Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 AM

1,989 posts, read 4,405,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
Okay, Computer Guy, I found just where you have to live, otherwise you may miss your State. It is just as someone here said, Quachita Moutains. Find a town near it, and then you will have Ft. Smith, AR as your biggest city.

Ouachita Mountains trip Photo Gallery by Mark at pbase.com

This is in the Southeastern part of Oklahoma, and if you live near the mountains you won't have tornadoes, but get very close to them or find a town that isn't flat. Hmmm, is that possible? Perhaps you can't live in the mountains, all parks. You will have ticks and mosquitoes though.
Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to the list of places to research...
Although, I must say that AR isn't for me, regardless of how pretty or friendly it may be. (No offense meant to anyone.)

Ticks are everywhere and the mosquito is our state bird, so I don't suppose that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 08:43 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,942,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComputerGuy View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'll add it to the list of places to research...
Although, I must say that AR isn't for me, regardless of how pretty or friendly it may be. (No offense meant to anyone.)

Ticks are everywhere and the mosquito is our state bird, so I don't suppose that would be a deal breaker.

Thanks,

M.
The Ouachita Mountains cover both Oklahoma and Arkansas Computerguy. You can live in the Quachita Mountains and still be in Oklahoma. The only problem out there is that broadband would not be available in many places.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
The Ouachita Mountains cover both Oklahoma and Arkansas Computerguy. You can live in the Quachita Mountains and still be in Oklahoma. The only problem out there is that broadband would not be available in many places.
No broadband???:ee k:

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
No broadband???:ee k:

M.
I imagine one could have broadband in places like Talahina. As much as I'd like to live in those mountains, I'd need to have my broadband as well.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:13 AM

3,160 posts, read 10,626,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post

Viewpoints on what?
Viewpoints on life in Oklahoma from someone who has not lived here for so long that everything is taken for granted, like I was until I started reading this forum, and other states' forums. I have learned to appreciate this state a lot more from your observations about life here. I am not really a native here, myself. Didn't mean to offend.

ComputerGuy, I should clarify and say our kids have opportunities as long as they work in OKC or Tulsa, or maybe Dallas. Those are all in easy visiting distance for us.

It is easier to travel longer distances here. For example, last week we were visiting in Edmond with our grandson. It was 4:30 pm and we had to be in Holdenville for a meeting at 6:00 pm, about 90 miles. So driving from the north part of Metro OKC to near downtown on I-35, then east on I-40 through traffic in Midwest City to Shawnee then through rural areas, we figured we would be on time. I put the pedal to the metal (almost) and we got there 15 minutes early. We could have stayed 15 minutes longer.

When we lived in Edmond, it was against the law to shoot a gun in the city limits. We had an acreage about 2 miles away in Logan County, where he could shoot as much as he wanted. Now, he can shoot off our back porch. It is advisable to have a concealed carry permit here, and I have thought about getting mine just for convenience in case I get stopped.

We think of neighbors as anyone who lives within about 5 miles. Probably people in rural areas are about the same all over the US. Some rural areas in the US get overrun with people from nearby giant cities who bring their problems with them. Sounds like that may be happening in your area in New Hampshire.

Redbird, I have known Choctaws and Chickasaws who were afraid to go near Kiowas, Apaches, or Comanches. Some of the Creeks think the Seminoles are uncivilized. Each tribe is very different from other tribes, IMO. Maybe there is more discrimination in Lawton and SW OK. Here in eastern OK it seems like we have parallel societies that get along well, but I don't know enough to say. A while ago someone made a comment on this forum that an Indian married to a white person was an inter-racial marriage. I was surprised by that since I had never thought of that before.

Colleeng47, I was in NJ a few years ago. We drove from NYC to Atlantic City on the turnpike, and back again. I couldn't believe all the deer along the turnpike at night. I was expecting something like Las Vegas in Atlantic City. We also visited a very nice town in NJ for a business meeting but I forget the name. I have never been north of NYC in the east, but I have always wanted to visit New England.

Wagons Ho!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I imagine one could have broadband in places like Talahina. As much as I'd like to live in those mountains, I'd need to have my broadband as well.
AMEN BROTHER!
And satellite won't cut it either!

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
AMEN BROTHER!
And satellite won't cut it either!

M.
Satellite is dial-up on caffeine. I wonder why, with all of the technology, get the speeds up on satellite service. It's probably some law or something.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggydavis View Post
Viewpoints on life in Oklahoma from someone who has not lived here for so long that everything is taken for granted, like I was until I started reading this forum, and other states' forums. I have learned to appreciate this state a lot more from your observations about life here. I am not really a native here, myself. Didn't mean to offend.
You have a REALLY good point there.

Quote:
ComputerGuy, I should clarify and say our kids have opportunities as long as they work in OKC or Tulsa, or maybe Dallas. Those are all in easy visiting distance for us.
So let me ask you this...

Don't any of the cities with populations of 30 - 50K+ in OK have lots of accounting firms, insurance, real estate businesses, auto sales etc. ?

We're in the middle of nowhere and we have that... Enough for me to make a living on at least... Even up here where it's more expensive to live and the economy is slightly depressed.

Are you saying that the only place there's any decent employment or commerce is in OKC and Tulsa? I've been seeing that in this thread, but being of Canadian / Italian decent, I'm a little thick.

Then again, my dislike of large cities is probably because I'm only directly familiar with Boston and NYC. (And if I never see them again, it will be too soon.)

I realize that OKC and Tulsa are different than those cities, but I still tend to shy away from big cities. I prefer to live and work in places with less than 50K people if given my druthers.

I went from MA where we had about 50K to Derry, NH where we had 32K to where I am now. My town has 2K and the towns nearby that I make my living in are 10K and 6K respectively.

It would be nice if I could do the same in OK.

My work is topnotch and I have the references to prove it.. And I'm definitely not lazy... I EARN my money.

Quote:
It is easier to travel longer distances here. For example, last week we were visiting in Edmond with our grandson. It was 4:30 pm and we had to be in Holdenville for a meeting at 6:00 pm, about 90 miles. So driving from the north part of Metro OKC to near downtown on I-35, then east on I-40 through traffic in Midwest City to Shawnee then through rural areas, we figured we would be on time. I put the pedal to the metal (almost) and we got there 15 minutes early. We could have stayed 15 minutes longer.
I can understand that.

To go 11 mi. where I used to live took about 20 - 25 minutes with all the traffic and lights. Where I live now the same distance takes less than 15 minutes...
Without ever going over the speed limit.

Quote:
When we lived in Edmond, it was against the law to shoot a gun in the city limits. We had an acreage about 2 miles away in Logan County, where he could shoot as much as he wanted. Now, he can shoot off our back porch. It is advisable to have a concealed carry permit here,
Why do you say that?
(lots of crime I assume?)

Although I felt better carrying in the Southern part of NH, I seldom carry where I live now (except for hiking in the deep woods). There's very little crime here, but it's been slowly increasing. (Still nothing to write home about... You guys would laugh.)

In MA it was near impossible for a mere mortal to get a permit.
(Read communist state!)

Quote:
and I have thought about getting mine just for convenience in case I get stopped.
I'm not going to ask the very obvious question that your comment brings to mind.

Quote:
We think of neighbors as anyone who lives within about 5 miles. Probably people in rural areas are about the same all over the US. Some rural areas in the US get overrun with people from nearby giant cities who bring their problems with them. Sounds like that may be happening in your area in New Hampshire.
Looks like you've hit the nail on the head here.

They come from their nasty old cities and then try to change the place to be just like what they left behind.... Makes no sense, but that's how it seems to be going. I guess they don't learn.

Peggy, it's always a pleasure to type with you.

Thanks,

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Satellite is dial-up on caffeine. I wonder why, with all of the technology, get the speeds up on satellite service. It's probably some law or something.
It has to do with the up-link speeds and the technology involved. The REAL problem with consumer grade satellite service is the reliability, it's sensitivity to the weather and the fact that even good satellite service is subject to about a 25% rate of packet loss.

It's okay for the average Joe who just does a little surfing and e-mail, but it doesn't cut it for our uses.

Satellite? No thanks!

(Now watch me end up in a cool place in the sticks that we couldn't refuse.)

M.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,996,360 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

you should have been here a few weeks ago. A fellas pigs got out after dark......you should have heard the cussing and carrying on. Especially when he stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle.
I thought you didn't have any neighbors?

Besides... If my new neighbors had a pig and it got out, the only way we could tell would be that the pig would be smaller, quieter and have more clothing on than their kids do.
You missed the last bit of that one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma