Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:54 PM

69 posts, read 146,117 times

Advertisements

I'm still trying to get my mind around CBUS being the most diverse demographically in the state (rather than Cleveland).

Rhetorical question for CBUS fans -- How does one measure the progressiveness of your city? By the willingness to annex past logical municipal boundaries? By lacking enough density and money to support a new rapid transit initiative? By overstating the importance of specific demos that are actually just proportional for a city of this size?

Where does the magic come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,719,836 times
Come on kids ...

If you know your city is the sh*t, you won't feel like you have to "defend" it ... No one in NYC is going to argue with you as to why it's "better" than Memphis, TN ... why would it have to - especially if it's the truth.

INFERIORITY COMPLEX

1: an acute sense of personal inferiority often resulting either in timidity or through overcompensation in exaggerated aggressiveness

2: a collective sense of cultural, regional, or national inferiority

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 AM

249 posts, read 609,801 times
Columbus was just recently named as the Fastest growing city last week. I believe it came in at 8th. So annexation has nothing to do with it.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:01 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,214,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
Columbus was just recently named as the Fastest growing city last week. I believe it came in at 8th. So annexation has nothing to do with it.
Source? I just saw that list and C-Bus was not on it. Also, annexing has everthing to do with the recent rise of the Columbus city population. It's pre-annex population based on the 1950 boundary has lost people just like every other city in Ohio. The difference is that most of these other cities were not able to annex because the surrounding communities were already established.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/peterbrat...umbus_ohio.pdf

I root for Columbus because I'm an Ohio native (wish they would build that trolley on High Street!), but this thread just reinforces my experiences that people from Columbus have an overinflated view of their city. Nobody outside of Ohio thinks much of Columbus other than Ohio State. Furthermore, while its growth is good for Ohio, it is not that impressive compared to many southern and western metro areas.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:21 AM

Forbes.com was the source

Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM

The Fastest-Growing Cities In The U.S. - Forbes.com

Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
After moving away from Columbus for the past 6 years and having since returned, Columbus is a ghost town.

I was downtown yesterday at around 10:15am and it was vacant. I was thinking, there is no way I can live here long term. It was depressing to say the least.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:34 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Source? I just saw that list and C-Bus was not on it. Also, annexing has everthing to do with the recent rise of the Columbus city population. It's pre-annex population based on the 1950 boundary has lost people just like every other city in Ohio. The difference is that most of these other cities were not able to annex because the surrounding communities were already established.

http://sitemaker.umich.edu/peterbrat...umbus_ohio.pdf

I root for Columbus because I'm an Ohio native (wish they would build that trolley on High Street!), but this thread just reinforces my experiences that people from Columbus have an overinflated view of their city. Nobody outside of Ohio thinks much of Columbus other than Ohio State. Furthermore, while its growth is good for Ohio, it is not that impressive compared to many southern and western metro areas.
I agree 100%, people that live in Columbus think nothing exists outside of Franklin County. Many people there have never even been to Ctown or Cincy or if they have they look down their noses at those cities because not everything is new there, it's sooo annoying.

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Alot of people here such as myself are transplants to Ohio and Franklin county so your statement about never leaving Franklin County is inaccurate.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:03 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
I didnt' say people never leave there, i'm just saying a lot of people from Columbus have never been to Cincy or Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio