Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times

Advertisements

cfindley, You really do sound unhappy and Oklahoma isn't for everyone. But I was born in CA and lived there until we moved here 4 years ago... for us it was a dream come true. California's weather for us consisted of fog all winter and unbearable heat in the summer.

The air quality was so bad that the view of the Sierra Nevada Mountains that I grew up with was nothing but a distant memory... 1 out of 4 children in our area were on some form of asthma medication because they couldn't breathe.

Now we are here... The skies are blue, I can stand on a small hill and see forever. The wind blows, it hails, it rains, it snows, it is glorious!!

I'm not sure where you are in OK that Ponca City would be "a little bigger" and the people don't care... but I have a suspicion.

We live in Duncan... I have neighbors who bring over goodies and extras that they want to share... If we are working on a project in the yard they will grab a shovel and join in and we do the same for them.

Our Daughter works at a local store and quite a few of our local PD go there for gas and coffee... when she had her baby and they found out she was staying here for a few days, a couple of them stopped by just to see the baby and wish her well.

I could go on and on... but I'm not trying to change your mind or convince you that one part of Ok is better than another because we have found the same smiling faces and helpful nature everywhere we have been in OK.

Dallas/Ft. Worth IS beautiful if that is what you are looking for... but for us Duncan, OK is a perfect *fit*.

I hope you are able to sell you property and find your "Bliss" ... we did.

And for what it's worth, we visited Chicago a few years back and had a wonderful time!! But that (as they say) is another story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
It's called a "Culture shock" I'm still going through it. It is hard when all if your friends are left behind, so far the only friends I've made is here on this forum, and it's been 8 months now.
It is hard when you are on your own, and your line of work doesn't help much.

What do you prefer?? Chinese food or Mexican?? Pick a day and we'll get together! Hubby says "it's about time". Our treat... DM me with the details and we will work it out.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:21 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
LR, so your daughter works at the Conoco station? Which counter person is it? I've probably met her

I never did like the big Cities or big city life. The only time I enjoy seeing them is when I'm standing on the mountain at night looking down on the lights .
I mentioned before that I was raised on a dairy farm, I guess the country has never left me. I've been to Chicago, and I have a baby sisiter that lives there right now. Myself I really don't care for it. But, like I've said, that goes for for pretty much all big cities.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRobyn View Post
It is hard when you are on your own, and your line of work doesn't help much.

What do you prefer?? Chinese food or Mexican?? Pick a day and we'll get together! Hubby says "it's about time". Our treat... DM me with the details and we will work it out.
Thank You LadyRobyn
I really appreciate that, let me think about for while.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
LR, so your daughter works at the Conoco station? Which counter person is it? I've probably met her
You mean the Chisholm Corner/Conoco on chestnut right?? She works for a different one... across from the hospital on Elk. I'm up at the one on chestnut almost every day. I know the manager, she used to work with our daughter. Now we have 'fresh pizza' !!

I wonder how many times WE have crossed paths...

Old 03-06-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
You mean the Chisholm Corner/Conoco on chestnut right?? She works for a different one... across from the hospital on Elk. I'm up at the one on chestnut almost every day. I know the manager, she used to work with our daughter. Now we have 'fresh pizza' !!

Quote:
I wonder how many times WE have crossed paths...
I've thought about that myself. But I don't go there that often.(I use to) For that matter, I don't go much of anywhere too often,,,,,just to save gas.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I never did like the big Cities or big city life. The only time I enjoy seeing them is when I'm standing on the mountain at night looking down on the lights .
Oooh! Have you driven out past Happy Hill and looked back at Duncan at night?? (go east on chestnut till it starts to curve, turn around and come back) Just as you top a small rise you can see the lights of Duncan! Not like the mountains of CA, but it is really pretty.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Oooh! Have you driven out past Happy Hill and looked back at Duncan at night?? (go east on chestnut till it starts to curve, turn around and come back) Just as you top a small rise you can see the lights of Duncan! Not like the mountains of CA, but it is really pretty.
I was just out there tuesday.I remember passing Happy Hill. There was a dead armadillo right there in the road. I took a drive out to Duncan lake.
Some night I'll do that

Old 03-06-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Hey,,,,that could be a song

Old 03-07-2008, 08:33 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Quote:
I've thought about that myself. But I don't go there that often.(I use to) For that matter, I don't go much of anywhere too often,,,,,just to save gas.
You need to get out more. Try joining an organization or taking a class somewhere. Sometimes I think we depend too much on our computer for things that should be done face to face. Is there a diner or somewhere like that, where you could hang out on Saturday morning and meet people? How about a church -- if that is your inclination. Making friends will make your adjustment much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma