Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times

Advertisements

Thanks for telling me about Blue Dome. I will have to go there.

I used to live in Berkeley. Not far from Danville.

I know that their are liberals here, but they are few and far between. You just have to know how to find them, and I do think that even though colleges here are conservative, it is best to live in a college town because you may find some of the professors there more liberal. But what is the change of becoming a friend to a professor?

There is just so much else that Oklahoma offers that you just don't concern yourself with the politics. I think if one is very political and liberal, it could be hard.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:14 AM

152 posts, read 370,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlsrr View Post
Oklahoma is very concervatis I don't think there are may librels here. you might want to go to austin. I live here in Oklahoma I moved from CA. I am ready to go back.
Please, and really, I am not trying to be smug. Please do it then.
Go back.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:19 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
In Oklahoma City and Norman as had been said earlier, you have to know where to go. Al Gore got 7000 people to show up for his speech in Norman.

In Norman, the campus area is more liberal (less conservative than the rest of Norman) but if you are over 25 I would recommend going to OKC and living just north of downtown close to an area known as "the Paseo" and around 23rd street. It is somewhat of an enclave of liberal types as it is an arts district. The area just west of dowtown (south of Oklahoma City University) is also a liberal type enclave. The Mayflower Congregational Church, the Unitarians also would be a good place to find some liberal types.

Old 03-16-2007, 02:33 PM

11 posts, read 73,661 times
I've lived in Oklahoma for most of my life... my family is originally from Chicago. I am very liberal myself.

I think your best bet, if you must move to Oklahoma, is to move to Norman or OKC. I can't say much about Tulsa, as I have no experience there. But Norman is RELATIVELY liberal, due to the university. You really can't compare the liberality of any city in Oklahoma to Boulder or Berkley--it's an apples and oranges thing.

I live in OKC. I have been able to find what i call little "oases" of progressiveness... hard to say exactly how... i've worked at the Oklahoma Gazette (OKC's alternative newsweekly to the conservative Daily Oklahoman), and in various creative scenarios, where more liberal-minded people tend to be. I'm an out lesbian and have never had anyone give me grief... of course, i may just be lucky!

I work and go to school at Oklahoma City University, which has sexual orientation written into its non-discrimination statement. I am telling you that to give you an indicator of how liberal it is... people may disagree, but i'm finding it to be a very progressive place to work and go to school.

So, it's not impossible to be a liberal in OKC. You'll definitely meet like-minded people. There are pockets of liberalism, for sure... you're just outnumbered, and if anything it strengthens your convictions--i've had to defend my views a LOT. But no one's been too mean.

Good luck
tamalli

Old 03-21-2007, 02:06 PM

77 posts, read 523,917 times
Seems as though every thread i encounter there are many responses not having to do with the purpose of the thread! It becomes some sort of tulsa travel guide LLLOOOOLLL.

The answer to your question about consevative and liberal is very hidden in ole okie homa. Tulsa is definitely the bible city(conservative-duh) when compared to okc. ORAL ROBERTS practically designed the city-he built a university with praying hands-made everything gold and white to resemble the heavens- this would BE conservative-not to mention the towers blah blah blah. Tulsans know exactly what im talking about(they like the idea of being better in every way).Even silly stuff like this sort of question. Older generation in tulsa-younger in Okc. More free thinkers-next to a research institute(OU). larger gay populations/even a resort called the habana-nations largest. More diversity with color/acceptance with wardrobe/Two tier city will have more liberal views than a three tier city like tulsa. Look up the stats.

Oh- regarding shopping.....What? Synops dont take shopping in tulsa so seriously...WOW! how defensive can you get! Soon you will be upset over the dirt!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 08:05 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad8974 View Post
Seems as though every thread i encounter there are many responses not having to do with the purpose of the thread! It becomes some sort of tulsa travel guide LLLOOOOLLL.

The answer to your question about consevative and liberal is very hidden in ole okie homa. Tulsa is definitely the bible city(conservative-duh) when compared to okc. ORAL ROBERTS practically designed the city-he built a university with praying hands-made everything gold and white to resemble the heavens- this would BE conservative-not to mention the towers blah blah blah. Tulsans know exactly what im talking about(they like the idea of being better in every way).Even silly stuff like this sort of question. Older generation in tulsa-younger in Okc. More free thinkers-next to a research institute(OU). larger gay populations/even a resort called the habana-nations largest. More diversity with color/acceptance with wardrobe/Two tier city will have more liberal views than a three tier city like tulsa. Look up the stats.

Oh- regarding shopping.....What? Synops dont take shopping in tulsa so seriously...WOW! how defensive can you get! Soon you will be upset over the dirt!!!
Shad, I'm glad to see the moderators of this forum have seen fit to assign you an appropriate moniker. Good bye..

Old 03-24-2007, 10:03 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,529,748 times
Default THEE most liberal place in Oklahoma is....

I tend to agree with Synopsis, I could care less who is liberal and who is conservative. My standard reply would be the most liberal place in Oklahoma or anywhere else is in your mind. I am politically challenged though.

This part of the state (south central) is Free Will --cough-- Oh, relax, some of my best friends are -cough- ! As you can see, religion and politics are not one of the primary reasons why I would move anywhere. To each his own. Just how often does one talk to the neighbors about politics?

""Why I kin remember when ah first moved round heah, it wuz nothin but conservies as fur as the eye can see, nowadays, them newfangled politicee correct dudes is all movin in and WHAM! thar goes the nayberhood!""

I don't think you're going to find too many birkenstock and tie-dye crowds here other than at a concert at the Zoo Amphitheater. If you are truly intent on finding a liberal city, go to Lawrence, KS, or someplace that really fits the bill.

I also like what Guthrie says. If you are not happy in Oklahoma- or any other state for that matter, by all means don't let the doorknob hit you where the good Lord split you. Peace out, bro.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 15,985 times
Default Liberal

Liberal is a state of mind. It is your responsibility to make your world liberal. If you want the freedom to walk the streets naked or have orange and black hair. Go for it. But note that you are not safe anywhere. If you are concerned about a church on every corner which Oklahoma seems to be "famous" for. I am sorry. Granted we have churches "a plenty" but in most communities thier influence is minimial. Every community whether Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado or even Texas (churches a plenty as well) have liberal avenues that can be explored. Each one will have things brought to the for-front that are not logical or even worth discussing. I spent many years in the dark about political issues and have come to determinations on my own on where I want my world to go from here.
Oklahoma is great! It is not about liberal vs. conservative. It is about finding a home that you would want to live your life out. It a fact that the cost of living here is cheaper that most areas of the country. We have plenty to do and if you need more Kansas City and Dallas/Fort Worth are a plane or road trip away.
By the way - we have indoor plumbing now!

Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 PM

77 posts, read 523,917 times
---- I do get the impression that it Oklahoma is a very conservative place, with what I imagine to be a 'church on every corner'

I am living in eastern North Carolina at the moment, which in itself is somewhat conservative. Guess what I am seeking would be the 'Austin' of Oklahoma- without the cost!

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, thanks.

--The point was to show this person the most liberal place to live in OK-not to show him it doesnt matter if you are a liberal or conservative. the recent views expressed are ones own political stance or the way one lives life.

Again- Norman is the most liberal city in oklahoma. OU is very liberal- on campus...on the streets....at the bars...and at the library.
But- as mentioned oklahoma city university and surrounding inner districts are liberal/especially the peseo art distict/community of artists. I have lived in both areas BFA at oklahoma city university. MFA at OU. Take advice from an artist who has lived in OKC for thirty years. peace

Old 03-31-2007, 04:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
Well, there you have it Guru. You can stop looking because Shad has spoken and Shad says that Norman is the most liberal city in the entire state. Shad is THE AUTHORITY on all things liberal, and on all things Oklahoma. Shad also seems to be much the moderator these days by pointing out the original intent of the thread, regardless if the topic has drifted but is still relevant to the subject at hand.

So, Guru, your search is over because Shad has a very diverse attitude about all places in Oklahoma. Norman, Tulsa, OkC, there'll a great places to Shad, just check out her "objective posts" elsewhwere on this forum.

She has no real preference over any particular city in Oklahoma, they're all great - as long as it's Norman or OkC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma