Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2016, 09:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
He was from Charlottesville. Faculty at UVa

The point being, to a southerner, Oklahoma might seem "Midwestern". To a Midwesterner, Oklahoma would probably seem pretty southern.

Good stuff.

Kinda funny because the Southernness of Virginia is argued about a whole lot more than Oklahoma over on the General Forum due to the excessive transplantation, especially in NOVA, and even now southern Virginia extending into the Raleigh/Durham of North Carolina.

Many, if not most, Deep South Purists would look at that professor from Charlottesville and laugh at him for asserting Virginia as Southern. Apart from the historical aspect, not a lot of Southernness left there and it's fading even more with every passing year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Whatever.......................................... ......................

I'm with Rubi, Oklahoma is the Southwest. It's a whole lot West and it's pretty Southern. One is very safe in calling OK the Southwest because of the many educational and official regional maps that do so.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:27 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomagirl74 View Post
I'm from Tulsa and I consider myself southern. Maybe that's because my parents and grandparents were from deeper parts of the south and my upbringing was steeped in southern tradition. Regardless, I still consider the eastern part of Oklahoma to be southern. Western, not so much. Its more southwest in climate and culture.
My mom's side of the family originated in LeFlore County, basically in and around Monroe and Poteau. And that area definitely has a Southern feel: the accent, the food, the culture, etc.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:33 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post

I'm with Rubi, Oklahoma is the Southwest. It's a whole lot West and it's pretty Southern. One is very safe in calling OK the Southwest because of the many educational and official regional maps that do so.
Actually, the majority of the state of Oklahoma lies closer to the East Coast than to the West Coast. No way is Oklahoma a part of the West. South Central, yes.

Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Actually, the majority of the state of Oklahoma lies closer to the East Coast than to the West Coast. No way is Oklahoma a part of the West. South Central, yes.
I'm with ya.

I use "Southwest" in the sense of a mediated position as in SOUTHwest (Oklahoma/Texas/Western Arkansas) and SouthWEST (New Mexico and Arizona). The SOUTHwest is a derivative of the South but definitely with some Western (think ol' Southwest ranching and AG culture thrown in). Some would say "Western South" but, while accurate, doesn't really roll off the tongue (or mind) in the same way as calling Oklahoma part of the "West South Central," which it technically is.

BTW, I love Leflore County. I'm an old Lake Bum. I've spent a lot of time at Lake Kerr, which is huge, and Lake Wister, which is beautiful.

Old 04-17-2016, 06:34 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Whatever.......................................... ......................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ibWqDWGcBM

Old 04-18-2016, 05:57 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNEFoL8nQHE

Old 04-18-2016, 10:53 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swake View Post
Good lord, OU left the Southwest Conference after just four years for what would become the Midwestern Big 8 in 1919.

None of Oklahoma’s cities of any size even existed during the civil war.

Google seems to think that Oklahoma is the Midwest:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...off&q=oklahoma

FiveThirtyEight did surveys of thousands of people in the south and Midwest that studied this very question, where is the south and where is the Midwest and Oklahoma was solidly more Midwest than Southern

Which States Are in the Midwest? | FiveThirtyEight

Which States Are in the South? | FiveThirtyEight

Tulsans usually refer to the city as being in the Midwest, from the local TV stations to the newspaper they all always refer to Tulsa being in the Midwest. Local weather people always refer to Tulsa as Midwest.

Local bands like Midwest Kings seem to think they are from the Midwest. Local festivals are referred to as being in the Midwest. From the Midwest Harp Festival to the I AM Festival billed as the largest Yoga festival in the Midwest to the Global Sporting Show, billed as the largest hunting show in the Midwest.

I agree Oklahoma City is more torn, and probably mostly considers itself to be Southwestern like Dallas but Tulsa is solidly Midwestern. I’m not saying that no one in Oklahoma doesn’t think of themselves as Southern. I’m sure most people in Southeast Oklahoma do. But the idea that no one thinks of Oklahoma as being in the Midwest or really that very many at all think of Oklahoma as being Southern. Oklahoma is split between Southwestern and Midwestern with a little bit of Southern mixed in. We are in the middle.
The media in Tulsa refers to us as the Midwest. Jim Glover Chevy claims to be one of the biggest Chevy dealerships in the Midwest. One of our hospitals was advertising they had one of the best heart hospitals in the midwest. It seems every time we have an event at the fairgrounds its advertised as the biggest, greatest, most exciting events in the Midwest. the last bass master championships held in Tulsa, they bragged about Grand Lake as being one of the best bass fishing lakes in the Midwest. Our local weather meteorologist constantly refers to us as being in the Midwest.

I very rarely here us called Southern.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,618 times
South by Midwest: Or, Where is Oklahoma? | This Land Press - Made by You and Me

Old 04-21-2016, 03:00 PM

143 posts, read 193,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
My mom's side of the family originated in LeFlore County, basically in and around Monroe and Poteau. And that area definitely has a Southern feel: the accent, the food, the culture, etc.

My mom was born in Siloam Springs, AR but raised there and then in Ringling, Ok. Her parents, however were born and raised for the most part in southern Alabama. Does not get much more southern that that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma