm guess you will hear it where you are. It usually goes by at night, which could be really annoying if you at too close to the tracks and asleep.

I'm sure your daughter will be fine at Harding, i have some friends that went there and they said it wasn't bad at all. I guess it gets a bad name from many in the suburbs that haven't even gone there, or maybe went there in the 70s like my parents. The new school looks amazing and i know if you are a good student there you will get one of the best educations in the area. They also offer courses that count towards college there, plus they have a brand new swimming pool (most other high schools in the area do not have swimming), and they are updating the sports complex. It's definitely a place you can excel if you are good at sports and academics.

Alright, i guess that is enough for now, if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Cort

Old 05-09-2008, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 5,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moostraks View Post

Moos
Bringing up the issue about city fees and permits is a valid issue. The one thing Warren is not, when it comes to permits and such, business and homeowner friendly.

It appears that the "power" of certain building officials goes to their heads and working "with" the public is a foreign concept.

The Building Department would rather see "historic" homes and buildings torn down rather than come up with ideas to help preserve.

Tristan

Old 05-09-2008, 11:33 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJAG View Post
Bringing up the issue about city fees and permits is a valid issue. The one thing Warren is not, when it comes to permits and such, business and homeowner friendly.

It appears that the "power" of certain building officials goes to their heads and working "with" the public is a foreign concept.

The Building Department would rather see "historic" homes and buildings torn down rather than come up with ideas to help preserve.

Tristan
Absolutely correct ! The City of Warren is the bottom of the barrel, just behind Trumbull County building dept, when it comes to "promoting" business. As things have worsened over the years in the city, the city gov has not adjusted properly to any of the business closings. The cities answer was to find other avenues of revenue instead of properly managing the revenue stream that was coming in. It has gotten so far out of hand, Warren has actually driven business and home owners out of the city.

If you live in Warren and you would like to change your screen door on the front of your house, you need to waist your time first off by going downtown and then pay for a permit to do so...yes a permit to change a stupid screen door! What a joke...That is the cities answer to reduced revenue. More permits and fees.

Take a ride through downtown and just take note of all the for rent and sale signs everywhere. The city has made it very difficult and costly to be involved within its jurisdiction.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 41,011 times
Very nice, thank you for showing a small town/city's better side I am thinking of buying a fixer upper old house here or in Ashtabula or Alliance and get tired of seeing only negative posts about the Warren -Younstown area. Do you have any info on the motel for sale at 4258 youngstown rd, warren. I work in the hospitality industry and would like info about the area, it may currently not be open but when it was what it was like and what sort of reputation it had for guests. Any help is appreciated -SBAYPHILLY-

Old 05-26-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbayphilly View Post
Very nice, thank you for showing a small town/city's better side I am thinking of buying a fixer upper old house here or in Ashtabula or Alliance and get tired of seeing only negative posts about the Warren -Younstown area. Do you have any info on the motel for sale at 4258 youngstown rd, warren. I work in the hospitality industry and would like info about the area, it may currently not be open but when it was what it was like and what sort of reputation it had for guests. Any help is appreciated -SBAYPHILLY-
You're welcome. If you are thinking of purchasing anything in this area i suggest you come and check it out yourself. Warren isn't really bad at all, but the economy has been in decline for several years and we don't have very many jobs anymore. We have a ton of elderly people so when they die their family from out of state has to come and stay at the hotels here. This is the type of customer you would probably be catering to (i guess this thought is a tad morbid, but true). Every summer the area also hosts a pony softball tournament and that clogs up the hotels for a good week or so.

I don't really have any info on that hotel, but i know where it is. Youngstown rd. (or rt 422) used to be a happening place. In recent years a lot of the businesses from 422 have moved to St. Rt. 46 (check a map, also called niles-cortland rd.) The area near 46 caters to Warren's northern suburbs of Howland and Cortland. I think 422 has lost business because Warren and Niles don't have the money that they used to.

Anywho, when most visitors come to the area they stay in the nice new hotels on 46 for the most part (Holiday Inn Express or Fairfield), but these are pretty expensive. The area also has couple of hotels that people stay at on 422, but they are more in the area of 46 and 422.

The hotel you are talking about is near North Road and 422. It's not a bad area and it is close to the eastwood mall as well as eastwood field. I think you might be able to get some travelers on a budget there. Besides being somewhat close to the mall there are a few nice restaurants in the immediate area (Cafe 422, Yomatos, and i believe Sukura). Also in the immediate area is Trumbull County's Time Warner Cable office, a small plaza, and maybe a couple small offices. Oh yeah, across the street is a large cemetary as well as a putt-putt course that looks like it's stuck in the 1960s (it's still fun though, 18 holes).

If you have any more questions let me know.

Cortlandgirl79

Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 AM

As some of you know, the City of Warren is getting a new high school that will be opening in the fall. I was driving down Atlantic St. the other day and saw that they were tearing down the field house (gym). Here's a pic (Mollenkopf Stadium is in the background).

There has been quite a battle going on to save the middle section of the old high school along w/the auditorium. Unfortunately it looks like the old place is coming down, but i guess they are going to save the facade where the pillars are. Pretty sad. Save Warren G. Harding High School, Warren, Ohio (broken link)

Here's a pic of the old Harding High School from photobucket

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio