Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:06 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times

Advertisements

Cle440, in the examples you posted ... they could apply to pretty much all 3 of the big 3 C's...

Did I think about creating a similar list that you just provided? Sure, it crossed my mind.

The reason I didn't, is because I travel too much. When visiting Toronto, Chicago, Manhattan, etc ... Ask yourself, how does Cleveland and Toronto compare? How does Atlanta and Cincinnati compare? How does New York and Columbus compare?

Nothing. NOTHING in Ohio comes close, period.

One city is in a free-fall.
One city is on life support.
And the other is leading in a marathon race, but is only on mile marker 5.

Let's push the naiveness aside and not fool ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,344 times
This is sort of silly. People across the country(ahem, Charles Barkley) talk about Cleveland as if it will never recover. The truth is, it already is recovering. The rise and fall of cities happens in waves. Superpowers like New York and LA may stay atop for longer, but relatively smaller cities like Cleveland and Atlanta will see high and low points over and over. Right now, the Sun Belt is seeing a high point, and the Midwest is seeing a "low". Almost none of those cities(Cleveland, Houston, Cincy, Atlanta, Raleigh, Indianapolis, etc) stand much of a chance at becoming a global city, but they will become powerful and then decline.

As we speak, Cleveland is picking up the pieces that the manufacturing industry's absence has left behind, and quickly diversifying the economy. Telecommunication companies, the Health Industry, and all sorts of research are quickly taking root in Cleveland. As these different industries emerge, and as Cleveland's low cost of living stays put, you'll see people moving back in due time. It's just up to the people to quit voting in a bunch of corrupt scumbags into office. We need people with the right mindset, who want to bring jobs here.

The petition to stop the piping of freshwater from the great lakes was a start...but incentives must be created. With the right politics, Ohio as a whole could see a rebirth a lot earlier than others think.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:36 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrconfusion87 View Post
Just curious what you think on this issue...

Here's a list of characteristics as defined by the Wikipedia article on Global City (Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The characteristics sometimes chosen includeDebate away!

Cleveland for sure. Largest percentage of foriegn born citizens in the state. Large ethnic communities in the city ie: Irish, Italian, Chinese, Hungarian, Polish, Puerto Rican, Middle Eastern, Romanian, Albanian, etc. We do have a Little Italy and Chinatown, among other ethnic neighborhoods.

John Hopkins International Airport is the busiest in the state of Ohio. One of the best rated public transit systems in the nation (RTA).

Cleveland news stations are known for being top notch.

Cleveland has many museums which include:

Rock and Roll HOF Museum
Cleveland Museum of Natural History
William G Mather Museum
The Children's Museum
Great Lake's Science Center
Cleveland Museum of Art
Western Reserve Historical Society

Theatres include:

Playhouse Square http://www.playhousesquare.com/
Agora
Just to name a couple.

The Cleveland Orchestra is one of the best in the world.

The Plain Dealer is ranked the in the top 25 for best newspapers in the United States (higher than any other in Ohio with a circulation nearly double the Enquirer). -

In terms of sports, Cleveland has the Browns, Indians, Cavs, and numerous other smaller level sports teams in the pro/amateur level.

If you've traveled the US or the world, when Ohio comes to mind, the first city people mention is Cleveland. Most people I met in Europe and abroad knew of Cleveland... yet very few knew about Columbus.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:46 PM

2,204 posts, read 6,716,959 times
I guess a good question to ask is, what are the world cities that are located in the U.S.?

I'll give you a clue ... there are 6.

Old 06-07-2009, 01:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post
I guess a good question to ask is, what are the world cities that are located in the U.S.?

hmm.. Chicago, NYC, L.A., Miami, Atlanta? Can't think of who would be the 6th.

Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,238 times
I would guess NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, San Francisco, and one of the following- Boston, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas/Ft Worth, or Philadelphia. I know I hedged a little. If really pressed I would put Houston in the 6th spot based on the huge number of internationally significant corporations based there.

My rankings for US Cities:
1. NYC - Economic center of the world. Arguably the arts capital of the world (London and Paris are also possible).
2. DC - Political center of the world.
3. Chicago - Huge economy. Melting pot of cultures. Transportation hub.
4. LA - Huge population. Massive influence in central america. Television and movie leader of the world.
5. San Fransisco/Bay Area - Huge economy with major Asian influence. Financial player around world.
6. Houston - Energy.

If Atlanta hasn't already become a world city then it will very soon. It is developing into the economic center of the Southeast much like Chicago developed as the economic center of the Midwest 100 years ago. As the SE continues to grow economically atlanta's inlfuence will continue to grow.

Last edited by Hey_Hey; 06-07-2009 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,238 times
I think Cleveland is the closest thing ohio has to a global city, although it is generally losing ground to other cities in importance. 25 years ago it was clearly ahead of cities like atlanta, phoenix, charlotte, and nashville. Now atlanta and phoenix have definitely surpassed it while charlotte and nashville are best described as peer cities.

I'm going to disagree with most here and say that cincinnati actually is the #2 city in terms of global importance with #3 being Columbus. Cincinatti is home to several fortune 500 companies, has a larger international airport (granted, with a very uncertain future), and has a larger population.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:38 PM

843 posts, read 1,297,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Apparently folks around the world remember the 1904 Olympic Games!
I didn't say anything about the 1904 Olympic Games.

I said the only 3 Midwestern cities around the world that people generally know are St. Louis, Chicago and Detroit.

Last edited by NorthPoleMarathoner; 06-07-2009 at 05:46 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy-rise View Post
i guess a good question to ask is, what are the world cities that are located in the u.s.?

I'll give you a clue ... There are 6.
n

Old 06-07-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy-Rise View Post

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Detroit and Houston.

You could probably make a case for Dallas and/or Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio