Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I have a problem with hyperbole and lying.

Would you have a problem with it if I was constantly claiming that there are gays here who - every time I go downtown - start hitting on me, make lewd gestures, and try to dry hump me?
No, I wouldn't "have a problem with it if {you were} constantly claiming that there are gays here who.... start hitting on {you}". You are relating your experiences. Your experiences aren't nonsense or right or wrong. I wouldn't criticize or try to belittle what happened to you, nor do I think you should criticize others. If someone says that they were sexually abused by their uncle, would you then go on to criticize them for exaggerating or posting "nonsense"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:28 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
The way he/she went about writing that post was a bit exaggerative and irresponsible, but I honestly think he/she has a valid point. You don't need to get so defensive because someone says one bad thing about Omaha. You are doing the same thing that I see from posters (probably Asian) in the Hawaii forum, which is flat out denying that there is racism toward whites in Hawaii except in this case it is flipped. While it is very annoying for people to exaggerate racism anywhere, it's also annoying when people dismiss it and claim the place is all kumbaya.
You're mixing the two issues.

Is there racism in Omaha. Well duh! There is racism everywhere.

Is it wide spread or common. Absolutely not, but that is what that poster was trying to imply.

You also have to remember that we get a lot of people that do this here in the Omaha forum. I honestly suspect it's 1 or 2 people posting under different names, but we'll routinely have some newbie who comes in here, makes some great claims about how racist Omaha is and never shows up again. A lot of us are sick of it, and know it's a lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lali_80 View Post
I wish I could be exaggerating . Moving here is going to change their life completely, the most responsible thing I could do, is to warn them.
You're downright full of ****, and I lived in Omaha for three times as long as you have.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I have a problem with hyperbole and lying.

Would you have a problem with it if I was constantly claiming that there are gays here who - every time I go downtown - start hitting on me, make lewd gestures, and try to dry hump me?
How do you know the poster is lying? Are you omniscient?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:47 AM

1,181 posts, read 4,011,095 times
I think Omaha Rocks' problem is that people get on various threads and just throw out accusations. And when they do it they generally use statements like "its the most racist place I've ever been" or "everyone here is a racist" or "people here are bigots" and etc.

No one here denies that racism exists in Omaha. My point, however, has always been that racism in Omaha is no worse than other place.

There are issues that people have to deal with no matter where you live. The OP, presumably Hawaiian, is going to face these same problems anywhere else they move. Unless they restrict their destinations to about 1% of the country then these are things that are going to have to be dealt with.

This is why I get annoyed. I simply get tired of hearing about how horribly racist Omaha is. I think the reality is that the population is relatively homogeneous, but not racist. I think sometimes a person of minority status may feel out of place because they see a lot of white guys around. That's not the same thing as racism though. That's where I think Omaha Rocks has a point.

Anyway, no one is denying racism exists...but Omaha is not a den of racism and is no worse or better than anywhere else. So the OP should NOT be worried at all about moving to Omaha because of racism! Now, if they want a large Islander population then Omaha probably isn't a great fit. But they shouldn't make their decision on the belief that Omaha is a racist community...its not.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:50 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
I think Omaha Rocks' problem is that people get on various threads and just throw out accusations. And when they do it they generally use statements like "its the most racist place I've ever been" or "everyone here is a racist" or "people here are bigots" and etc.

No one here denies that racism exists in Omaha. My point, however, has always been that racism in Omaha is no worse than other place.

There are issues that people have to deal with no matter where you live. The OP, presumably Hawaiian, is going to face these same problems anywhere else they move. Unless they restrict their destinations to about 1% of the country then these are things that are going to have to be dealt with.

This is why I get annoyed. I simply get tired of hearing about how horribly racist Omaha is. I think the reality is that the population is relatively homogeneous, but not racist. I think sometimes a person of minority status may feel out of place because they see a lot of white guys around. That's not the same thing as racism though. That's where I think Omaha Rocks has a point.

Anyway, no one is denying racism exists...but Omaha is not a den of racism and is no worse or better than anywhere else. So the OP should NOT be worried at all about moving to Omaha because of racism! Now, if they want a large Islander population then Omaha probably isn't a great fit. But they shouldn't make their decision on the belief that Omaha is a racist community...its not.
Excellent post. My sentiments exactly.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
This thread is dealing with racism in Omaha. The OP asked a question, and I answered. You are trying way too hard to make it look like racism isn't a problem in Omaha, but you're not really getting anywhere with it.
No, I think you've made it perfectly clear that racism is indeed alive and well in Omaha. Congratulations on being at the very center of it.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Where exactly are you hanging out downtown? I want to go there!
I was outside the old Zio's Pizza, and there was this weirdo in a cowboy hat that was not only hitting on me, but protesting Zio's Pizza. Go figure.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
How do you know the poster is lying? Are you omniscient?
Yes, as a matter of fact, I am. From here on out, please refer to me as God.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post

Exactly.

They're going to have a lot more problems with snow and ice than they are with racism.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:15 PM

Part of my "life experience" is that I've actually been around people - either standing or sitting next to them having a conversation - who have said stuff like, "Did you see that? That guy was staring at me because I'm black!" or "That black dude is sneering at me. I know he's trying to pick a fight!"

All I can do is say, "Nope, I didn't see that at all."

The problem, then, is that they go onto forums like this and claim that they're the victims of racism. But the truth is more apt to be that somebody of a different race happened to be in the same vicinity as them and looked at them - or somebody of a different race said something to them in a store, and they assumed it was a racist comment.

I guess maybe I should put on my Racism Radar, and turn it way up to Hyper-Sensitive. Maybe then I'd start seeing all this horrid racism we're always hearing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha