Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2021, 02:10 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I hit a nerve, I see. Everyone knows you are the biggest Cleveland homer on this forum and it shows in all your posts where you find "facts" to further your political agenda, rather an examination of Ohio's strengths and weaknesses. The topic at hand here is to not compare Indiana to Ohio, there is already another thread in the General Discussions forum. The topic posted by the OP was why Joe Biden did not win Ohio when he did win other Great lakes States that went for Trump before. I then compared Ohio to Indiana as it's voting record is more closely aligning Indiana as a Midwestern Red State, and that can't be denied.

All these other topics you have presented deviate from the initial topic on why Ohio has leaned more red and why Biden lost Ohio. If you take off your rose colored glasses and step out of the Ivory tower into Real Ohio you would see why Ohioans have voted for Trump twice. JOBS. Jobs have been lost for decades. Mahoning county went to Trump this election...let that sink in. Mahoning county, the Mafia and Labor Union capital of Ohio went for a Republican as working class people felt abandoned by Democrats and their policies through the last few decades.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ed/6234140002/

My comments are not ignorant, they are just not your opinions. You have a different political ideology than I, clearly. I have provided facts on what Ohio Republicans have done to help move the State forward and, surprise, no response from anyone. I even asserted that both Political parties are bad (they are), but just as you attach to the Democratic Party, I attach to the Republican Party, the lesser of two evils in my opinion and how their style of government affects my daily life.

Ohio Republicans have invested over 14 Billion dollars into infrastructure in the last seven years across Ohio
http://omlohio.org/DocumentCenter/Vi...ady-compressed

Ohio Republicans have froze public University/College tuition rates and overall student costs by five percent. In addition, they have expanded the Ohio College Opportunity Grant through senate legislation.

https://www.dispatch.com/article/201...NEWS/306089721

Ohio Republicans have reduced the overall tax burden for Ohioans for years. In addition, the Ohio sales tax Holiday for Back To School shopping was continued and expanded, helping low income families the most. Republicans also passed the "Rural Jobs Act" increasing jobs in rural areas by incentivizing job creation and economic development in underserved rural areas of Ohio. (Something Democratic Leaders have abandoned).
https://trackbill.com/bill/ohio-hous...s-act/1194083/

Ohio Republicans have been at the forefront of the Ohio Opioid Addiction crisis, fighting fentanyl distribution. In addition, passed legislation requiring stringent background checks for Registered Pharmacy Techs that contributed to more than a 1/3 of all drug theft cases investigated by the Ohio Board of Pharmacy.

https://ohiogop.org/congressman-bill...ioid-epidemic/

Here is a USA Today link that details States with the best and worst Economies. Ohio was 35 out of 50, Indiana was 32...TN and FL, and most other States were far better, economically, than Ohio.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ies/113533362/

Not sure why you are bringing up Covid in this topic, especially the laughable comparison to Australia, an Island nation significantly smaller in population and area to the 50 United States. Comparing our Covid response to Australia is apples and oranges as us common folks say.

Sadly, Politics are what everyone seems to care about these days. I simply gave my opinion on why Ohio is now a Red State and will be for years to come. I hope you enjoy the Republican Majority that will fix this broken state.
The GOP majority is continuing to ruin this state...killing the High speed 3C rail corridor...not investing in mass transit in the cities...making it harder and harder for low income women and women from rural areas to have an abortion...ripping off taxpayers to bail out failed coal and nuclear power plants instead of moving us to green energy...still not fixing school funding even though the supreme court of ohio ruled the way we fund schools unconstitutional 25 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 12:41 AM

149 posts, read 175,546 times
[quote=ohioaninsc;60380824]The GOP majority is continuing to ruin this state...killing the High speed 3C rail corridor...not investing in mass transit in the cities...making it harder and harder for low income women and women from rural areas to have an abortion...ripping off taxpayers to bail out failed coal and nuclear power plants instead of moving us to green energy...still not fixing school funding even though the supreme court of ohio ruled the way we fund schools unconstitutional 25 years ago.[/QUOTe

Your values are opposite of mine... I want the opposite of what you want... I hear you though.... But our values will never mingle.. I think the red states will be more and more attractive for "red" people, and the blue states - for blue... Too much division... People will start flocking with the birds of the same feather....Ohio will soon see huge migration influx, including people like us ... like we see here in Idaho huge influx of "red" Californians...

Old 02-12-2021, 01:42 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
The GOP majority is continuing to ruin this state...killing the High speed 3C rail corridor...not investing in mass transit in the cities...making it harder and harder for low income women and women from rural areas to have an abortion...ripping off taxpayers to bail out failed coal and nuclear power plants instead of moving us to green energy...still not fixing school funding even though the supreme court of ohio ruled the way we fund schools unconstitutional 25 years ago.

Omg....I just moved from Chicago to get away from this idiocy. Move to Cook County and enjoy some government overlords.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:06 AM

811 posts, read 889,202 times
Quote:
Sounds like California or New York may better align with your values. Ohio is a conservative state, always has been. Many Ohio Democrats are/were the blue collar, labor party Democrats that have disappeared in Modern politics. Many of these former Democrats now vote Republican, as noted in Ohio's recent voting trends. Places like Mahoning County who voted blue for decades have now turned red. It is an interesting phenomenon that is occurring across Appalachia and the Rust Belt, which Ohio is a part of.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:15 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
[quote=Natalijaasbj;60383902]
Quote:
The GOP majority is continuing to ruin this state...killing the High speed 3C rail corridor...not investing in mass transit in the cities...making it harder and harder for low income women and women from rural areas to have an abortion...ripping off taxpayers to bail out failed coal and nuclear power plants instead of moving us to green energy...still not fixing school funding even though the supreme court of ohio ruled the way we fund schools unconstitutional 25 years ago.[/QUOTe

Your values are opposite of mine... I want the opposite of what you want... I hear you though.... But our values will never mingle.. I think the red states will be more and more attractive for "red" people, and the blue states - for blue... Too much division... People will start flocking with the birds of the same feather....Ohio will soon see huge migration influx, including people like us ... like we see here in Idaho huge influx of "red" Californians...

you don't want passenger rail?

You want for the US to have third world infrastructure while red china blows us away?

Might as well give China space too. Cut the space program!

MAGA!

Old 02-16-2021, 01:39 AM

2,504 posts, read 3,377,650 times
The United States dominates the world in the only rail that counts.... Freight trains.

Putting light weight humans on dedicated tracks...which is what is done in densely populated Europe and Asia is an environmental waste. Rail should only be used for the densest heaviest loads...as occurs in the US. Research it. High-speed passenger rail in the US would be a waste. Just keep hauling steel and coal by rail.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:51 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,478,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
The United States dominates the world in the only rail that counts.... Freight trains.

Putting light weight humans on dedicated tracks...which is what is done in densely populated Europe and Asia is an environmental waste. Rail should only be used for the densest heaviest loads...as occurs in the US. Research it. High-speed passenger rail in the US would be a waste. Just keep hauling steel and coal by rail.

coal plants are closing and coal miners are becoming unemployed. MAGA couldn't even save coal.

high-speed passenger rail in the US is great. I rode the acela and it was pretty fast. This needs to be expanded especially in the midwest. The midwest is gutted and lacks infrastructure. No one can get anywhere unless they have a car.

Old 02-16-2021, 10:36 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
coal plants are closing and coal miners are becoming unemployed. MAGA couldn't even save coal.

high-speed passenger rail in the US is great. I rode the acela and it was pretty fast. This needs to be expanded especially in the midwest. The midwest is gutted and lacks infrastructure. No one can get anywhere unless they have a car.
I totally agree, but I'd be happy with a robust network of regular passenger rail.

Old 02-18-2021, 10:44 PM

1,320 posts, read 868,175 times
Quote:
ripping off taxpayers to bail out failed coal and nuclear power plants instead of moving us to green energy...
Nuclear energy is green energy. (I agree with the rest of your points though.)

Old 02-19-2021, 02:45 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Sounds like California or New York may better align with your values. Ohio is a conservative state, always has been. Many Ohio Democrats are/were the blue collar, labor party Democrats that have disappeared in Modern politics. Many of these former Democrats now vote Republican, as noted in Ohio's recent voting trends. Places like Mahoning County who voted blue for decades have now turned red. It is an interesting phenomenon that is occurring across Appalachia and the Rust Belt, which Ohio is a part of.
That's not true. Ohio has produced Dennis Kucinich, Howard Metzenbaum, Sherrod Brown among others. It's been the most purple state in the country up until recently. Losing many of its best & brightest to the rest of the country, leaving behind the super-religious and lesser-educate (trying to figure out where their factory jobs went) who are more prone to (populist) conspiracy theories and less able to tell truth from fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio