Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:11 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,670,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
Nobody had heard of Tulsa until the Hansen boys did Ummbop
That commotion you just heard was JJ Cale and Leon Russell turning over in their graves...

With Elvin Bishop and David Gates nearby collapsing with heart attacks...

And Joe Diffie, Dwight Twilley providing CPR...

And the GAP Band driving the ambulance.

On their way to the Bob Wills hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 05:14 PM

24,281 posts, read 13,134,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
That commotion you just heard was JJ Cale and Leon Russell turning over in their graves...

With Elvin Bishop and David Gates nearby collapsing with heart attacks...

And Joe Diffie, Dwight Twilley providing CPR...

And the GAP Band driving the ambulance.

On their way to the Bob Wills hospital.
...being towed by The Tractors...

Old 05-24-2023, 09:02 PM

577 posts, read 561,149 times
Memphis newscasts and others routinely refer to Memphis as the "Mid-South". I think probably Memphis is a little too far north to be in the Deep South, so the logical description therefore is mid-south.

Also Memphis is at the corner of three states, so it presumably needed to adopt a descriptor for the Memphis region across west TN, eastern AR, and north MS.

Nashville newscasts used to refer to it as the Mid-South but apparently a couple of decades ago someone decided to change it to "Mid-State." Maybe Nashville leaders thought the southern reference would conjure negative images and hurt growth etc. Whatever they did seems to have worked.

As for Oklahoma, a big part of it doesn't look southern due to the lack of trees. However everything east of OKC is actually pretty green. The other thing is that Oklahoma is a big Baptist state similar to other southern states, which sets it apart from neighbors such as Kansas and Nebraska.

I was in Omaha last year and noticed that all the churches in that area are either Catholic or Lutheran. Not a Baptist church in site. Fascinating how history played out in that way. I assume that Kansas and Nebraska got a lot more immigrants from places like Germany who brought the Catholic and Lutheran churches with them. That's a huge cultural distinction from evangelical places such as Tulsa.

Old 05-25-2023, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
Memphis newscasts and others routinely refer to Memphis as the "Mid-South". I think probably Memphis is a little too far north to be in the Deep South, so the logical description therefore is mid-south.

Also Memphis is at the corner of three states, so it presumably needed to adopt a descriptor for the Memphis region across west TN, eastern AR, and north MS.

Nashville newscasts used to refer to it as the Mid-South but apparently a couple of decades ago someone decided to change it to "Mid-State." Maybe Nashville leaders thought the southern reference would conjure negative images and hurt growth etc. Whatever they did seems to have worked.

As for Oklahoma, a big part of it doesn't look southern due to the lack of trees. However everything east of OKC is actually pretty green. The other thing is that Oklahoma is a big Baptist state similar to other southern states, which sets it apart from neighbors such as Kansas and Nebraska.

I was in Omaha last year and noticed that all the churches in that area are either Catholic or Lutheran. Not a Baptist church in site. Fascinating how history played out in that way. I assume that Kansas and Nebraska got a lot more immigrants from places like Germany who brought the Catholic and Lutheran churches with them. That's a huge cultural distinction from evangelical places such as Tulsa.
Although the Baptist church thing cannot be disputed.... an interesting thing about Oklahoma is that you can draw a line diagonally across the state roughly following I-44. Above that line the ethnicity of the anglo population still tends to be historically German. Below that line... Irish.

It reflects the settlement patterns in Oklahoma. South and Southeast? Southerners. North and Northwest? Wheat farmers from further points in the northern plains states.

Don't think we have many French people here so I'd say that "Paris" thing about Tulsa is pretty suspect.

Old 05-25-2023, 09:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,805,986 times
Quote:
Although the Baptist church thing cannot be disputed.... an interesting thing about Oklahoma is that you can draw a line diagonally across the state roughly following I-44. Above that line the ethnicity of the anglo population still tends to be historically German. Below that line... Irish.

It reflects the settlement patterns in Oklahoma. South and Southeast? Southerners. North and Northwest? Wheat farmers from further points in the northern plains states.

Don't think we have many French people here so I'd say that "Paris" thing about Tulsa is pretty suspect.

It's interesting how the Southern Baptist dominance doesn't bleed across state lines at all. Going into New Mexico, Colorado, or Kansas, it's immediately Methodist or Catholic.

Old 06-23-2023, 01:16 PM

679 posts, read 273,371 times
In other "Paris of the Southwest" news, Tulsa Opera announced yesterday that their Director resigned and they have canceled all of their main stage productions (both of them) for the '23-'24 season. Their future is sounding pretty bleak, unless Kaiser rides to the rescue.

Old 06-28-2023, 07:33 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil capital View Post
In other "Paris of the Southwest" news, Tulsa Opera announced yesterday that their Director resigned and they have canceled all of their main stage productions (both of them) for the '23-'24 season. Their future is sounding pretty bleak, unless Kaiser rides to the rescue.
Mr. Kaiser aways does...

Old 06-29-2023, 10:11 AM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yes Sir. Folks like myself who have lived out of Oklahoma (both coasts including New England) and rubbin' elbows with folks regularly from the Midwest I've met none who consider Oklahoma or Tulsa the Midwest.

Each to his own I guess. We don't all have to be right. :-)
If you have to put everything into a box..

Among the choices: South, Midwest, Great Plains
I pick Plains for Oklahoma easily.
Between South and Midwest
I would pick South for Oklahoma
Midwest isn't totally wrong either. The weather is more Midwest than South. Yes, it's ridiculously hot in Oklahoma currently, but it's also quite hot in St Louis and just going by overall year in and year out weather in Tulsa sems more like Missouri or Kansas than Mississippi and Louisiana

Old 06-29-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
If you have to put everything into a box..

Among the choices: South, Midwest, Great Plains
I pick Plains for Oklahoma easily.
Between South and Midwest
I would pick South for Oklahoma
Midwest isn't totally wrong either. The weather is more Midwest than South. Yes, it's ridiculously hot in Oklahoma currently, but it's also quite hot in St Louis and just going by overall year in and year out weather in Tulsa sems more like Missouri or Kansas than Mississippi and Louisiana
If you want to illustrate the part of Oklahoma that is midwest (in a Kansas sort of way) all one needs to do is look at a map of the 1964 Presidential Election. Obviously the whole map would be red today but back then the south was Democrat and all the Kansas wheat farmers in the northwest part of the state were Republicans. Tulsa went Republican as did the oil company communities in Ponca City and Bartlesville. Some people consider Tulsa to have a midwest element that has existed from it's founding by the oil tycoons who were trying to develop a non oil field town across the river from the Glen pool.

Interestingly not a lot of the map is dark blue or dark red.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
Quote:
If you want to illustrate the part of Oklahoma that is midwest (in a Kansas sort of way) all one needs to do is look at a map of the 1964 Presidential Election. Obviously the whole map would be red today but back then the south was Democrat and all the Kansas wheat farmers in the northwest part of the state were Republicans. Tulsa went Republican as did the oil company communities in Ponca City and Bartlesville. Some people consider Tulsa to have a midwest element that has existed from it's founding by the oil tycoons who were trying to develop a non oil field town across the river from the Glen pool.

Interestingly not a lot of the map is dark blue or dark red.
More of a Dixiecrat map no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma