Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 01:11 PM

19 posts, read 91,653 times

Advertisements

I came from another country, so I am by no means going to tell you how to live here, but it seems to me that you would only benefit from good municipal snow removal service that would clean not only big streets, but also small ones in residential areas. I love snow, and it's a pity that it brings problems instead of fun.

And don't make fun of small cars--they make your air cleaner and your country less dependent on oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 02:04 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger View Post
I came from another country, so I am by no means going to tell you how to live here, but it seems to me that you would only benefit from good municipal snow removal service that would clean not only big streets, but also small ones in residential areas. I love snow, and it's a pity that it brings problems instead of fun.

And don't make fun of small cars--they make your air cleaner and your country less dependent on oil.
Oh good point, the City and County should probably consider buying some plows, you know, because we might benefit from it.

Muahahahahaha!!!!

Old 12-26-2009, 02:57 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,687,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post
Oh good point, the City and County should probably consider buying some plows, you know, because we might benefit from it.

Muahahahahaha!!!!
Yeah, some huge orange thing rumbled past our house early this morning. Snow everywhere. It was weird.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post

Muahahahahaha!!!!
Do they buy only what you don't benefit from?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Do they buy only what you don't benefit from?
I'll cut to the chase here...

Do you really think Omaha doesn't already have hundreds of snow plows?

The problem is that when you get a blizzard, it takes several days to get all the streets plowed in a city of about 3/4 million people.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Do you really think Omaha doesn't already have hundreds of snow plows?

The problem is that when you get a blizzard, it takes several days to get all the streets plowed in a city of about 3/4 million people.
I really know that it is possible to solve this problem more effectively even in cities much bigger then Omaha. And it is not a matter of equipment--much more of commitment and effectiveness.

And that there are better ways to deal with snow then just plowing. Say, there are machines that load snow on trucks, and it is then taken away from the streets. Just try to walk a mile now, and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I really know that it is possible to solve this problem more effectively even in cities much bigger then Omaha. And it is not a matter of equipment--much more of commitment and effectiveness.

And that there are better ways to deal with snow then just plowing. Say, there are machines that load snow on trucks, and it is then taken away from the streets. Just try to walk a mile now, and you'll see what I mean.
I don't want to be weird here, but why are you doing this? Midwestern cities are VERY familiar with snow, snow storms, blizzards, snow removal, etc. Really, they are.

This is not something that is foreign to anybody here, except maybe a few people who have moved here within the last year.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
but why are you doing this?
Doing what? Sorry, I really don't understand.

Quote:
Midwestern cities are VERY familiar with snow, snow storms, blizzards, snow removal, etc. Really, they are.

This is not something that is foreign to anybody here, except maybe a few people who have moved here within the last year.
Hmm, the thread started from a question, why people here complain about snow, and I only suggested, why. Snow is not foreign for me too--I just know that snow removal services can work better, but if you are satisfied with them, it's up to you.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,527,614 times
Quote:

Hmm, the thread started from a question, why people here complain about snow, and I only suggested, why. Snow is not foreign for me too--I just know that snow removal services can work better, but if you are satisfied with them, it's up to you.
I think the only point you have made is that you obviously have no idea how municipalities operate within the constraints of a very limited budget.

I bet you think it would be very "effective" if the city would mandate geothermal heating for all roadways too, right?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:

We ALL know that snow removal services could work better. We could have a veritable army of truck-mounted snowblowers, filling semi-trailers full of snow and hauling it somewhere outside the city. We know how it's done.

There's just one little problem: MONEY.

No municipality has unlimited money. And what money is there needs to be budgeted over a lot of different needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha