Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:46 PM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times

Advertisements

Hmmm, Ive always thought of it as a southern state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 11:42 PM

31 posts, read 155,305 times
Default Is this map showing the current regions?

I know this is from wikipedia, but this has been updated from Dec. 2009:
File:U.S. Census Bureau Regions.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The black and white one that everyone sees here was developed in 1990:
http://www.eslpod.com/eslpod_blog/wp..._Divisions.png

Old 09-13-2010, 08:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 115db View Post
Hmmm, Ive always thought of it as a southern state?
Is it below the Mason-Dixon Line?

Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archer_22 View Post
I'm from Tulsa and have always wondered this. Most people here have the regular, or no-accent accent and when people move to Tulsa that do have a southern type of accent, it's usually because they're from Texas or Arkansas, but mostly Texas. Same with Oklahoma City; I used to visit that place a lot and have rarely heard a "ya'll" from anyone, but then again, I haven't met everyone who lives in Oklahoma. I also saw that somebody wrote that we eat "grits" in Oklahoma. Since when? I have never heard of anyone eating such a food here. When I think of grits, I think of Alabama or Georgia (and sometimes the movie My Cousin Vinny lol), but definitely NOT Oklahoma. When it comes to religion, I've noticed that yes, we're in the bible belt, but then again so are Missouri, Kansas, and southern parts of Illinois and Indiana. I know that a lot of this state is southern Baptist but there are also about 5,000 Jews, 6,000 Muslims, 13% Catholic, and other religions like Wicca, Unitarian, and New Age.

Geographically speaking, we're in the central plains/heartland region, west of the Mississippi River, north of Texas, and even have Oklahoma's 7th largest city named Midwest City. Wouldn't we technically qualify as a midwest state right there?

Here are some sites that include it as a midwest state:
Little Feat - Point Of Contact - Eastern Midwest Region
http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...ap-midwest.jpg
Dahlsten Driver Opportunities (http://www.dahlsten.com/driveropportunities.htm - broken link)
Midwest
NFFS MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY (http://www.nffs.org/mem-directory-midwest.html - broken link)
Film in America -- Filming Locations for TV and Movies in the United States -- Maps and Regions

Discuss....
I have always considered Oklahoma western. Mostly because of so many cowboys and Native Americans I think. Also, it was considered the "last frontier" back in the old "Oklahoma Land-Grab" days, if I am not mistaken.

I don't think of it as being southern or midwestern at all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,985,416 times
I think we should try to be more pacific northwest.......just a few mountains and some cold coast line and we would be set.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:02 AM

533 posts, read 1,711,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I think we should try to be more pacific northwest.......just a few mountains and some cold coast line and we would be set.
This whole thread is far too much two dimensional. We need to be thinking more three dimensional or maybe even four dimensional.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:58 PM

30 posts, read 97,327 times
I was born and raised in OK. The majority of my time in OK was spent in a small town in central OK with approximately 300 people. I had the worst accent as a child (I've since toned it down a little to avoid the southern accent=stupid correlation). Okies absolutely have an accent. I could peg it anywhere. It's a fairly strong one too. We did use lots of words such as "fixin'" and "y'all". I love my state and miss is so much. Anyway...

As far as the southern vs midwestern argument...when my husband really wants to goad me he calls me a midwesterner (he's a Texan). We've had this exact conversation before. Never, would I or any other Okie I know, identify ourselves as midwesterners. I would say, with absolutely nothing to back this up (just my feeling), that Oklahoma is a great mix of the south and the west. It's its own special little place.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,765,734 times
After reading all these posts, I'm still thinking about the OP's comment about people not saying "y'all". I've been thinking about everyone I know that is a native Okie, and all of them, from 18-80 says it. No, I'm not a native, I'm a Texan transplant. Most of my neighbors are natives and they say it. Most of my kids friends are natives and they say it. I just am shocked that the OP doesn't know anyone that says it. I have a son that is in college at the University of Arkansas Fayettevile (what is that, 20 miles across the state line?), and they say it there. I have trouble believing Tulsa is this little microcosm of Midwesterners sandwiched between all the rest of us y'all sayers.

And yes, all the native Okies I know have an accent. It's kind of a cross between Southern and Texan. In some, its not particularly strong, then in some it's very strong.

Oh, and even this native Texan does say "you guys" sometimes.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:24 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
After reading all these posts, I'm still thinking about the OP's comment about people not saying "y'all". I've been thinking about everyone I know that is a native Okie, and all of them, from 18-80 says it. No, I'm not a native, I'm a Texan transplant. Most of my neighbors are natives and they say it. Most of my kids friends are natives and they say it. I just am shocked that the OP doesn't know anyone that says it. I have a son that is in college at the University of Arkansas Fayettevile (what is that, 20 miles across the state line?), and they say it there. I have trouble believing Tulsa is this little microcosm of Midwesterners sandwiched between all the rest of us y'all sayers.

And yes, all the native Okies I know have an accent. It's kind of a cross between Southern and Texan. In some, its not particularly strong, then in some it's very strong.

Oh, and even this native Texan does say "you guys" sometimes.
I'm in Tulsa, I hardly ever hear it. It's not common.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:44 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
I'm in Tulsa, I hardly ever hear it. It's not common.
Dang! Really? Ya'll must be a bunch of foreigners or something.

IMO, there will always be a huge difference between rural and small town Oklahoma and "the city" or Tulsa. Even though there are a lot of country folks who move to the city for jobs, etc, and vice versa~ lots of city people have folks/grandparents still living in the country. And the more you are away from any slang/dialect, the less you will use it.

I have never perceived OK as midwestern or southern. bleech!! Bite your tongue!!

Those of us who have multiple generations still living in the country grow up hearing "ya'll". That's just the way people speak out in the country where my people are from. (thankfully)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma