Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 10:01 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,978,684 times

Advertisements

Calf fries at Clanton's in Vinita is worth the trip

Lamb fries at the Capri in Krebs or Cattleman's at the stockyards in OKC are worth the trip.

Haven't located a hog fries place yet....if you hear of one let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

Lamb fries at the Capri in Krebs or Cattleman's at the stockyards in OKC are worth the trip.

First, you butcher your own hog...

Old 10-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
First, you butcher your own hog...
you actually should cut them well before you butcher them. cutting a full grown hog is a tough job...........and to get a meal for a couple of people you would have to butcher a dozen or so at once. Better cut a couple of dozen of them when they are shoats. And I just don't want to raise that many hogs.....more than half a dozen is too many.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,642 times
Quote:
you actually should cut them well before you butcher them. cutting a full grown hog is a tough job...........and to get a meal for a couple of people you would have to butcher a dozen or so at once. Better cut a couple of dozen of them when they are shoats. And I just don't want to raise that many hogs.....more than half a dozen is too many.
Believe me, I know how tough an old hog can be! My first stepfather ended up shooting one in the Ozarks where they were squirrel hunting, and an old sow treed the hunters. We had a dozen or so piglets running around the basement squealing non-stop until they were given away, and we ate that old sow [family of 5] for at least a year. My mother couldn't even look at a pork chop without turning green for a very long time after that.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:24 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,532,523 times
Quote:

GP's Greasy Spoon Diner maybe?

Old 10-11-2008, 07:55 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,481,729 times
I am trying to find a liking for Okra but how do you make it not be so slimey. I like friend okra but it seems all I taste is the breading.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 PM

152 posts, read 370,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I am trying to find a liking for Okra but how do you make it not be so slimey. I like friend okra but it seems all I taste is the breading.

I hear ya Chickrae! If there is a Del Rancho near you go check it out. I wish I knew how they make the best okra I have ever had.

Good okra recipes seem to be a secret that no one want's to reveal!...

Old 10-11-2008, 08:07 PM

What is the problem with the slime?

Generally if you fry the okra first before you put it in your gumbo or or other "wet" mixture you will minimize or eliminate the slime.

Here is a crispy okra salad idea for you to experiment with:

1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium or 2 small tomatoes, quartered, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
About 8 cups canola oil for frying
1 pound fresh okra, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips
4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
some Indian or Thai spices

mix onion, tomato, and cilantro then refrigerate until ready to use. Fry okra in batches until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes then drain. Combine okra, onion-tomato mixture, lemon juice, salt, and Indian Spices in a bowl. Toss and serve.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:12 PM

maybe thats the probem, I tried to steam it and I about gagged and my DH just ate it like nothing........but then hes from here, well Arkansas. I guess I also will have to try black eyed peas too. Oh and fried pickles are the best!

Old 10-11-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Here is a crispy okra salad idea for you to experiment with:

1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
1 medium or 2 small tomatoes, quartered, seeded, and diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
About 8 cups canola oil for frying
1 pound fresh okra, trimmed and cut lengthwise into thin strips
4 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
some Indian or Thai spices

mix onion, tomato, and cilantro then refrigerate until ready to use. Fry okra in batches until golden brown, about 5 to 7 minutes then drain. Combine okra, onion-tomato mixture, lemon juice, salt, and Indian Spices in a bowl. Toss and serve.
That sounds pretty dang good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma