Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM

19 posts, read 91,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
There's just one little problem: MONEY.
Sure. And another one, even more important: priorities. That's it.

Ok, it's a fruitless discussion. You are voters here, not me, and it is up to you to decide how things should go here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 12:02 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger View Post
Sure. And another one, even more important: priorities. That's it.

Ok, it's a fruitless discussion. You are voters here, not me, and it is up to you to decide how things should go here.
You're right. It's priorities.

As a property owner and tax payer, I'd rather have it take one extra day for the snow plow to come by my house, than have my property taxes double. I'd also rather have streets that are in good condition and sanitary sewers that work, than streets that are plowed within 12-hours after the snow stops falling.

Yes, it's priorities. What I'm getting at is that we KNOW it's a matter of priorities. Dealing with snow is ONE of those priorities.

Last edited by Omaha Rocks; 12-28-2009 at 12:13 AM..

Old 12-28-2009, 01:19 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,468 times
Quote:
You're right. It's priorities.

As a property owner and tax payer, I'd rather have it take one extra day for the snow plow to come by my house, than have my property taxes double. I'd also rather have streets that are in good condition and sanitary sewers that work, than streets that are plowed within 12-hours after the snow stops falling.

Yes, it's priorities. What I'm getting at is that we KNOW it's a matter of priorities. Dealing with snow is ONE of those priorities.
Good response, I ran out of energy for a decent rebuttal.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:16 AM

704 posts, read 1,871,679 times
It's just a general nuisance. I drive a Ford Explorer so travel is not a problem. But I work 50 hours a week and have a small child at home. I don't have time to dedicate to scooping snow. I want to spend that time with my family.

When I single I enjoyed the snow, now that I 've got other stuff to do. I hate the snow!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:59 PM

1,181 posts, read 4,010,255 times
Finger,

Not to beat it to death, but Omaha and the midwest has plenty of experience with snow. And as you stated, sure, we "could" have it cleaned off faster. However, people in the real world deal with finite resources, so to spend another $1 million on snow removal per year would mean cutting something else by the same amount. Furthermore, the streets in Omaha are pretty darn good considering the volume of snow we just received. The fact of the matter is, as has already been stated, its a nuisance and its one that pretty much disappears within about 24 hours of a storm. On top of it, its an unpredictable nuisance. Its kind of hard to budget the exact amount of resources necessary to handle such a thing as there is a fair amount of variability from year to year. It boils down to living in the real world.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Hey - yesterday I saw a guy busting around neighborhood streets with a STX 535 QuadTrac, and about a 14' snow blade on it. I would love to have been driving it!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpoulsen View Post
Finger,

Not to beat it to death, but Omaha and the midwest has plenty of experience with snow. And as you stated, sure, we "could" have it cleaned off faster. However, people in the real world deal with finite resources, so to spend another $1 million on snow removal per year would mean cutting something else by the same amount. Furthermore, the streets in Omaha are pretty darn good considering the volume of snow we just received. The fact of the matter is, as has already been stated, its a nuisance and its one that pretty much disappears within about 24 hours of a storm. On top of it, its an unpredictable nuisance. Its kind of hard to budget the exact amount of resources necessary to handle such a thing as there is a fair amount of variability from year to year. It boils down to living in the real world.

One main problem with Omaha's snow removal has become obvious to me these past couple days.

People parking in the streets, and abandoned vehicles in the way.

On one street, where I own a rental house, the snow plows didn't clear the street until Sunday afternoon BECAUSE people had cars parked on both sides of the street and a plow literally could not pass between them.

Again this morning I saw a mini-van at the corner of 52nd & Ames, sitting in the right turn lane, keeping that lane from being opened further and/or used. It is not in a parking spot, but a driving lane. The van has been there since Sunday night - for 36 hours now.

My family moved to Omaha from Minnesota - where your vehicle WILL get towed in a Snow Emergency, if you leave it parked where it shouldn't be. It was not a question of if, but of how soon.

Why are Omaha residents not required to get vehicles out of the way, so city crews can get through with snow plows?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM

3,284 posts, read 3,524,468 times
Quote:

Why are Omaha residents not required to get vehicles out of the way, so city crews can get through with snow plows?
They are during declarations of snow energency. That vehicle should have been towed. I'm quite surprsied is hasn't been actually.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM

193 posts, read 656,342 times
Quote:
One main problem with Omaha's snow removal has become obvious to me these past couple days.

People parking in the streets, and abandoned vehicles in the way.

On one street, where I own a rental house, the snow plows didn't clear the street until Sunday afternoon BECAUSE people had cars parked on both sides of the street and a plow literally could not pass between them.

Again this morning I saw a mini-van at the corner of 52nd & Ames, sitting in the right turn lane, keeping that lane from being opened further and/or used. It is not in a parking spot, but a driving lane. The van has been there since Sunday night - for 36 hours now.

My family moved to Omaha from Minnesota - where your vehicle WILL get towed in a Snow Emergency, if you leave it parked where it shouldn't be. It was not a question of if, but of how soon.

What if you don't have anywhere to park? On my street, a lot of people don't have off street parking and all of the near by parking lots are for apartment tenants.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,553,962 times
Did Omaha even declare a snow emergency? - don't remember hearing it.

I know Ralston, LaVista, Papillion, and Gretna did - I drove around those areas quite a bit and it looks like people really paid attention to it - hardly any cars on the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha