Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM

374 posts, read 806,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
have you even seen the "King of the Hill" episode where they decided to join one of these huge mega churches? It's very funny!
People like you have been saying that for years....yet they continue to build more Churches in Oklahoma. Twenty seven new Churches were built in OKC last year.

It's also interesting how you proclaim a decline in Church goers as a positive thing. Almost like you see that as a victory. I wondered where they three radical liberals in Oklahoma hung out. Now I see it's right here on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspecial View Post
People like you have been saying that for years....yet they continue to build more Churches in Oklahoma. Twenty seven new Churches were built in OKC last year.

It's also interesting how you proclaim a decline in Church goers as a positive thing. Almost like you see that as a victory. I wondered where they three radical liberals in Oklahoma hung out. Now I see it's right here on this forum.
John, folks like you who keep using their religion as a weapon, are the same folks who are driving people from God.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,251,576 times
Quote:

The 2010 census and Oklahoma Baptists: some lessons :: Baptist Messenger of Oklahoma

Old 04-24-2013, 04:54 PM

You'll be dead and gone before there is any secular liberal utopia in Oklahoma. Let go of your fear of God

Old 04-24-2013, 06:27 PM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:

You'll be dead and gone before there is any secular liberal utopia in Oklahoma. Let go of your fear of God
There is a certain irony (considering your love for the stars and bars) that essentially the ONLY reason there is a "Southern" Baptist denomination is that the Baptists in the south were staunch defenders of slavery while their northern counterparts were staunchly against slavery.

On January 27, 1861, before a standing room only audience Ebenezer W. Warren, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Macon, Georgia, delivered a sermon entitled “Scriptural Vindication of Slavery,” here partially quoted:

“Slavery forms a vital element of the Divine Revelation to man. Its institution, regulation, and perpetuity, constitute a part of many of the books of the Bible …. The public mind needs enlightening from the sacred teachings of inspiration on this subject …. We of the South have been passive, hoping the storm would subside …. Our passiveness has been our sin. We have not come to the vindication of God and of truth, as duty demanded …. it is necessary for ministers of the gospel … to teach slavery from the pulpit, as it was taught by the holy men of old, who spake as moved by the holy Spirit …. Both Christianity and Slavery are from heaven; both are blessings to humanity; both are to be perpetuated to the end of time …. Because Slavery is right; and because the condition of the slaves affords them all those privileges which would prove substantial blessings to them; and, too, because their Maker has decreed their bondage, and has given them, as a race, capacities and aspirations suited alone to this condition of life ….”

Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
have you even seen the "King of the Hill" episode where they decided to join one of these huge mega churches? It's very funny!
I loved that episode! Really funny!

My view of Oklahoma might be skewed because everyone I know who was from there was some type of a Pentecostal and either went to ORU or Southwestern Bible College or another Pentecostal type university.

It sure must be the center of the Bible belt! Never saw so many churches as I did there. Lots of Baptists there too.

Mostly everyone was quite friendly, though. Even when they found out I was from New York! Nice people.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I loved that episode! Really funny!

My view of Oklahoma might be skewed because everyone I know who was from there was some type of a Pentecostal and either went to ORU or Southwestern Bible College or another Pentecostal type university.

It sure must be the center of the Bible belt! Never saw so many churches as I did there. Lots of Baptists there too.

Mostly everyone was quite friendly, though. Even when they found out I was from New York! Nice people.
Interesting. I personally do not know any Pentecostal people, nor do I know anyone who attended any of those types of universities or colleges. I know quite a few Baptists, but they do not push their beliefs on anyone. I personally am a Christian, but I'm not a member of any of those types of churches. I belong to a much more liberal, it's between you and God, think for yourself denomination.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There is a certain irony (considering your love for the stars and bars) that essentially the ONLY reason there is a "Southern" Baptist denomination is that the Baptists in the south were staunch defenders of slavery while their northern counterparts were staunchly against slavery.

On January 27, 1861, before a standing room only audience Ebenezer W. Warren, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Macon, Georgia, delivered a sermon entitled “Scriptural Vindication of Slavery,” here partially quoted:

“Slavery forms a vital element of the Divine Revelation to man. Its institution, regulation, and perpetuity, constitute a part of many of the books of the Bible …. The public mind needs enlightening from the sacred teachings of inspiration on this subject …. We of the South have been passive, hoping the storm would subside …. Our passiveness has been our sin. We have not come to the vindication of God and of truth, as duty demanded …. it is necessary for ministers of the gospel … to teach slavery from the pulpit, as it was taught by the holy men of old, who spake as moved by the holy Spirit …. Both Christianity and Slavery are from heaven; both are blessings to humanity; both are to be perpetuated to the end of time …. Because Slavery is right; and because the condition of the slaves affords them all those privileges which would prove substantial blessings to them; and, too, because their Maker has decreed their bondage, and has given them, as a race, capacities and aspirations suited alone to this condition of life ….”

You sound extremely terrified of people of faith. Your outrageous correlation between religion and slavery demonstrates that fear quite well.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,224,099 times
You really should research the origins the "Southern Baptist Convention" and how it split from the northern Baptist churches in the middle the 19th century. Even the SBC finally apologized in 1995 for its former support of slavery and segregation.

It's kinda sad that it took them until 1995, but at least it happened.

Old 04-27-2013, 05:59 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
You sound extremely terrified of people of faith. Your outrageous correlation between religion and slavery demonstrates that fear quite well.
He's showing fear? No, he's making a point. For some reason (fear of history?) you completely ignored that point and called him "terrified." How bizarre.

I have no problem with religious people who are good, kind people. Alas, too many of them aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma